DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as I previously said, just my luck, looks like there will a 5th install date....The installers on the phone told me that I would be the first install of the day, so at 10am I call, and they say, "oh, the installer is running late on another install, so he will be there between now and 1pm"..........are you freakin kidding me!! Then, I just double check everything and make sure that the tech they are sending is trained on installing an SL3....the idiot on the phone says, no your getting a high def dish!, wtf!!! Does anybody know what they are doing! Anywhere.....So i am just waiting now for the tech who comes out to tell me that he doesnt know how to install an SL3 and that they will have to reschedule again......i'm going to go crazy.....do they not think that people have jobs that they cannot always take extra time off!!

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
almost forgot to say that the person on the phone told me that Im not getting the slimline dish but the regular HD dish.....I am just not informed correctly on this....I thought that was the only dish they were using....please correct me if I am wrong if I am, what is the difference between the dishes?

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I purchased the SL3 myself, and explained this to the install company on Tuesday, they also assured me that everything was going to be fine, and that they have 2 installers in the area qualified to install the LNB that I have

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Remember the 'person on the phone' is a call center person, not a tech or anyone with tech experience.
You will get a slimline no matter what since it is the only dish out there and hence the 'regular' dish. Cool it down.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
skylox said:
I purchased the SL3 myself, and explained this to the install company on Tuesday, they also assured me that everything was going to be fine, and that they have 2 installers in the area qualified to install the LNB that I have
So why didn't you just tell the guy to do the install as normal and later replace the LNB. Don't expect to what call centers tell you or be pissed when a tech isn't trained about a product that is barely used.

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, I am writing a little angry...I have just been waiting for this install for over a month and it seems that everytime they come out something else happens...the one thing that really got to me is when she said that I did not request a slimline dish, so i will get a regular dish?? Why would she say that if there is only the slimline dish available?

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
when they were here on Tuesday, I told the tech to just install in and he said he couldnt do that and that it wouldnt activate.

· Hall Of Fame
1,779 Posts
skylox said:
Use can swap the sl3 head yourself if worst comes to worst.
If tech balks just let him install the regular dish line up on 101 only if 119 los is an issue.
then just remove the 2 bolts on the lnb arm gently withdraw lnb , disconnect the 4 coax lines and replace sl3 head.
usually done without any change in signal strength.
Tech may balk at install w/o los to 119 but i bet you can "help" him help you.
A "Jackson" could make all the difference.

Doctor j

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, thanks, maybe I am just freaking out a little too much, I guess I shouldnt really freak out until they are here and give me bad news

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am very close to NYC, Im in Stamford

· Rescued Racers Live Here
982 Posts
skylox said:
Sorry, I am writing a little angry...I have just been waiting for this install for over a month and it seems that everytime they come out something else happens...the one thing that really got to me is when she said that I did not request a slimline dish, so i will get a regular dish?? Why would she say that if there is only the slimline dish available?
I've always found that "writing a little angry" can be VERY therapeutic, and I do it quite often......I just try to make sure that after I get it all out, feel better, and have had time to cool down a bit, I hit "CANCEL" instead of "SEND".

And believe me, I DO feel your pain in this, the stories I could tell you about Ironwood (The HSP, not the user here on DBSTalk who is a great guy) would curl your hair.......;)

· Hall Of Fame
1,489 Posts
elaclair said:
And believe me, I DO feel your pain in this, the stories I could tell you about Ironwood (The HSP, not the user here on DBSTalk who is a great guy) would curl your hair.......;)
I've had two good experiences with Ironwood techs.

The only minor issue, was the last installer told me that my OTA antenna "will no longer work after next February". I assured him that it will continue to work just fine.

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a pic of where the dish will be installed...the roof

Attachments

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow....the installer is finaly here and installing my dish with the new SL3....horray for me...well not too fast, the service isnt up yet....

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,573 Posts
Mertzen said:
So why didn't you just tell the guy to do the install as normal and later replace the LNB.
Consider that if they installer can't complete the setup because of LOS issues, they may pack up and go home or try to get creative with multiple dishes or extraordinary (extra cost) mounting scenarios. The installer really needs to be on board and involved with an installation that requires an SL3.

· Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, the installer is up there comes back, hooks everything up and doesnt have signal at all....all zero's.....what to do>>>

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.