DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Good advice. If you start a shouting match, they'll likely try to come after you about something else, and it will never end. The only possible local restriction you have in that law is a safety issue regarding masts that are more than 12 feet high. Review your options to comply, but remind them that if you have to move it, you may then require a mast up to 12 feet high to maintain your signal, which will defeat the whole purpose of their fruitless exercise ;)

Sharkie_Fan said:
You have a couple of things to consider. What is the HOA asking you to do? Take down the antenna entirely? Move it to a different location? HOAs or local governments can restrict placement of an antenna SO LONG AS IT DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR ABILITY TO RECEIVE A SIGNAL. IF the HOA is asking you to move it from the side of the house to the back of the house and you can still receive a signal in the back of the house, that is permissable. If on the other hand, the rear of the house installation would inhibit your line of sight and thereby degrade your signal, it is not permissable.

If I was in your shoes, I'd start by calling the HOA and try to climb the ladder and resolve it amicably. If they don't go for that, fax over the link Texasbrit provided, and highlight the appropriate areas, along with a cover letter explaining your position and the fact that you are within your rights according the the FCC. Nothing nasty, just outline your rights, just in case there's someone there who doesn't know the rules and is making the decisions.

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
More good advice. Comply if you can, up to the point where it starts to cost you money to maintain the signal you have now, then you can put your foot down. But try to comply if possible.

Radio Enginerd said:
Have you considered an attic installation?

Many people on this board have had GREAT success and in some cases improved performance. Legislation exists that supports what you are trying to accomplish but at the same time you want to keep the angry ladies on the HOA happy. :)

How far are you from your local affiliate(s) broadcast towers?

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
Is the person complaining the new President of the HOA? I've seen this many times. One person gets a bug up their a** about one issue, and decides to run. And they always win because no one else wants the job! ;)

shortstop11_jeff said:
Sharkie,
The person who is complaining wants me to move it or remove it because he sees it when he pulls out of his street below my townhouse.(we sit on top of a hill overlooking his house that surrounds the lake below) I have my antenna mounted on a pole at the back of my house behind my shed. I have to have it at the back of my house to be able to point to Wash DC which is to my south. I have had this bigger antenna up for 7 months and the older 3021 up for 3 years with no complaints.
I am thinking that the neighbor below either just moved in, or just got lassik surgery and can now see because it has been there for almost 4 years. Thanks for the suggestions Shark- I will try to remain calm and not nasty :)

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
About 7 or so years ago, I (along with about 100 other homeowners) received a letter telling me I had to remove my D* dish as it was against the Covenants.

I called the Association and politely reminded them they had amended the Covenants 2 years earlier to allow satellite dishes.

They were attempting to enforce a restriction that had been lifted 24 months previous.

Morons. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.