DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
AllStar
76 Posts
As the first response indicates with the FCC link, your HOA can not prevent you from installing an antenna or dish (under a certain size - i.e. DTV / Dish) on any property you own. The only time the HOA can prevent you id it is installed on a Common Property (typical of townhomes).

I had an outdoor antenna before I got the HR20 as I could not get several stations that are broadcast from downtown Denver with an indoor (attic install).

I did contact my HOA before doing the install letting them know my intentions and why I needed to do an outdoor install (as I knew they would ask why I can't put it in the attic) - but didn't care what their response was as I knew I was putting it up regardless (I actually installed it before I received their approval).

If you have an alternate location for the install that won't hinder your ability to receive the stations you are getting now and would satisfy your neighbor, you might want to consider it. If not, then you should let you HOA know the need for the antenna to be installed in it's current location and if it is installed on YOUR property there is nothing legally they can do about it.

The only concern, that someone else had mentioned, is that if you start to get on the bad side with your HOA it may attract attention you don't want.

Your best course of action is to contact your HOA (if not already done so), make sure they are aware of the FCC link / regulation and explain to them why your antenna needs to be installed in it's current location and that you want to work with them to resolve the problem.

My antenna was a hack of an install as I have a single story house with a two story next to me (which happens to be in the line of sight to downtown Denver). So I actually mounted posts near the corner of my fence as that was the only location I could get a good enough signal. It was not the most attractive install and the antenna could be seen by my neighbors and behind my house - but I have cool neighbors so nobody cared.

The bottom line is your HOA can not prevent you from installing an antenna on property you own - but you should do your best to work with them to avoid them from hassling you in the future.

And tell your neighbor he should be paying attention to the road and looking for little kids that might run behind his car rather than being so concerned with your antenna. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.