DBSTalk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
The biggest issue (for me) watching on a streaming service is it's generally about 30 seconds to a minute behind. So, if you get alerts on your device, you will be spoiled. I don't bet on games, but I would imagine that could be an issue for those who do prop bets? Not sure. As I said, the major issue for me is recording games. I have other ways to watch live if I need to if Fox goes away.

I wish they went back to "Must Carry" rules, but I get the networks need ways to make money so they opt out.
The delays in the streaming really can't be fixed completely. There's a limit to how fast that data can move, but I agree on the notifications. I can hear my phone going off but I don't check it while play is going on. But, this holds, to a lesser extent even on satellite. I've seen tweets of a goal scored 10-15 seconds before I see it.

· Registered
51 Posts

TV Answer Man, what is happening with the Fox and DIRECTV thing? I thought it was supposed to have a deadline of midnight last night but I woke up 20 minutes ago and it looks like nothing has changed. What’s going on?? — Ron, Arlington, Virginia.

Ron, Fox last Sunday began posting viewer alerts that DIRECTV, DIRECTV Stream and U-verse could lose the Fox-owned local affiliates in 18 markets as well as FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, Fox Deportes, and Fox Soccer Plus. The network is negotiating a new carriage pact with DIRECTV and it says in the viewer alert that the deadline for a new deal was Friday, December 2 at midnight.

Some publications and viewers have interpreted that to mean that the deadline was the midnight following Thursday, December 1. However, it’s actually the midnight that follows today, which is slightly more than 18 hours from when I write this. (I noted on Twitter last night that the real deadline is tonight, not last night.)

As of this morning, there is no indication that the two sides are closer to a deal, or not closer to a deal. Both DIRECTV and Fox have been tight-lipped since the initial volley of accusatory statements from last Sunday.

· Legend
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
so in other words, poor wording and they made us think that the take down was happening last night/today when they meant tomorrow (or should I just say tonight/tomorrow morning at 2 AM CT).

oh well, at least I don't have to worry about missing WWE SmackDown tonight as it's on FS1, but next week if the dispute is at a full week of blackout, i will have to use my TV Antenna for SmackDown.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2 Posts
well, DirecTV seems to be entering a dispute with Fox as the current agreement ends at 12 AM PT on December 2. this means a blackout will happen when a new deal isn't reached by Fox and DirecTV which means no World Cup (unless you are fluent in Spanish and have to watch Telemundo's coverage of it), no NFL on Fox, No Pac-12 Championship game, no WWE Friday Night SmackDown, no Fox (in markets in which Fox owns the station), no FS1 or FS2, no Fox Business and No Fox News or any other network owned by "New Fox".

Fox Corp. Warns Viewers Of Its Networks About Potential DirecTV Blackout; Pay-TV Operator Decries “Scare Tactics”

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
thanks for the tip, we will look for Telemundo.
Sheesh,
Smith Carson City NV

· Legend
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
the deadline is for Midnight PT/1 AM MT/2 AM CT/3 AM ET.

and i check, all channels in the dispute both SD & HD feeds are still live.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

· Icon
3,690 Posts
4am CT? But it's 4am ET

But yea on the app FS1 still works

· Godfather
505 Posts
DFW Market : Local Fox affiliate KDFW Ch 4 is still on as of this post. FS1 also on. Perhaps they agreed to keep the affected Fox outlets lit while negotiations are ongoing or agreed to a temporary deal to keep them lit.

There's a new post on the 'net but otherwise, all seems quiet as that's most likely a 'blackout' info mode while negotiations may be coming to a successful conclusion (we hope).

· Registered
51 Posts
FS1 and 2 still on my tv's.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
so in other words, poor wording and they made us think that the take down was happening last night/today when they meant tomorrow (or should I just say tonight/tomorrow morning at 2 AM CT).
For their part, Fox specifically said "beginning at midnight, December 2nd" which is 12am Friday ("midnight" is the start of the day rather than the end of the day as the name might imply). The contract expired on Thursday but the extension that Swanni mentioned kicked in upon expiration (Friday at midnight) so the channels weren't removed. Had the extension not been granted, the channels should have disappeared Friday at 12:00am (typically Eastern Time for US businesses unless otherwise specified).

It seems odd for a contract to expire on the first of the month rather than the end of the previous month but contracts are contracts and they can cover any period (and time of day) they set forth in the contract verbiage.

· Hall Of Fame
3,736 Posts
DirecTV is still good. The service has been declining steadily ever since ATT and TPG-Greed took over. To suck $$ out of the service more and more programming is streamed to prevent the user from using the DVR. Forcing us to watch commercials. The result has been watching less TV. I refuse to stream. I paid a small fortune for a great TV and sound system. Why do I want to pump poor quality video and a compressed sound stream through it? I don't watch on phone or computer. The 'system' is still where I do sports and movies. I miss the "news". I read a few blogs, search out articles based on current events and look for market information on the computer. I wish they would bring news back to DTV.
O'Reilly was the last one. Before that the Sheppard Smith guy had a current events show at the 7PM slot.
Anyway this round of greed is inconvenient. The next to go is the NFL. If the games are all streamed, I will miss those too. That is part of the problem with these negotiations. FOX is up with the NFL too. Buddy Bezos wants to stream NFL on Amazon Prime killing the NFL Season on DTV. Did you notice if you are a long term DTV customer all the games are free this year? The inconvenience to switch to antenna for FOX if DTV cannot negotiate will happen for the FiFaCup. After that I will not have time to look for what might be on antenna I might watch and with no DVR on antenna will not watch anyway. Streaming has killed movies as much as the woke has killed movies.
I think the service is ok but I’m surprised after all these years, closed captioning on my HR44-500 misses almost every other line of conversation. It’s been like that ever since I got the box, and they haven’t really innovated hardware wise. I like the app now works in my kids rooms roku’s. It be nice if over our home network it could view DVR recordings from our internet connected HR44, but I guess beggars can’t be choosers. A voice remote and X1 like experience would have been nice.
I also have the OTA USB thing and can get Fox 29 in the Philly market on 29.1. Last time there was a big dispute it was CBS, so OTA was the workaround.
Comcast just built a cable system in my neighborhood and although their features of the X1 platform look nice, they have overcompressed HD-Lite feeds, terrible stingy internet upload speeds (like 10mbps compared to my current providers 30mbps), and insane broadcast fees. The broadcast fees alone add about $30 to the advertised price, it’s insane.
Hope these disputes are quick and go away.

· Registered
23 Posts
I would say you don’t know what you are talking about. DirecTV has had someone at congressional hearings multiple times. Especially about blackouts and DNS feeds. There were a lot of people there saying blackouts are not an issue even though we have a new record number of them darn near every year it seems.
One company there stated that it was okay to not pay music artists for their content they play on the radio but when it comes to TV it felt different.

same company felt that DirecTV should pay what ever it took to add locals in the last 12 markets that have issues like being triopolies among other things. The stations felt they had no obligation to provide signal to their own market but that DirecTV should build whatever was needed for those locals to get signal to DirecTV to send to customers. Didn’t offer the channels to DirecTV at a discount if they did that or anything else. Greed makes me sick and these channels just always hold out their hand when a contract renewal is up. The renewal rates should be more in line with what most Americans see as a raise increase each year which is 2-5%. Not 100-300% I have seen some ask for.
I don't think it is the "stations". It is the middle man companies like Nexstar and Uverse that negotiate like it is a union labor dispute. They are the greedy ones. The stations hire them like a contractor to distribute their signal. The middle man holds the station and the distributee for ransom.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
The middle man holds the station and the distributee for ransom.
There is no "man in the middle" in a station group. Nexstar, Sinclair, Tegna and Fox stations are owned by the respective station group. The gray area is the station groups that contract to be "operated by" one of the larger station groups and the jury remains to be convened on whether those smaller groups are just fronts for the larger groups used to skirt FCC ownership restrictions.

· Registered
23 Posts
I think the service is ok but I’m surprised after all these years, closed captioning on my HR44-500 misses almost every other line of conversation. It’s been like that ever since I got the box, and they haven’t really innovated hardware wise. I like the app now works in my kids rooms roku’s. It be nice if over our home network it could view DVR recordings from our internet connected HR44, but I guess beggars can’t be choosers. A voice remote and X1 like experience would have been nice.
I also have the OTA USB thing and can get Fox 29 in the Philly market on 29.1. Last time there was a big dispute it was CBS, so OTA was the workaround.
Comcast just built a cable system in my neighborhood and although their features of the X1 platform look nice, they have overcompressed HD-Lite feeds, terrible stingy internet upload speeds (like 10mbps compared to my current providers 30mbps), and insane broadcast fees. The broadcast fees alone add about $30 to the advertised price, it’s insane.
Hope these disputes are quick and go away.
I hope the disputes go away for sure. For now the DTV service is less compression than others on the movie channels. On channels with commercials if you DVR a movie the sound is the same quality, but the picture is missing many frames. Guardians of the Galaxy it was very noticeable.
As DTV tries to make everything about streaming, the internet quality stream is poor at best and the inability to DVR is denial of service as far as I am concerned. When you watch on DTV or via DRV the picture is 1080P and full Screen. Streaming letterbox and missing DVR features are not service I need or contracted for. My bill did not decrease. I am also an HBO subscriber. HBO MAX is supposed to be included. I went to watch "Leftovers" and after the first episode it is behind the HBO MAX paywall. No way I am going to pay to stream anything that I already am paying for. It seems ever closer that DTV is going to limit their quality and features we have enjoyed for 20 years in my case. Like I said in my previous rant. I will miss TV as they remove it from our access. The streaming has already ruined movies. Even more so ruinous than politically correctness that killed any story line that may have been intriguing. I never imagined there would be an end to entertainment. But,I never imagined there would not be news available on TV either. That has been gone for years now.

· Registered
23 Posts
There is no "man in the middle" in a station group. Nexstar, Sinclair, Tegna and Fox stations are owned by the respective station group. The gray area is the station groups that contract to be "operated by" one of the larger station groups and the jury remains to be convened on whether those smaller groups are just fronts for the larger groups used to skirt FCC ownership restrictions.
There is someone in the middle. On the ground there are two in the middle. I remember in Philly after they built the new Lincoln field there was a while we could not watch on DTV as the signal 'from' the stadium was on fiber owned by verizon. Later it changed to cable owned by comcast. Then they finally found a way to charge a reasonable fee about the same time the "sunday ticket" was born. Sorry I do not have my terminology stated correctly. I am a user of the signal that as you say someone owns bits and pieces all along the way. I like to watch TV.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts