since it is on Spotbeam and I am only a four hour
drive from there.
Other than barker channels and music, that was the
only unsubscribed channel I could get.
Can anyone explain this?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,434 Posts
Could be some testing of spotbeams? Instead of having to have Dish employee subscribed to that local, if those in spotbeam area pick up channel then they know spotbeam is working in the area. Imagine process of sub/desub for testing could cause alot of problem, so just open channel up for testing.

But this is just conjecture, sounds plausable???? :shrug:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Same thing happened to me with TVJapan one day. I noticed it was not red in the guide and tuned it in. I left the channel and went right back and it was red and told me I was not subscribed.

On the other hand, I've seen channels that were not red and they would not let me tune into them either, telling me it was a subscription channel and I needed to subscribe.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
TV Japan is available to anyone with a Dish Receiver (Subscribed or not) from 6-6:30 and 7-8 am weekdays and mano other times during the day. Look on the EPG for "Free TVJ". Many programs have an alternate audio track in English (Japanese alterenate audio channel) and some are in English.

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame
7,802 Posts
It probably was Birmingham as the Nets are still on 110 as well as the spots. The ones on 110 are in the clear. Your receiver was probably using old maps for a while until it updated them, therefore not allowing it to know those channels are even there.

·
Icon/Supporter
592 Posts
Originally posted by TNGTony
TV Japan is available to anyone with a Dish Receiver (Subscribed or not) from 6-6:30 and 7-8 am weekdays and mano other times during the day. Look on the EPG for "Free TVJ". Many programs have an alternate audio track in English (Japanese alterenate audio channel) and some are in English.

See ya
Tony
TV Japan's free segments are broadcast in the clear,
so your receiver doesn't even need to be DISH brand.

You just have to be looking at 61.5 or 148, with a DBS LNBF.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.