DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
AllStar
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received the latest update overnight, so went to the Info page to check out the new build number and the time of download, etc., and noticed the internal temp was listed at 124 degrees. I was surprised since it has been running between 127 and 129 for the past 3 months, including just last night when I checked and it was 129. It was cool here (for L. A.) overnight, but I doubt the temp inside the house dipped below 55. After spending twenty minutes or so exploring the new features, I checked the Info page again and the temp is now showing 120 degrees. The box definitely feels cooler to the touch. Anybody else notice a temp drop in their box?

Mike

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
w84mike said:
The box definitely feels cooler to the touch. Anybody else notice a temp drop in their box?

Mike
I'm too scared to even touch that...:D I do know that there are fixes like that to help cool down the processor and heat of a unit. My AMD has features like this but usually it means that they've disabled stuff until needed. I don't know of you have a Axim or pocket PC or the like but they have multiple processor settings that'll "cool down" your system. My experiences with this is that it seems to slow things down because it takes a second to tell the slowed process to kick back up and/or "wake up" because it's now being used. On the other side, maybe they just have too many things running at once and we really don't need half the stuff until we manually call for it. That could also be causing a lot of peoples problems - an overload of processes...:icon_stup

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
Unfortunately, I cannot check yet, but perhaps the CPU is now running with more efficient code. Less chance for heat to build up.

It could also be that its cooler outside now and heat is more easily dissipated.

·
Icon
550 Posts
Mine had never dipped below 125 until OxFA and now mine is running in the 115-120 range. Not sure why. Very strange.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,102 Posts
brott said:
Unfortunately, I cannot check yet, but perhaps the CPU is now running with more efficient code. Less chance for heat to build up.

It could also be that its cooler outside now and heat is more easily dissipated.
Yeah your dish is a heatsink.... I could not resist. ;)

·
Legend
216 Posts
When you reboot all temperature data is lost. The first 100 degrees or so will be available almost immediately but the degrees after that have to be re-downloaded from the satellite over the next several days.

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
ouijal said:
When you reboot all temperature data is lost. The first 100 degrees or so will be available almost immediately but the degrees after that have to be re-downloaded from the satellite over the next several days.
:lol:

Mine always runs at 122 - 127 (usually at the lower end of that range). Others have reported after updates that the update made their box run cooler but mine has never changed.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
LameLefty said:
:lol:

Mine always runs at 122 - 127 (usually at the lower end of that range). Others have reported after updates that the update made their box run cooler but mine has never changed.
Got some real Stallions in this here forum. Lot's of heated boxes...:cuttle:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.