DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Godfather
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sucked it up over the weekend and ordered a Super Buddy off of Ebay. I made the seller send me pictures of it working before I paypal'd him so it's all good on that end. But since it's ebay, s*** is going to be missing. The guy did have the decency to be upfront and put it put it in the auction listing. Now since I know the car charger and data cable are missing I want to get replacements shipped to arrive the same day the super buddy gets here.

So installers with SuperBuddys: is this the right car charger and is this the right data cable ? Also, will a birdog car charger work on the superbuddy or is a different size?

· Cool Member
23 Posts
I have a Birdog 4.0 USB Plus and an Acutrac III, but I have talked to engineers at Applied Instruments in Indianapolis who make the Super Buddy. It appears you have selected the correct parts, but you should give them a call. They can also answer your other question.

Please tell us how you like your Super Buddy after you have some experience with it. It would also be interesting to know your results with other meters you have used.

· Godfather
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I'm hoping they're right, I went ahead and ordered them. :lol:
In my time working for D* I've used a old-school non-powered Channel Master (hate it, hate it, hate it), an Accutrac22 Pro (still use it on service calls), a Picosat (don't remember the model, didn't like it either way), and a Birdog 2.5 (use everyday).
I'm hoping for the best on this, considering the $$$ involved. Albeit I'm getting it cheaper than a birdog 4 :D

I'm getting it for two reasons as well.

One: haven't been able to get the 99/103 over 80% on the new zinwell LNBs that have 4 jumpers glued on
and
Two: going through the wildblue university training next week.
From what I understand, this is the best meter for both reasons.

· Godfather
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the Superbuddy in yesterday and really got to play with it today. So far I'm impressed.
It's doing all of the stuff a birdog should do. On my old birdog, if you hooked the meter up to a out port on a multiswitch, it would only read what was connected to the 101 ports. I picked up 101, 110, 119, 72.5, and 95 at a line going to a receiver today (after a switch obviously). Peaked a Slimline higher than usual. Haven't quite figured out how to get a signal level off the 99 and 103 yet. I can get a decibel level but thats it so far.
Oh and birdog house and car chargers work fine on the superbuddys. The data cable is completely different though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.