DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From LX:

Here's Why You're Seeing More International Content in Your Netflix Feed
Netflix's foreign-language content could lead to even more diverse stories reaching even bigger audiences.
A few years ago, I was endlessly scrolling through Netflix for something to binge when I found this dystopian, "Hunger Games"-style series with a simple yet intriguing two-character name: "3%."

It's a 2016 Netflix original set in a futuristic world where destitute individuals are selected to compete for a chance to be "saved from squalor," per the show's description, and join the lucky 3% who get to live in the lap of luxury on an island paradise.

I was hooked from the first episode, but several hours in, I felt like something was off.

"Why isn't the audio in perfect sync? Wait, is this not in English?"
FULL ARTICLE HERE

·
Legend
151 Posts
From LX:

Here's Why You're Seeing More International Content in Your Netflix Feed
Netflix's foreign-language content could lead to even more diverse stories reaching even bigger audiences.

FULL ARTICLE HERE
I've watched about 20 of the foreign shows. There was only one that had dubbed dialog and captions that matched. Most of them are so different it gets annoying. "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse" becomes "We have to go get groceries."

·
Super Moderator
53,492 Posts
Even on English captioned English language TV captioning can be bad. Skipped lines and replaced dialog. Often the captioning errors change the plot.

Netflix plays US content around the world - it makes sense that they would bring foreign content to the US.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I think it's good that international non-English fare is gaining acceptance in the North America. Too often, people see a subtitled movie/show and shy away, even though said movie/show got remade into an American version. For example:
  • Seven Samurai (1954) → The Magnificent Seven (1960)|
  • The Hidden Fortress (1958) → Star Wars (1977)
  • Paprika (2006) → Inception (2010)
  • Nikita (1990) → Point of No Return (1993)
  • Ringu (1998) → The Ring (2002)
  • Three Men and a Cradle (1985) → Three Men and a Baby (1987)
  • La totale! (1991) → True Lies (1994)

·
Mentor
482 Posts
Even on English captioned English language TV captioning can be bad. Skipped lines and replaced dialog. Often the captioning errors change the plot.
There was a lot of discussion online about this after "Squid Game" rapidly became popular. According to those that made the comparisons, the changes made by the voice dubbing entirely re-shaped views and background context of some characters, in comparison to what their actual storyline and background was.

Reactions: AngryManMLS
1 - 6 of 6 Posts