DBSTalk Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
3,254 Posts
My streaming service is what DTV forces to be streamed. Many times the picture is letter box instead of what is available via satellite. Fast forward is denied even if they allow it to be saved on DVR.
Streaming on Amazon Prime is not all that great. Streaming NFL football on Thursday night is full screen but only the game is 720 broadcast on a 1080 feed. Only the cameras for the talking heads are 1080 or better. The fast forward is blind. Very difficult to start late and skip commercials and half time. I do not get to watch football when streamed.
Streaming is in no way satellite or cable.
I have had no problems streaming college football games on YouTube TV. Pause, rewind, and fast forward work well.

· Registered
2 Posts
My experience is that the streaming TV picture is better than Dish or DirecTV or Comcast Cable and is the same or better than I receive OTA. I have Comcast I000 MIPS internet service and a top-of-the-line router that gives high speed WIFI to all of our streaming devices (Hisense Google TV, TCL Roku TV, Roku Ultra, Amazon Fire Cube, Laptops, Cellphones and Tablets. The picture from YouTube TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBOMAX, Paramount+ and others are absolutely perfect with no buffering at 1080P or 4K with Dolby Vision on many Netflix videos. If you don't have a good internet service or router that provides fast WIFI to your streaming devices then DTV satellite service would likely provide a better picture.

· Registered
86 Posts
About once or twice a month, the captions will do this, where they skip every other line. Once it happens (and I've never figured out what triggers it), the only fix is a hard reboot of the box. Once I do that, the captions are spot on again. Until the next time it happens.

Since it's infrequent, I just live with it. I really should upgrade, I'm using a 10 year old HR44.😵
HR54 does the same thing, once in a blue moon.

· Cool Member
58 Posts
If you're going to stick with DIRECTV for a while, you should probably make your move sooner than later. One surefire method to get a more recent Genie design (seven years for the HR54 and five years for the HS17) is to tell DIRECTV you want a 4K upgrade.
Thank you @harsh. Is there any cost/service upgrade charge for 4K, or is it just a trick to get them to provide a new box?

Thanks.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
I was that way. I have a home theater, and can view and listen to every format of audio and video. Netflix used to have 3D movies, which I am addicted to (Not really, just like 3D movies.....can't wait for Avatar II to be released!) Netflix, and Amazon are pretty poor sound wise, 5.2 Dolby D, and that's about it. Someone said try Vudu, their movies, if available with all the sound and vid options are great, as long as you have high speed. I do. I noticed on Vudu, Top Gun Maverick was offered in UXD video and ATMOS sound, so I said, what the hey, and bought it. It was perfect! Only thing missing were the EXTRAS found on the disk but that's ok, the 4k UHD DVD is coming.
VUDU has made a streaming denier, opportunist out of me.
Going to be interested in Avatar II, I wonder if they will offer it in full 3D and ATMOS sound...Bet they will.

Seriously, if you have the equipment, give them a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

tOK
Both Netflix and Amazon Prime have at least SOME ATMOS content. Netflix has quite a bit actually, including most of their internal content. is it great ATMOS? Not everything is, but it's there. AP has a few ATMOS shows (The Tom Clancy show, who's name escapes me is in pretty decent ATMOS) and I just watched a movie about the Opportunity Mars rover in ATMOS. Vudu has offtered ATMOS for years and it's my online repository for all of the BD discs I own. Full Disclosure I have the top tier of Netflix which offers both 4K (DV and HDR) and Atmos content. I can't say if any of the lower tiers offer ATMOS.

· Hall Of Fame
1,336 Posts
I hope the disputes go away for sure. For now the DTV service is less compression than others on the movie channels. On channels with commercials if you DVR a movie the sound is the same quality, but the picture is missing many frames. Guardians of the Galaxy it was very noticeable.
As DTV tries to make everything about streaming, the internet quality stream is poor at best and the inability to DVR is denial of service as far as I am concerned. When you watch on DTV or via DRV the picture is 1080P and full Screen. Streaming letterbox and missing DVR features are not service I need or contracted for. My bill did not decrease. I am also an HBO subscriber. HBO MAX is supposed to be included. I went to watch "Leftovers" and after the first episode it is behind the HBO MAX paywall. No way I am going to pay to stream anything that I already am paying for. It seems ever closer that DTV is going to limit their quality and features we have enjoyed for 20 years in my case. Like I said in my previous rant. I will miss TV as they remove it from our access. The streaming has already ruined movies. Even more so ruinous than politically correctness that killed any story line that may have been intriguing. I never imagined there would be an end to entertainment. But,I never imagined there would not be news available on TV either. That has been gone for years now.
Ditto...and screw 'em all. Suggestions on the latter are always welcome.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,465 Posts
Thank you @harsh. Is there any cost/service upgrade charge for 4K, or is it just a trick to get them to provide a new box?
Cost is between you and whomever holds your account (DIRECTV or AT&T). 4K is otherwise a ruse but it absolutely requires (as a matter of policy, not technically) an HR54 or later.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
There is no extra charge for the 4K service. If you have the protection plan and haven't upgraded for 2 years you should be able to get the receivers free. There will however be a new 2 year agreement if you do the upgrade.

· Cool Member
58 Posts
There is no extra charge for the 4K service. If you have the protection plan and haven't upgraded for 2 years you should be able to get the receivers free. There will however be a new 2 year agreement if you do the upgrade.
Thanks. I do have the protection plan, and haven't upgraded, or even called them, in ten years or so. So I should be good to go.

I live in a deep rural area, so satellite is my only option. I don't have a problem signing another two years.

Thanks for your help!

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Thanks. I do have the protection plan, and haven't upgraded, or even called them, in ten years or so. So I should be good to go.

I live in a deep rural area, so satellite is my only option. I don't have a problem signing another two years.

Thanks for your help!
If they try to charge you for equipment make sure and remind them of their own policy.

Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Number

· Legend
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
ok, as the OP of this thread, i think it's about time for it to be locked cause the dispute is over and resolved and the channels involved didn't go dark.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

2 Posts
Cost is between you and whomever holds your account (DIRECTV or AT&T). 4K is otherwise a ruse but it absolutely requires (as a matter of policy, not technically) an HR54 or later.
I have the HR54 and recently added a LG OLED to my Den where the HR54 is located my main has the mini for Its 4K in another room but the HR 54 does NOT support 4K on its HDMI output as far a know unless there is something i'm missing. It might be time to go to You Tube TV and get rid of DIrectv.

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
I have the HR54 and recently added a LG OLED to my Den where the HR54 is located my main has the mini for Its 4K in another room but the HR 54 does NOT support 4K on its HDMI output as far a know unless there is something i'm missing. It might be time to go to You Tube TV and get rid of DIrectv.
You'll need a C61K client for 4K along with that HR54 or an HS17. I have two and they work flawlessly with an HS17.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,465 Posts
I have the HR54 and recently added a LG OLED to my Den where the HR54 is located my main has the mini for Its 4K in another room but the HR 54 does NOT support 4K on its HDMI output as far a know unless there is something i'm missing.
My statement was in reference to a way to insure that someone with a HR44 (or HR34) might convince DIRECTV (or AT&T) to give them an HR54 (at the time, it wasn't shared that the Protection Plan was in play). Asking for 4K does that since the HR44 is no longer 4K enabled.

That a C61K is required to get 4K out of DIRECTV DBS setup is just the way things are. You can remove the C61K if you don't want or need it.

· Legend
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
i think this topic has changed from the dispute to something else and mods, can you guys please lock this thread since the dispute is over and resolved and no longer the topic of the thread.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

101 - 117 of 117 Posts