DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where to go with this. On Oct. 19th I had my installation of Hr20 and K9 dish. From day one every other local channel (SD) would be heavily pixalated. I called and they said they would get another tech out here in about a week. Tech came out and we both concurred it was the box so he called and had them send me another. Well it came today and same problem?? When I called, tech support told me it is a known issue and they are working on software update? When I spoke to customer service they basically said I have to live with it until update comes around!! I cannot believe everyone is having this problem as I have not read it anywhere on here. For the record I have the latest update and I am hooked up via HDMI...same with component. Thanks for your input.
Frank

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
The SD Locals should all becoming from the same transponders, on the 101 SAT... But the fact that two different boxes are having the issue..

What kind of signal strength are you seing for your 101 Sat.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,472 Posts
franco said:
From day one every other local channel (SD) would be heavily pixalated.
To me, this smells of a problem with the dish (specifically, the LNB).

When you say "every other", do you mean in channel number order or just as a general statement?

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
harsh said:
To me, this smells of a problem with the dish (specifically, the LNB).

When you say "every other", do you mean in channel number order or just as a general statement?
every other channel as in 2 not 4, 7 not 17. Only on the locals mind you. and sometimes it reverses as in 4 not 2 ect. Hope im clear on this

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
The SD Locals should all becoming from the same transponders, on the 101 SAT... But the fact that two different boxes are having the issue..

What kind of signal strength are you seing for your 101 Sat.
Earl,
signals are all good but I was told my locals were comming from Sat 119??

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,472 Posts
franco said:
every other channel as in 2 not 4, 7 not 17. Only on the locals mind you. and sometimes it reverses as in 4 not 2 ect. Hope im clear on this
This may be a problem with switching polarity in the LNB. The alternating channel thing usually doesn't change back and forth though.

Do you know anyone nearby where you could test your receiver? I bet you'll find that the problem is in the dish or cabling.

· Banned
1,199 Posts
Wow, that sounds serious. Hard to believe the software update is going to fix that problem. Not sure what I would do. I might have them send back the installer and see if it's a dish issue, or replace the dish.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
franco said:
Earl,
signals are all good but I was told my locals were comming from Sat 119??
That is possible...... I just saw the NY part..

Have you tried connecting the unit directly to the Dish?

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
That is possible...... I just saw the NY part..

Have you tried connecting the unit directly to the Dish?
Ok Earl, Pardon my dumbness but how do I do that?? This is the only room in the house hooked up , is there still a "switch" somewhere I can bypass?? I really am clueless with this stuff

· Registered
12,607 Posts
franco said:
Ok Earl, Pardon my dumbness but how do I do that?? This is the only room in the house hooked up , is there still a "switch" somewhere I can bypass?? I really am clueless with this stuff
Follow the satellite cables back to your dish. If you only have this DVR, you might not have a multiswitch between your dish and the DVR, so the DVR would be connected directly to the dish's LNB outputs. You should also check those cable connections at the dish to be sure they're snug, dry and corrossion-free.

If none of these tips help out, then it's time to call DirecTV and schedule a service appointment. If you have DirecTV's Equipment Protection Plan it won't cost you anything.

· AllStar
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After trying another box (REFURB) and having the same problem another tech came out. It seems there was a bad ground on the ground block, now all is well and I hope not to have any of the other problems that seem to plaque this box!!

Thanks
Frank

· Godfather
340 Posts
franco said:
After trying another box (REFURB) and having the same problem another tech came out. It seems there was a bad ground on the ground block, now all is well and I hope not to have any of the other problems that seem to plaque this box!!

Thanks
Frank
Bad ground! I hate that. I have been burned so many times by a bad ground.:nono2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.