DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a 8 hour period (roughly) here are my thoughts.

First my rig:

HR20-700 (obviously)
Panasonic 50" Plasma TV. TH-50PX60U
Connected via HDMI

Also, it should be noted that my comments are based off of someone coming from DirecTiVo (Series2)

• Spinning Blue LED thing, pretty cool looking :)
  • My Playing menu awfully small. TiVo gave you a lot more information. Even in the 'Go There' section, it isn't very informative.
  • Channel changing is god awful slow.
  • Recording shows by names, keywords, etc., LIGHTYEARS faster than TiVo.
  • Had a problem (I think I saw it listed in HR20 bugs) where King of Queens and Jeopardy both went to record (in HD) and they were the wrong resolutions. It was VERY disappointing to see. Also, as reported, when enabling Native mode the channel change process is 3 times worse than it already is.
  • Had a problem where a recording stopped during playback. Couldn't do anything. Changed to a different recording and came back, and the original started over again.

I know I have more comments but I will list them tomorrow.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrshermanoaks said:
Turn off "Native Resolution" in the Display setup and see if that works better for you.
I actually turned ON Native Resolutions to try to correct the problem where Jeopardy and KoQ were recording at the wrong resolution. Those are both on local channels, and when they recorded, I had the black border on eiither side. My TV was set correctly, so I know it was the box. No matter what format I changed to on the HD-DVR it wouldn't work.

I may turn it off again... Anyway, here are my other thoughts:

• Trick plays are kind of annoying since I am a Harmony 880 owner (even annoying without the remote). I know I can program a workaround, but the keypresses themselves (on the OEM remote) seem to be a pain (compared to TiVo).
  • There are no 'ticks' at the end or beginning of a program. So you can't trick play past the last 15 or 30 minutes to the end or beginning.
  • To my knowledge you can only delete a recorded program (that you are currently watching) by going to the end or going to Info->More Info->Delete. Would be nice if there was a shorter way.
  • I DO like the recording conflict management screen where it ASKS you which of the 2 recording you want to cancel.
  • I don't like how DVR functions are kind of scattered all over the place. The scheduler is under 'Help & Settings' My Playlist is handy, then search is all the way on the bottom. I would be nice if DVR functions were bundled together closely.

There are more thoughts, I just can't think of them right now, since I am still groggy.

The other thing I think is worth mentioning is the Pictures and Music section (where it works with your PC).

I had very little problems getting it working with the instructions provided on this website. Everything went as planned. I am not going to call these complaints since DirecTV has made it very clear that this is still in BETA. I can respect that, and just wish I had a way to feedback to them, so they can fix these issues for when it goes mainstream.

Anyways:

• I noticed I could not fast forward through songs. Fast Forward actually brought the next song up.
  • Shuffle doesn't seem to work real well.
  • Pictures only show a few, then exits completely and goes to the satellite.

I am disappointed with the buggyness of the DVR. I would have hoped that DirecTV wouldn't pull a Microsoft and use end-users as Beta testers (not talking about the My Pictures/Music section. I am GLAD they gave us the opportunity to be beta testers with that, talking about CORE DVR software), especially with such an expensive unit.

· RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
I think Jeopardy is only broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio. When you tune to a digital station, the HR20 will assume that it should be a 16:9 program and from then on, the format button will not change the way the program displays, if you have multiple resolutions enabled, it will still cycle thru them.

So in this case, pillar box bars on the side is exactly what you should see from the HR20. Most TV's can then take that signal and either crop the bars back off or zoom the image to get it to go full screen.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brantel said:
I think Jeopardy is only broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio. When you tune to a digital station, the HR20 will assume that it should be a 16:9 program and from then on, the format button will not change the way the program displays, if you have multiple resolutions enabled, it will still cycle thru them.

So in this case, pillar box bars on the side is exactly what you should see from the HR20. Most TV's can then take that signal and either crop the bars back off or zoom the image to get it to go full screen.
Jeopardy broadcasts in HD 16:9. The problem is the way that the HD-DVR is broadcasting the show, because even though I have the black borders on either side, if I press INFO (on DirecTV) the banner takes up the entire screen (overlays the black bars on both sides). If I was to stretch the picture using my TV the picture would stretch, but then the banner would be off the page.

Also, I know Jeopardy broadcasts in 1080 because I have seen it before on my regular HD box. I never had the black bars with that. I know it is most certainly not a TV issue. I can tell that the box is downconverting it to 720 for some reason, even though I have it set it 1080.

266 Posts
Apect ratio and resolution are two different animals.

Jeopardy is broadcast as a 4:3 program pillar boxed to 16:9 in my market. In this case, the HR20 is doing exactly as it should.

· Hall Of Fame
2,332 Posts
Milkman said:
Jeopardy broadcasts in HD 16:9. The problem is the way that the HD-DVR is broadcasting the show, because even though I have the black borders on either side, if I press INFO (on DirecTV) the banner takes up the entire screen (overlays the black bars on both sides). If I was to stretch the picture using my TV the picture would stretch, but then the banner would be off the page.

Also, I know Jeopardy broadcasts in 1080 because I have seen it before on my regular HD box. I never had the black bars with that. I know it is most certainly not a TV issue. I can tell that the box is downconverting it to 720 for some reason, even though I have it set it 1080.
I have never seen the HR20 behave that way. Most of the true HD programming are things like sports or HDUniversal or Discovery HD they are always full screen. Show like today show even though on NBC HD will still show the black bars since its isnt really an HD program just broadcast over an HD network. Is it possible on your other HD receiver that your settings stretched the picture for ya???

· Icon
797 Posts
Milkman said:
  • Trick plays are kind of annoying since I am a Harmony 880 owner (even annoying without the remote). I know I can program a workaround, but the keypresses themselves (on the OEM remote) seem to be a pain (compared to TiVo).
  • There are no 'ticks' at the end or beginning of a program. So you can't trick play past the last 15 or 30 minutes to the end or beginning.
  • To my knowledge you can only delete a recorded program (that you are currently watching) by going to the end or going to Info->More Info->Delete. Would be nice if there was a shorter way.
Hold down Skip back to jump to the end, or hold down 30 sec slip to jump to the end. No need to touch every tick if those places are where you intend to go.

If you pressed play from the PLaylist Screen simply Press Stop and then - - to delete the show.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean. I wish I could take a picture, but I dropped the recording.

Here is how I know for a complete fact it is BROADCAST in Widescreen 16:9.

When looking at the board (with all of the questions and dollar values) in pillar box you see the board. 6 rows that completely fill the screen. In the HD Jeopardy you see past the board on both sides. There is more stuff there that you don't see in the 4:3 version.

The same goes for the players. When they show a wideshot of all the players the pillar box version cuts off at the right side of the right player and the left side of the left player. Widescreen gives you more stuff past those sides.

I know that it is a 16:9 broadcast, and that I was on the HD channel.

BTW - my old HD box was the H-20.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is another question. If I am watching a 720 show (say on NBC), is there any way to tell the HD-DVR to stretch the picture as opposed to telling my TV? As said above, if I tell my TV to do it, it would stretch it fine, but then my banner would be off the screen on both sides.

I thought I tried the format button, but I don't remember it working.

266 Posts
I have both the H-20 and the HR-20 and they work exactly the same in regards to aspect ratio's and either up or down converting the image to different resolutions.

It is possible that your local station is broadcasting the 16:9 Jeopardy as a pillar boxed image creating this error. Our local stations make errors like this all the time.

266 Posts
Milkman,

I had a thougth, do you have 4:3 or 16:9 selected on your display type setup screen? If you have 4:3, that might be your problem.

· Godfather
422 Posts
Milkman said:
When in My Playlist select the show you want to delete and press dash-dash (- -)

-OR-

When in My Playlist press Menu and then go to Mark and Delete if you want to delete several shows at once.

-ALSO-

For some great tips and tricks check out the HR20 Information Resources Sub Forum.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
Milkman,
You have an user error/setting error in your recording of the KoQ and Jeopardy. Either:
1. Your tv is set to 4:3
2. You recorded the SD versions
3. Your HR20 is set to a 4:3 tv.

The banner should always go across the top, fully, even on SD channels.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My TV is set as 16:9.

I looked at my DVR this morning, and the HD problem appears to be with local channels ONLY. I never noticed it with my regular HD receiver, but I didn't watch THAT much HD either (just football games mainly).

This morning I set my TV to 1080i, I set the HR20 to 1080i (I forget which mode), and shut off the Native option. I went to the following channels and saw the following:

WFLA (NBC channel 8)

My local news was on, and there was a black border on the sides BUT, it wasn't the normal 6 inchish border, instead it was around 1.5 inches or so. I am sure that was my news program, because after the news it went to Today, and I saw a full widescreen HD picture.

WTSP (CBS channel 10)

The local news was on. It was displaying in a Pillar Box. After the news Who wants to be a millionaire came on, and it was also in a Pillar Box, however I am almost certain that show is NOT HD. So that is probably normal.

WTVT (FOX channel 13)

Regis and Kelly were on. Same thing as the news broadcast on channel 8. I had the black border on the screen, but it wasn't as thick as the pillar box border.

I forget the callsign (ABC channel 28)

Megan Mullany show was on. Looked like an HD pic, but it was Pillar Box for sure.

----

Do you guys think this was working correctly in your opinion?

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Milkman,

The online manual is definitely good. Click here: HR20.

I think many of these answers are in the Tips & Tricks and TiVo Survival Guide below. 52 of the most important tips are not documented in the manual.

Take care,

Craig

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sigma1914 said:
Milkman,
You have an user error/setting error in your recording of the KoQ and Jeopardy. Either:
1. Your tv is set to 4:3
2. You recorded the SD versions
3. Your HR20 is set to a 4:3 tv.

The banner should always go across the top, fully, even on SD channels.
1, 2, and 3 all checked out, as I knew to look for those as well. I double checked just now and 1 and 3 are set for 16:9 and 2 was HD.

As far as the banner going the length of the screen, it always does. That is why I know it isn't a TV setting. Even if it is pillar box, the banner extends into the black area. That is why I don't want to change my TV setting, because if I do stretch the picture (via a TV setting), the banner will be EXTRA stretched, and I won't be able to see either end. Hope that makes sense.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
Milkman said:
My TV is set as 16:9.

WTSP (CBS channel 10)

The local news was on. It was displaying in a Pillar Box. After the news Who wants to be a millionaire came on, and it was also in a Pillar Box, however I am almost certain that show is NOT HD. So that is probably normal.

WTVT (FOX channel 13)

Regis and Kelly were on. Same thing as the news broadcast on channel 8. I had the black border on the screen, but it wasn't as thick as the pillar box border.

I forget the callsign (ABC channel 28)

Megan Mullany show was on. Looked like an HD pic, but it was Pillar Box for sure.

----

Do you guys think this was working correctly in your opinion?
None of these are HD.

· Hall Of Fame
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I figured as much. Jeopardy was definitely HD, as was KoQ, and so was my Local channel 8 news, as well as Today.

Although my local channel 8 news had a black border, it wasn't the normal pillar box border. The normal pillar box border is 6 inches long on my TV. The border I saw this morning was only 4 inches. I am confused about that.

· Godfather
422 Posts
Not all shows are 16:9, my local news is 4:3 with black bars on the sides that are inserted by the broadcaster to make it 16:9. (This is on my local HD channel) I'm fairly certain that if you have your displays set correctly (16:9) it doesn't matter if you have Crop or Pillar Box selected, the shows that are 4:3 broadcast over HD channels will always have the black bars because they are inserted by the broadcaster. In other words the HR20 correctly sees the signal as 16:9 and thus displays it that way, black bars and all.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.