DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched this and found a very confusing thread that didn't answer my question, at least for me!

I have a show in my "to do" list for tonight at 10PM that I expect to be recorded.
But when I look in the history, it shows that show, for later tonight (in the future) as cancelled!

So is this show going to be recorded or not? Does this mean the recording was cancelled, but then rescheduled? Darn confusing!

Carl

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Yes, it should record.

The "future" recording, was canceled when you recently did a reboot (or a guide data changed).

FYI to anyone else reading this...
DirecTV has taken note of all the comments on the topic, and are starting to looking into changing History to be a more effective area to understand what is going on.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
DirecTV has taken note of all the comments on the topic, and are starting to looking into changing History to be a more effective area to understand what is going on.
Sounds good and could be very helpful.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Yes, it should record.

The "future" recording, was canceled when you recently did a reboot (or a guide data changed).

That's good.

First, don't call it history if you are going to have the future in it. That doesn't make sense ;)

Second, when looking back at my history, I saw listings that said partial, but when I looked closer, they weren't actually recorded because of conflicts and they were the lower priority item. So everything worked as it should, but calling it a partial made no sense. I'd like to see detailed (or semi-detailed) explanations of why something didn't record. "Recorded" is fine when it recorded, but when it doesn't, explain why. Was there a conflict? Was it a rerun? Some error? That sort of stuff.

·
Legend
132 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Hooray! Hopefully this means more informative messages than "This showing is over." ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
It is "history" because it is a record of a past event--the cancellation has already happened, as in "Last night it cancelled the recording that was scheduled for today."

It does confuse a lot of people, however.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
paulman182 said:
It is "history" because it is a record of a past event--the cancellation has already happened, as in "Last night it cancelled the recording that was scheduled for today."

It does confuse a lot of people, however.
Perhaps calling it an "Event Log" would be better.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
mtnagel said:
That's good.

First, don't call it history if you are going to have the future in it. That doesn't make sense ;)
Not that I don't disagree with you. But everyone's favorite Tivo also calls it "Recording History" and includes "future" events. I'd use it if I don't see something in the To Do list I believe should be there (say next Friday) and I'd look in Recording History to see why (perhaps a conflict, 28 day rule, etc.).

The *biggest* problem on the HR20 is that you can't get any details on why something was cancelled or won't record in the future. That's what they need to really work on.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
bonscott87 said:
The *biggest* problem on the HR20 is that you can't get any details on why something was cancelled or won't record in the future. That's what they need to really work on.
Yes YES YES!

·
Godfather
418 Posts
bonscott87 said:
Not that I don't disagree with you. But everyone's favorite Tivo also calls it "Recording History" and includes "future" events. I'd use it if I don't see something in the To Do list I believe should be there (say next Friday) and I'd look in Recording History to see why (perhaps a conflict, 28 day rule, etc.).

I agree with that statement as well.

Why not call it "tasks" or "recording tasks".

Those names are not time dependent, it could have already happened or is scheduled to happen.

I like the name "event log" as well. Or just call it "events".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.