DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Legend
181 Posts
Shortstop - are you in a historical district? In that case the HOA may be able to apply restrictions. Are there other houses around with visible antennas and dishes?

I would go with the advice that you write to the HOA, pointing out the FCC regulations and maintain a calm disposition. The last thing you need is to become a target for the pettyness that often comes in these situations, where they jump on you for not clearing snow according to their regulations, or letting the grass grow half an inch too long or (as happened to a neighbor of mine) planting an unapproved species of tree.

Some say that the "H" in HOA stands for a WW2 axis leader and I don't mean Hirohito.:D

·
Legend
192 Posts
Radio Enginerd said:
Have you considered an attic installation?

Many people on this board have had GREAT success and in some cases improved performance. Legislation exists that supports what you are trying to accomplish but at the same time you want to keep the angry ladies on the HOA happy. :)

How far are you from your local affiliate(s) broadcast towers?
Alot of good advice here, but I will tell you that placing an antenna in your attic is not ideal.

It can work, but will not give you optimium performance.

They are meant to be placed outdoors.

·
Icon
770 Posts
cawgijoe said:
Alot of good advice here, but I will tell you that placing an antenna in your attic is not ideal.

It can work, but will not give you optimium (sic) performance.

They are meant to be placed outdoors.
This is contrary to my experience. I had my CM 4221 on a rotator in my attic for more than two years and then decided to mount it on the chimney. I lost reception of two stations. More details here: My Attic Antenna Installation. I've had many people at AVS Forums argue that "this just isn't possible".

A neighbor slightly higher up our ridge about 1/2 mile away with a CM 4228 mounted outside was getting worse reception than I was with a CM 4221 in my attic.

Bottom line, no one has the definitive word about how any antenna will work IN YOUR LOCATION. Unfortunately, trial and error is the only way to optimize reception in your location, particularly if your location is not flat, there are buldings, or your local broadcast antennas are mounted in more than one location.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
A past president of my HOA was trying to add some restrictions about dishes to our Architectural Guidelines. After she sent out the proposed restrictions, I sent her a copy of the FCC's OTARD rules. She was unfazed and didn't care.

So about 3 days before the meeting to vote on the restrictions, everyone found a copy of the OTARD in their mailbox. Except her. She walked into a hornet's nest at the meeting. She is no longer president or even on the board.:D

·
You make it, We break it
4,722 Posts
About 7 or so years ago, I (along with about 100 other homeowners) received a letter telling me I had to remove my D* dish as it was against the Covenants.

I called the Association and politely reminded them they had amended the Covenants 2 years earlier to allow satellite dishes.

They were attempting to enforce a restriction that had been lifted 24 months previous.

Morons. ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
This is why I would NEVER own where there is a HOA! Seriously, if someone doesn't like what I have done with my property, he can make me an offer, and do whatever he wants with the property he just bought!

(One of the MANY reasons I fled New York for Nevada!)

·
Legend
219 Posts
shortstop11_jeff said:
My HOA is trying to get me to remove my OTA antenna 4228 CM because a neighbor does not like the look of it. Well of course I do know of the FCC law saying I can have one- but it appears my 4228 is 39 1/2" in width, but the FCC says you have to have an antenna smaller than 39 3/7" (1 meter) in diameter- so it appears that I may not be in correspondence by a couple fractions of an inch.

Has anyone out there won against their HOA with this antenna- if you have, what course did you take to win?

I also have a smaller 4 bay - the CM 3021 that I COULD replace it with, but would rather keep the big one for more channel coverage/better reception and to piss off the neighbor who complained.

Your help would be appreciated- thanks:)
My advice is to invite the entire HOA over to watch some true OTA HD programming. Once they see that crystal clear picture for themselves, they'll all run out and get antennas...and then they can start harassing people with no antennas for not keeping the "visual quality" of the neighborhood at it's highest level...

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
islesfan said:
This is why I would NEVER own where there is a HOA!
While I agree with you on many levels, given that I live in WV and that it is almost tradition to keep junk cars in your yard and all your spare appliances on the front porch, I value the restrictive covenants in my neighborhood.:lol:

·
Legend
129 Posts
shortstop11_jeff said:
Oh sweet- then screw them- Now I am tempted to buy an even bigger one and drape Xmas lights on it for good measure- thanks for your help.
That's Funny Stuff Dude!!:D :D :D

·
Icon
2,971 Posts
islesfan said:
This is why I would NEVER own where there is a HOA! Seriously, if someone doesn't like what I have done with my property, he can make me an offer, and do whatever he wants with the property he just bought!

(One of the MANY reasons I fled New York for Nevada!)
amen.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I'd get out the tape measure and trim it right to the 1 meter mark.. just to piss them off :lol: by the way I have a 10+ foot long one on a 15 foot mast on a 40 foot high roof :D

·
Legend
148 Posts
Freaking HOA people. Do gooders. That is all they are. I'm all for protecting property value, and I have NEVER been on the other side of my HOA. But, I watch them and fight them when they try to vote to spend my money.

No offense to any of you, but my judgement is that these do-gooders are the same people who ran for student counsel in HS and college. They think they are important and have power. They get drunk on it within their little world. All it takes is the firm hand of gov't to sober them up.

Heck, if all else fails, do what someone I know did. Put a lien on the HOA president's house for the amount that the HOA cost them. My friend knew he wasn't going to win, but the fight to get the lien off taught the HOA not to f*ck with this guy ever again about something trivial.

·
Hall Of Fame
12,971 Posts
shortstop11_jeff said:
Oh sweet- then screw them- Now I am tempted to buy an even bigger one and drape Xmas lights on it for good measure- thanks for your help.
I don't think the Xmas lights would help your reception.

:)

Remain firm but calm. Remind them that they don't have the jurisdiction. They probably don't even know.

I put a D* dish on my patio of my condo in Columbia, MD (the HQ of control). I got a call from my condo association. I sent them the FCC rules and they asked me to just go thru the formality of doing the paperwork for approval. I told them I'd think about it...and I did for about 15 seconds.

Never heard from them again.

·
AllStar
93 Posts
farjo08 said:
Your best course of action is to contact your HOA (if not already done so), make sure they are aware of the FCC link / regulation and explain to them why your antenna needs to be installed in it's current location and that you want to work with them to resolve the problem.
This is good advice. People often follow the directives of an HOA because they either don't want to makes waves or overestimate the authority the HOA has. Outline the facts and ask for a response, put the ball in the HOA's court.

Several in my neighborhood received letters from the HOA concerning brown lawns which weren't up to "community standards". I didn't get one but it still pissed me off. I fired off an email asking for a list of the criteria they were using to determine which lawns needed these letters. They didn't have any criteria and the letters stopped. However, on of my neighbors got one of these letters and invested thousands in an irrigation system.

Point is, ask a question of an HOA and they often either back down or you never hear another word from them.

·
4 Posts
I initiated a discussion last year with my HOA prior to putting up my OTA antenna because I knew that the covenants were in direct conflict with the OTARD regs. The contact person at the HOA insisted, despite me providing a copy of the OTARD rules with relevant parts highlighted as well as past legal precedents, that they had consulted their lawyers and that they were right.

I put the antenna up anyway without going through the "architectural review board" approval process and waited for them to come after me.

Three months later, after hearing nothing about my antenna, the neighborhood newsletter sent by the HOA had a page explaining that people had the right to put up antennas and asking them to be considerate to neighbors in deciding on their location. They even provided the relevant sections of the OTARD rules! It was a sweet (and easy) victory.

Educate your HOA as much as possible about the federal regulations and remain civil in all your communication - that's the best advice I can give.

·
Godfather
452 Posts
I had an interesting "spat" with a HOA some 25 yrs ago when we first moved to Iowa. You see, I'm a HAM Radio Operator (inactive now) and when we bought our brand-new home in Iowa I asked the "Developer/builder/Realtor" (all in one) if I could erect an antenna. I was told I could and promptly proceeded to erect a 75' Rohn-25 guyed tower, exactly to-spec, including torque-arm stabilizers and equalizer plates. On top went a big heavy-duty rotor and a very-very large TH7 tri-bander (a huge antenna). I no longer recall the exact size, but when laying on the roof it overhung the house on 2 sides!! Once installed, on a clear day you could see it from 5 miles away.

Of course a letter came...... However, they screwed up when the HOA called it a "private radio tower". Coincidentally we had an attoryney working on a moving damage settlement case at the time, so I gave him the letter from the HOA. Upon close scrutiny, they're calling it a "radio tower" was their own undoing. You see, "Radio Towers" (implying broadcast towers of course) were excluded.

I received 1 final letter from the HOA in which they backed down. They said in their letter that my "private radio tower" was clearly not in the spirit of the ordinance, but agreed that my attorney's interpretation was as valid as theirs and therefore my tower could remain.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.