DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, I like this screen saver that pops on when you pause after a few minutes, just curious if this prevents burn in on a plasma being it leaves the screen black and has a moving object. Not like a video game that's bad for plasma cause it also has still areas...:eek2:

·
Godfather
394 Posts
that is part of the goal. However, not many studies on what time frame plasma's burn in. Some more studies need to be done.

·
Godfather
451 Posts
pappys said:
that is part of the goal. However, not many studies on what time frame plasma's burn in. Some more studies need to be done.
actually that's not quite true. The burn-in issue is becoming less of a issue with Plasma TV's.

Pixel orbitor, for example, is one method of reducing burn in used by plasma manufacturers. It requires no additional programing from the end user as some older burn-in prevention techniques did. If you plan to use a plasma for gaming, some games with permanent HUD's may still cause some burn-in.

Pixel Orbitor focuses on moving the on-screen image ever so slightly. The goal is to avoid detection by the human eye, but still move the image enough to cause color changes in the pixels.

·
Godfather
394 Posts
Interesting, How do I know if I have the pixel orbiter?

·
Godfather
451 Posts
Fairly new for plasma's within the last 6 mos to a year. I don't believe the Dell units utilize this on the HD4200. Anything new should have this or some form of it built in now. Most Plasma units will also have a function to resolve any ghosting or burn-in you may experience with a white screen function. It will usually take care of smaller burn-in/ghosting issues. I'm not 100% sure on the Dell units, but a general rule of thumb is that if you purchased more than 6 months to a year ago you probably don't have it.

More info here: http://www.digitaltelevision.com.au/plasma-television/plasma-tv-burn-in.html

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
My Pioneer from 2003 (503cmx)... has an orbit mode.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Well the "Plasma Posters" that we have all over my work obviously don't have that. After just a few weeks they had horrible burn-in. Of course, they display a static image for a few seconds and switch, but I can't be sure that there wasn't just one image that was on the whole time if there was no other announcement. I believe who ever was in charge of buying those should be fired. I'm sure they cost a ton of money to get like 10 42" plasmas with stands and now they are all ruined. I know that that is not how you would watch tv at home, but once I saw that, I didn't even consider plasmas when looking at HDTV's. If it were just me, maybe, but with a wife and 11 year old that probably wouldn't be as careful as me, I just didn't want to take the chance.

·
AllStar
72 Posts
Tell you what though, I'm a little pi$$ed at DTV's game plan.. I fell asleet watching the USC game a week ago and after the coverage ended DTV puts up a big blue D on a white background. I don't know how long that image was showing, I woke up at 2am. I immediately changed the channel and let it play of abour an hour with a non static image.

Luckily my Panasonic seems to be OK, I saw the D the next day for a bit (when changing channels and the screen went black you could see it) and now I don't notice it. Can DTV cut that out? Someone will have a burn in and it'll be a bigger issue. Just use a black screen or initiate the screensaver function or something...

Anyone else experience this or just me? I thought I had a sleep timer set that night...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.