DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was reading about this in another thread and didn't want to continue to derail that thread so I figured I would start a new thread to discuss what is known about netowrking for the HR20 and what we hope wish for out of it.

When it is enabled it is safe to say that we will be able to then use our HR20 to view pictures and listed to music from computers hooked up to the home network.

What I am hoping for is the ability to

1) Share programs between two HR20s
2) Use the networking feature to pull down "On Demand" Type programming

What does everyone think and what else is everyone else wishing for with regards to networking on the HR20?

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
would like a 'access point' type box for my other tv's

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thta would be a cool idea. Does anyone know if the home networking features will work with XP or will we have to have Windows Media Center version installed?

·
Crivens!
768 Posts
Mixer said:
What does everyone think and what else is everyone else wishing for with regards to networking on the HR20?
I primarily want the ability to use the internet to tell it to record something. I hate when I'm on the road and find out there's a great show on that I didn't know about.

As an adjunct to that, a nice to have would be the ability to come in over the internet and maintain (view & delete items in) the My Playlist and ToDo list screens. Might need it to make room for that cool new program, and or to ensure it doesn't get deleted before I get a chance to see it.

·
Legend
125 Posts
yes the sharing aspect of it is cool but most useful for me would be basically a web interface to manage the box. Set recordings, delete recordings, view things. Basically everything you can do now within the menuing interface I'd like to see a web interface for.

·
Godfather
261 Posts
Mixer said:
Thta would be a cool idea. Does anyone know if the home networking features will work with XP or will we have to have Windows Media Center version installed?
Don't have link but read that the interface was going to be w/ Vista and intel chip set only. Infact the computer would have to pass some stupid Intel certification so no homebuilt PC's could work. :mad:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,879 Posts
Mixer said:
1) Share programs between two HR20s
The chance of this happening is vanishingly small.
2) Use the networking feature to pull down "On Demand" Type programming
This is a wait and see thing. I would not make any plans based on this concept.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that is true (and I hope for all of our sake it isn't) then D* shot themselves in the foot big time. XP is in the most homes arounfd the country and is likely to be the number one used OS for at least 1 or 2 more years.

Barmat said:
Don't have link but read that the interface was going to be w/ Vista and intel chip set only. Infact the computer would have to pass some stupid Intel certification so no homebuilt PC's could work. :mad:

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes being able to control the HR20 from the internet would be a great idea.

Just J said:
I primarily want the ability to use the internet to tell it to record something. I hate when I'm on the road and find out there's a great show on that I didn't know about.

As an adjunct to that, a nice to have would be the ability to come in over the internet and maintain (view & delete items in) the My Playlist and ToDo list screens. Might need it to make room for that cool new program, and or to ensure it doesn't get deleted before I get a chance to see it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,879 Posts
Barmat said:
The acronym that you're looking for is Viiv. Viiv is not impossible on home-built machines, but it does seem to be inexorably tied to selected Intel Core Duo processors and chipsets.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
True but having it directly interface with the HR20 would save each person $200, so unles D* has invested interest in Slingbox it would not serve their customers well to say "don't worry about that feature, they can get s lingbox"

Chris Blount said:
A Slingbox would take care of that problem. :)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,879 Posts
Mixer said:
True but having it directly interface with the HR20 would save each person $200, so unles D* has invested interest in Slingbox it would not serve their customers well to say "don't worry about that feature, they can get s lingbox"
Funny you should mention that. Dish Network is vested in Slingbox. Apparently the Slingbox founders were frustrated that they couldn't receive Dish Network at work so they came up with a solution.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Right now, based on the annoucements, articles, and "other" information.

The first usage of the network connection is going to be to ViiV systems.
For Pictures and Audio.

From what I know about ViiV it is an add-on to Media Center (from a software point of view), on the Intel ViiV pages you can download testers and other things to see if your system can be "ViiV"ed.

There are other things planned for the network connection as well...
But I can't spill the beans yet... :D

However, I will say... sharing video content amongst two HR20s... is not in the cards right now.

·
Legend
268 Posts
Earl,
Any word on this feature for the ViiV systems? I know they said before the end of 2006. I have one of these systems already so I am waiting for it.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
dconfer said:
Earl,
Any word on this feature for the ViiV systems? I know they said before the end of 2006. I have one of these systems already so I am waiting for it.
The latest word, is that they are still on track to have it by years end.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
would love to be able to play my mp3s off my server!

·
Legend
268 Posts
Thanks Earl, I am more excited over this feature then OTA because I cant get OTA where I am at. Even got the DNS feeds from NYC even though my sd feeds are local ones.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.