DBSTalk Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

· Premium Member
4,102 Posts
I am also an HBO subscriber. HBO MAX is supposed to be included. I went to watch "Leftovers" and after the first episode it is behind the HBO MAX paywall.
You are not doing something right if that is happening. When you subscribe to HBO via DirecTV you get all content on HBO Max.
the internet quality stream is poor at best
Must be your service as most streaming content has a better picture than satellite or cable.

· Registered
24 Posts
You are not doing something right if that is happening. When you subscribe to HBO via DirecTV you get all content on HBO Max.

Must be your service as most streaming content has a better picture than satellite or cable.

I am doing it right. I have been DTV Premier for 20 years. I think you are referring to streaming. After a buffer is built there may be a good picture. But some streams remain unavailable as full screen even though are available at 1080p on DTV or recorded to DVR as available in the 'Other Showings' drop down.

Do you have HBO via DTV? Go to 1501 or left click. Go to Series and find Leftovers. The first episode is there. After that you have to go to HBO Max. You cannot watch it on DTV anymore. I am paying for HBO Max but have not found what channel it is on. I suspect HBO Max is streaming in some way. How do I stream HBO Max to my DVR so I can watch when and how I want to. If I am binging a series like that, I am fast forwarding the credits at beginning and end. Cannot do that with a stream.
Leftovers is no longer available with HBO on DTV.
Besides all that switching to a device to stream outside DTV is annoying. Change the TV HDMI feed and the receiver to match sound.... Very difficult to multitask [change channels] if you want to.

Do you work for DTV? It sounds like you are making the case to limit DTV service and dangle streaming as some great feature that is cheaper for them to allow. Streaming is not a replacement for satellite or cable. It is the elimination of satellite or cable. In the process it is eliminating new movies. Much like apple eliminated new music. There is no money in production, so it ceased.

My streaming service is what DTV forces to be streamed. Many times the picture is letter box instead of what is available via satellite. Fast forward is denied even if they allow it to be saved on DVR.
Streaming on Amazon Prime is not all that great. Streaming NFL football on Thursday night is full screen but only the game is 720 broadcast on a 1080 feed. Only the cameras for the talking heads are 1080 or better. The fast forward is blind. Very difficult to start late and skip commercials and half time. I do not get to watch football when streamed.
Streaming is in no way satellite or cable.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,539 Posts
There is someone in the middle. On the ground there are two in the middle. I remember in Philly after they built the new Lincoln field there was a while we could not watch on DTV as the signal 'from' the stadium was on fiber owned by verizon. Later it changed to cable owned by comcast.
You're talking about the content owners. That's a different discussion entirely as they do their separate deals with the networks (or not) and aren't in between the networks and the distributors.

The Philly thing was (and may still be) based on the desire of the content owner to have an exclusive (much as DIRECTV had an NFLST exclusive except that DIRECTV didn't "own" the content).

content owner -> network -> distributor - > viewer (except where content owner = network -- Fox or distributor -- Comcast)

· Icon
1,291 Posts
I’m surprised after all these years, closed captioning on my HR44-500 misses almost every other line of conversation. It’s been like that ever since I got the box, and they haven’t really innovated hardware wise.
I had this occasionally with my HR44, maybe not since it was replaced with an HR45, not sure. Doing a CLEARMYBOX search would clear it up.

· Icon
3,704 Posts
Cox is my ISP. Very reliable and priced right. Well competitive at least.
They are definitely NOT reliable neither for residential or for business service. Outages ALL the time .

· Icon
3,704 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,914 Posts
I'm in the DFW market & I haven't as yet seen any Crawlers on the channel indicating the carriage dispute. I may have missed it but I've been tuning into KDFW Channel 4 for the last 2-3 days off & on.

The reason may be that KDFW appears to be owned (according to the small print at the end of their local news at the bottom of the screen) by "NW Communications of North Texas" (or something close to that).

I have seen the ads & Crawler at the bottom of FS1.
Until this was resolved today, Directv had an extra channel 4-9 in the Dallas market. Warning of the chance that Fox would be shut off.

· Icon
3,704 Posts
Until this was resolved today, Directv had an extra channel 4-9 in the Dallas market. Warning of the chance that Fox would be shut off.
Yea I saw a lot of those -1 channels
One after 219/fs1

Fox soccer , fox deportes etc

· Legend
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
I'm glad this dispute was resolved without a blackout and i can be able to watch the shows on KDFW Fox 4 i normally watch (Simpsons, Family Guy, The Great North, Bob's Burgers and WWE SmackDown) without worrying about it now for the next few years.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

· Registered
13 Posts
I refuse to stream. I paid a small fortune for a great TV and sound system. Why do I want to pump poor quality video and a compressed sound stream through it?
I was that way. I have a home theater, and can view and listen to every format of audio and video. Netflix used to have 3D movies, which I am addicted to (Not really, just like 3D movies.....can't wait for Avatar II to be released!) Netflix, and Amazon are pretty poor sound wise, 5.2 Dolby D, and that's about it. Someone said try Vudu, their movies, if available with all the sound and vid options are great, as long as you have high speed. I do. I noticed on Vudu, Top Gun Maverick was offered in UXD video and ATMOS sound, so I said, what the hey, and bought it. It was perfect! Only thing missing were the EXTRAS found on the disk but that's ok, the 4k UHD DVD is coming.
VUDU has made a streaming denier, opportunist out of me.
Going to be interested in Avatar II, I wonder if they will offer it in full 3D and ATMOS sound...Bet they will.

Seriously, if you have the equipment, give them a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

tOK

· Godfather
505 Posts
I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

It's fantastic news, the deal's done (y)

· Cool Member
58 Posts
I think the service is ok but I’m surprised after all these years, closed captioning on my HR44-500 misses almost every other line of conversation.
About once or twice a month, the captions will do this, where they skip every other line. Once it happens (and I've never figured out what triggers it), the only fix is a hard reboot of the box. Once I do that, the captions are spot on again. Until the next time it happens.

Since it's infrequent, I just live with it. I really should upgrade, I'm using a 10 year old HR44.😵

26,539 Posts
I really should upgrade, I'm using a 10 year old HR44.
If you're going to stick with DIRECTV for a while, you should probably make your move sooner than later. One surefire method to get a more recent Genie design (seven years for the HR54 and five years for the HS17) is to tell DIRECTV you want a 4K upgrade.

26,539 Posts
They are definitely NOT reliable neither for residential or for business service. Outages ALL the time .
tjpsnj clearly has a much happier experience with Cox than you do. It all comes down to location, location, location. What happens with one locale is not a predictor of what will happen at another.

I'd be willing to wager that others in your area are getting much better service than you are. If it were as bad as you bitterly and incessantly claim to have it, they would have been ousted as the franchise long ago.

· Premium Member
11,519 Posts
I was that way. I have a home theater, and can view and listen to every format of audio and video. Netflix used to have 3D movies, which I am addicted to (Not really, just like 3D movies.....can't wait for Avatar II to be released!) Netflix, and Amazon are pretty poor sound wise, 5.2 Dolby D, and that's about it. Someone said try Vudu, their movies, if available with all the sound and vid options are great, as long as you have high speed. I do. I noticed on Vudu, Top Gun Maverick was offered in UXD video and ATMOS sound, so I said, what the hey, and bought it. It was perfect! Only thing missing were the EXTRAS found on the disk but that's ok, the 4k UHD DVD is coming.
VUDU has made a streaming denier, opportunist out of me.
Going to be interested in Avatar II, I wonder if they will offer it in full 3D and ATMOS sound...Bet they will.

Seriously, if you have the equipment, give them a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

tOK
The codes that come with the 4K UHD Top Gun Maverick Disc have the extras included when you apply them to your Vudu account.

· Registered
11,428 Posts
It may be great news. What did DTV give up getting the deal done?
The same thing providers always have to give up: money!

There will be another price increase next month, everyone will whine about it and complain Directv is being greedy, but most of the increases over the past decade have gone to local stations.

Comcast recently announced they were hiking their local surcharge from $18 and something to over $26 effective this month. That's even higher than the surcharge I pay with Mediacom, though I'm sure I'll be catching up soon.

I've said for years Directv ought to break out the local station charges like Mediacom and Comcast do. That would temper the rise in rates by making it clear where most of it is coming from. And allow them to falsely advertise lower prices like cable companies that break it that charge already do.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts