DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife started complaining that my son's programs weren't being recorded during the day.

So I went into the History, and it is FULL of items that are in the future! They are all listed as Cancelled or Won't record. There are 718 items in the History.

For instance, every episode of The Upside Down Show is listed as "Cancelled".

I'm looking at one right now. In History. The episode is on 1/12 11:00a - 11:30a on channel 298. It is listed as Cancelled. I click on it, and it says "All episodes are set to record." Prioritizer 18 of 31.

And when I go into the Prioritizer, it says "None scheduled."

Ok, I just went back into the Prioritizer, and now it lists one episode, the one I was just looking at. WTF is up with this god damn buggy POS DVR?! There are tons of episodes of this show on! It is on every DAY!

I don't know what to do with the damn thing. I literally can NOT rely on it!

On top of this, it is sometimes taking up to 30 seconds to respond to key presses, particularly when recording something.

Oh, and having to type in "THE" into the search by title list for shows that start with "THE" is idiotic.

· Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and my manual recording for The Simpsons simply will not record.

It is listed in the "History" as a recording on 1/14 8:00PM - 10:00PM (despite the fact that I set it up to be 30 minutes WTF?), and it says "This showing was partially recorded because of an unexpected error. (14)"

IT'S IN THE FUTURE, WHY ARE YOU USING THE PAST TENSE, YOU STUPID DVR?

Yes, I know net etiquette, and that was meant to be screamed at the top of my lungs.

Does anyone else see these future items listed in the History?

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
Oh, and my manual recording for The Simpsons simply will not record.
It is listed in the "History" as a recording on 1/14 8:00PM - 10:00PM (despite the fact that I set it up to be 30 minutes WTF?), and it says "This showing was partially recorded because of an unexpected error. (14)"
IT'S IN THE FUTURE, WHY ARE YOU USING THE PAST TENSE, YOU STUPID DVR?
Yes, I know net etiquette, and that was meant to be yelled at the top of my lungs.
Not that this is to answer you, but the guide info for the future isn't complete enough for all of your future programs to show right. Or to put it another way, I would go into where you are and look at future series links that weren't show correctly. As time went on more guide info came through and my future programs "sorted themselves out".
Is this screwy, yes, but in some cases, don't jump the gun [yet].

· Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't reset the DVR since 0x10b was downloaded.

The guide data is there. There are Canceled items in my History list for programs that are on tomorrow!

I made a new Upside Down Show recurring recording, and it still will not record.

6 Posts
Ditto here. I had series links set up for Teletubbies and Sesame Street on PBS Sprout. It stopped recording them, even though I couldn't see anything wrong with the series link. I could see the items in my prioritizer, and could see episodes set to record in the To Do list, but when I check the history, every single episode of Teletubbies and Sesame Street for the next 2 weeks is listed as a canceled recording.

Possible 2 issues here? For one, I don't think it makes sense for the History page to show future recordings that have been canceled, especially since there doesn't appear to be any way to remove them from the history.

Second issue would be that when I saw all the canceled recordings, I removed the series link for the shows, and then added them back in - the History retains the listing of recordings as canceled, and will not reset the todo list. I have to manually select each and every episode that was canceled and set it to record. With shows that run 3 or 4 times a day, this is a real PITA.

What I would like to see: D* does not cancel a recording that is set to record when the guide data disappears on it. Do not cancel a scheduled recording until it attempts to actually record the show, and it's not there. At least until D* can get their guide data stable enough that it isn't dropping channels and re-adding them each and every night. If a user cancels a recording for a show, and then reschedules it, the canceled item should be removed from the history.

I would also prefer that future-dated items not appear in the History list. If I cancel a series link, I'm more interested in seeing a message like "Teletubbies series link canceled by user" in the History, than I am in seeing every single scheduled show for the next two weeks listed as canceled.

I've been reading the various Bug threads, and while I think they're a fantastic experiment in user acceptance testing among the community, it leaves me wondering - does D* have an internal QA department, or are their developers having to test their own code? Many of the problems I've seen (such as documentation not matching actual function, etc) would (or should!) have been caught by a QA team prior to release to the public. There are several bugs on btmoore's list that I would have considered show-stoppers and prevented release over.

· Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The shows that have been future canceled on me are all on the local PBS stations or Noggin, or Sprout.

Why are those channels special?

This is a serious bug. You simply can not get these shows to record via series link!

· Hall Of Fame
2,017 Posts
I agree that the "history" is stupid. First, the name history implies the past, but this also shows future items. Second, the things it says make no sense as you've found. They were supposed to give more detailed information in the history with the last update, but like you, I've had things that are set to record in the future say something like, "This program was partially recorded because it became unavailable." I mean WTF? Did it become psychic?

I've pretty much stopped looking at the history for future stuff because it makes no sense. I only monitory the To Do List to make sure stuff is recording and mine has basically recorded everything in the To Do List like it's supposed to.

· Legend
181 Posts
The semantics of this seem correct to me - if on Monday I set up a meeting at work for Friday, then on Tuesday I cancel it (assuming today is Thursday) then historically I have cancelled a meeting set for tomorrow. Makes perfect sense to me, but then I'm English :)

If you go into the Guide for a future program that has been cancelled does it have the orange R on it? If not, what happens if you try and record it manually?

· Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andrew_J_M said:
The semantics of this seem correct to me - if on Monday I set up a meeting at work for Friday, then on Tuesday I cancel it (assuming today is Thursday) then historically I have cancelled a meeting set for tomorrow. Makes perfect sense to me, but then I'm English :)
But I didn't cancel anything! That's the problem! The DVR canceled the recording on its own.

If you go into the Guide for a future program that has been cancelled does it have the orange R on it? If not, what happens if you try and record it manually?
No, no orange R. If I select record on it, it records. There is no conflict.

6 Posts
Andrew_J_M said:

If on Monday, I cancel a meeting set for Friday, and then on Tuesday, I reschedule it for the original time, then historically, the meeting should not still display as Canceled. If I cancel a Series Link, and then re-add it (easy to do with the one-touch recording), my todo list will show recordings that will also display in the history as canceled.

I have checked the guide for Teletubbies series link episodes set to record, and verified that the record icon is there, and then have the DVR fail to record the episode, within the space of a few hours. I ran a search on Teletubbies, and specifically set up one-time recordings for each of the episodes running this week until Saturday, and when I checked the ToDo list this morning, all of the Teletubbies episodes I had set for one-time recording, because they were displayed as canceled series link episodes in the History list, are now displaying the series link record icon next to them.

I'm going to set up a series link for another show on PBS Sprout, and see if I can duplicate the issues I've been having with both Teletubbies and Sesame Street, without having canceled/modified the series link after I've set it.

· Legend
129 Posts
Different shows, but same result. It is maddening, you never know for sure if/when a show will record. It is almost like the old way of TV, you have to be around when the show starts to make sure it records.

Still having to use the HR10 as main unit until this type of thing is resolved, you know, basic functionality.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
But I didn't cancel anything! That's the problem! The DVR canceled the recording on its own.
Any chance that your system restarted?
Power drop for a moment.

As one of the "quirks" of the HR20, is that when it restarts.
It validates the to-do list against the guide data.

Since your guide data is empty, it "cancels" the future recording, since it no longer sees the show as being available... and notes it as such in the history.

As the guide data rebuilds and the scheduler process runs in the background, those programs get rescheduled... but the history doesn't not get updated to "delete" the "canceled" history item.

· Godfather
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It hasn't been recording these shows I have set up as a series link for weeks. It isn't just that these shows are in the History as canceled, it is that the HR20 isn't recording them!

The guide data is there. I can see it! It just refuses to record the shows!

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
ShapeGSX said:
It hasn't been recording these shows I have set up as a series link for weeks. It isn't just that these shows are in the History as canceled, it is that the HR20 isn't recording them!

The guide data is there. I can see it! It just refuses to record the shows!
Hmm... what happens when you set up a SINGLE record.

Or delete the series link and re-add it.

Any chance that the program is already on the hard drive?
As the HR20 will not re-record a program that is already there.

6 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Hmm... what happens when you set up a SINGLE record.

Or delete the series link and re-add it.

Any chance that the program is already on the hard drive?
As the HR20 will not re-record a program that is already there.
If I set up a SINGLE record, it will normally record the show (I haven't found one yet that definitely did not record). If I delete the series link, and readd it, I experience the same problem - the scheduled recordings still won't record. I thought it was possible Sprout was just showing repeats of the same 5 shows I had on the DVR already over the course of a week (unlikely, but hey...) so I deleted all of the episodes I already had on the DVR, made sure the series link was set to record Both new and repeat, and still the recordings are not picked up.

I've been struggling with this issue since we received the 0x10b update. For Sesame Street and Teletubbies, I've had to resort to setting up one-time records for each of the upcoming episodes in a week. I'll try setting up another series link for a show on Sprout, and see if I have the same problem as well.

· AllStar
77 Posts
I had my first completely missed recordings in nearly 2 months last night. I thought something was up when scheduling, and figured one show would not record, based on the To Do List, but the opposite actually occurred.

I had my HR20 scheduled to record the following:

1. Series Link for Friday Night Lights on NBC from 8:00pm to 9:00pm - Highest Priority of the shows schedule for last night.

2. Series Link for The Real World on MTV from 7:00pm to 7:30pm and 7:30pm to 8:00pm - Middle priority of the schows scheduled for last night.

3. Series Link for Beauty and the Geek on The CW from 8:00 pm to 10:00 pm - Lowest priority of the shows schedule for last night.

Based on the times for the MTV recordings not overlapping with the CW recording, I figured I could record all of the above last night. However, in scheduling the Series Link for Beauty and the Geek, I was told that it conflicted with BOTH Friday Night Lights and The Real World. This was not correct as The Real Word ends at 8:00, and no other program was also scheduled at 8:00pm last night besides Friday Night Lights (FNL). I still saved the Series Link anyway. This all happened last week, before the New Years weekend.

In my To Do List, it showed that it was going to record FNL and The Real World, but that it would not record Beauty. In the guide, the symbol for a recording that would not occur was displayed for Beauty.

On Monday night, I did a RBR because I had 2 recordings that would only show a black screen with the 0:-59 time bug. I actually thought that might fix my To Do list for this issue. It did not. After the RBR, my To Do List and Guide still both indicated that Beauty would not be recorded.

Now, for the really odd part... The Real World did not get recorded AT ALL last night, but Beauty and the Geek and FNL DID. The Real World did not overlap with anything, and it had a higher priority than Beauty. And my To Do List and Guide had been lying to me all along. The worst part is that I had set up Beuty to record on my TiVo as a back-up since I sensed that the HR20 would not catch it, but it was The Real World that got ignored.

What a mess. Hopefully this was a one-time fluke.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Any chance that your system restarted?
Power drop for a moment.
As one of the "quirks" of the HR20, is that when it restarts.
It validates the to-do list against the guide data.
Since your guide data is empty, it "cancels" the future recording, since it no longer sees the show as being available... and notes it as such in the history.
As the guide data rebuilds and the scheduler process runs in the background, those programs get rescheduled... but the history doesn't not get updated to "delete" the "canceled" history item.
I'm full of dumb ideas, but could this and some other bugs be from a poorly designed power supply?
Myself & others have seen [had] problems getting the unit to power up after unplugging them. While AC power may not vary, if the internal power does, it could explain some [a lot] of symptoms & how they would vary from one user to an other.
May just be a dumb idea, as many have been, until it proves out.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I'm full of dumb ideas, but could this and some other bugs be from a poorly designed power supply?
Myself & others have seen [had] problems getting the unit to power up after unplugging them. While AC power may not vary, if the internal power does, it could explain some [a lot] of symptoms & how they would vary from one user to an other.
May just be a dumb idea, as many have been, until it proves out.
My reference to the "power" supply and flicker.

Is that this unit is still a computer... and if the power is off... long enough, the unit is going to reboot.

As for it not comming back up... that coudl be something completely different.

7 Posts
I encountered the same problem last night. Set up on Sunday two shows to record yesterday. (Knights of Prosperity and In Case of Emergency on WFAA-DT 8-1 in the DFW area). Checked To-Do list yesterday prior to the show start time (8:00PM CST), shows not there, checked History they were there marked as Canceled. These were brand new shows no chance of being on the DVR.

As a side note; after watching the Knights of Prosperity I had my first and only BSOD and had to perform RBR to get the system back. Don't know if this was because the recording came from the OTA antenna, but it was my first recording from the OTA antenna.

Just some thoughts.

Don

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.