DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
shortstop11_jeff said:
My HOA is trying to get me to remove my OTA antenna 4228 CM because a neighbor does not like the look of it. Well of course I do know of the FCC law saying I can have one- but it appears my 4228 is 39 1/2" in width, but the FCC says you have to have an antenna smaller than 39 3/7" (1 meter) in diameter- so it appears that I may not be in correspondence by a couple fractions of an inch.

Has anyone out there won against their HOA with this antenna- if you have, what course did you take to win?

I also have a smaller 4 bay - the CM 3021 that I COULD replace it with, but would rather keep the big one for more channel coverage/better reception and to piss off the neighbor who complained.

Your help would be appreciated- thanks:)
You have a couple of things to consider. What is the HOA asking you to do? Take down the antenna entirely? Move it to a different location? HOAs or local governments can restrict placement of an antenna SO LONG AS IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO RECEIVE A SIGNAL. IF the HOA is asking you to move it from the side of the house to the back of the house and you can still receive a signal in the back of the house, that is permissable. If on the other hand, the rear of the house installation would inhibit your line of sight and thereby degrade your signal, it is not permissable.

If I was in your shoes, I'd start by calling the HOA and try to climb the ladder and resolve it amicably. If they don't go for that, fax over the link Texasbrit provided, and highlight the appropriate areas, along with a cover letter explaining your position and the fact that you are within your rights according the the FCC. Nothing nasty, just outline your rights, just in case there's someone there who doesn't know the rules and is making the decisions.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
shortstop11_jeff said:
You guys are awesome and it seems that I have many people who feel the same way I do. I am waiting for them to call me back and try to explain to me what they really want in this situation. With all of your help- I feel armed with enough ammunition to be able to fight this situation head-on. I appreciate any more advice but again- thank you.
The best advice any of us can give you is to keep it cool... You are in the right, but as someone pointed out, generally the HOA has more resources than you do to fight it, so if it gets nasty, it becomes harder for you. Besides, if it has to get nasty, even if you do win, suddenly the HOA is going to be all over every little thing you do. Same with the other home owner.... if you have a blade of grass that's out of place, look out.

Find out what exactly the HOA proposes you do. Maybe there's a spot out behind the shed which would not be too big a deal to put your antenna and which the other homeowner would find less offensive - in which case, bite the bullet, make nice and move the antenna. If they're proposing something drastic, track down a cache of automatic weapons and go in guns blazing....... Oh wait.. I said keep it cool, didn't I. Scratch the automatic weapons.. :)

In all liklihood, the HOA or the other homeowner just don't know what the rules are as to what you can and cannot install. Frankly, I think satellite dishes are ugly and I make every effort to hide them, but not all my neighbors do the same, and I realize that's within their rights, and so nobody gets hurt. However, I didn't know better, I'd be a little irritated by some of the installation choices our neighbors have made and might raise a stink....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.