DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once I get my Direct TV installed I will need to get high speed internet, since they wont be out to install until the 28th I really dont want to get my high speed yet, because if i cant get Direct TV i will just get a comcast bundle and dont want to go thru the hassle of switching my account over and everything. Are there any suggestion as to who i should go with for my high speed internet? I really dont want to get comcast high speed because they charge way to much if you dont have it with cable.

Thanks

· Registered
2,913 Posts
CWil03 said:
Once I get my Direct TV installed I will need to get high speed internet, since they wont be out to install until the 28th I really dont want to get my high speed yet, because if i cant get Direct TV i will just get a comcast bundle and dont want to go thru the hassle of switching my account over and everything. Are there any suggestion as to who i should go with for my high speed internet? I really dont want to get comcast high speed because they charge way to much if you dont have it with cable.

Thanks
It all depends on the region you live in. What providers are available for high speed Internet?

Is there any reason you wont be able to get DirecTV? Do you have line of sight issueS?

· Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
I don't know whats available in your area but I went through the same thing. I looked at Verizon dsl and a dry line for just internet service with no home phone service added a lot of cost and they wanted 3 weeks to schedule an install. I ended up going with comcast anyway. They could do an install that weekend and weren't much more expensive. In my area you can get a basic basic cable tv plan for 8 bucks a month and save 10 bucks a month on cable internet by having cable internet and tv with comcast. Would have gone fios if it was available in the area but it wasn't.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,454 Posts
If you aren't running a triple play, the price differential is only $10 and you can often subscribe to lifeline channels for some additional pocket change. It will be close to $60/month + tax in any event.

You need to offer up what your known options are before we can help you pick one.

· Hall Of Fame
1,183 Posts
mishawaka said:
so you want high speed internet, but you don't want to pay high speed internet prices?
I understood he/she wanted high speed internet, without paying Comcast's prices. Most DSL service is cheaper than Comcast... not as fast, but fast enough for most uses. Unfortunately, for the most part, I don't think you can get dry DSL around here, so you have to have a land line for DSL. But AT&T may be an exception... I believe they had to offer dry DSL in this area as a contingency of their Bellsouth buyout.

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mishawaka said:
so you want high speed internet, but you don't want to pay high speed internet prices?
There is a $50 difference, which multiplied out by 12 months is $600.

Direct TV package- $52

Comcast High Speed- 52.95

Same package if i get a comcast bundle- $74.

So thats why i asked if there was a cheaper option, it had nothing to do with not paying high speed price. If you want throw punches than maybe you should go take some business classes and learn how to manage money. Just sayin'

· Icon
507 Posts
CWil03 said:
There is a $50 difference, which multiplied out by 12 months is $600.

Direct TV package- $52

Comcast High Speed- 52.95

Same package if i get a comcast bundle- $74.

So thats why i asked if there was a cheaper option, it had nothing to do with not paying high speed price. If you want throw punches than maybe you should go take some business classes and learn how to manage money. Just sayin'
Just curious, where's the $50 dollar difference coming from?

52 + 52.95 = 104.95

104.95 - 74 = 30.95

So Comcast bundle would save you $30.95, or in your other words, getting D* and high speed would cost 30.95 more...

Still $371.40 over a year is nothing to sneeze at. That's at least a couple tanks of gas...

· Hall Of Fame
6,417 Posts
DarinC said:
Here is the info on the AT&T dry-loop DSL deal, if you want to investigate it.
I just dropped my land line and kept my DSL, it was $5.00 a month more without the phone. They just started offering the service separately or I would have done it long ago. I have Bellsouth, or AT&T this week, opps, maybe its Cingular:)

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
EricJRW said:
Just curious, where's the $50 dollar difference coming from?

52 + 52.95 = 104.95

104.95 - 74 = 30.95

So Comcast bundle would save you $30.95, or in your other words, getting D* and high speed would cost 30.95 more...

Still $371.40 over a year is nothing to sneeze at. That's at least a couple tanks of gas...
Your right i forgot to factor in the cost of high speed with the bundle. But still if i can find an option that can make up that difference i want to, 30 bucks is not that much but like you mentioned with the gas prices i want to save anywhere i can.

· Mentor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DarinC said:
Here is the info on the AT&T dry-loop DSL deal, if you want to investigate it.
I would go that route, but i had a very bad experience with AT&T. I literally had their service for 17 minutes, well technically i signed up for the install and cancelled 17 minutes later after finding out i couldnt have dish where i lived, but they ended up sending me a monthly bill for 6 months, and this was after i called them every month to say i dont have your service and each time i was assurred they did they right procedures to cancel the account, they then sent this to a collection agency because i was not paying the monthly bill for the service i didnt have. Probably staying away from those guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.