DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new to DBSTalk and obviously not as computer literate as most of you. Please be gentle. :confused:

My household has 1 laptop (Dell Inspiron 1150 with built-in wireless adapter), 1 desktop PC (eMachines) with a 2-Wire wireless modem, 1 desktop PC that (old as dirt), and 2 DISH satellite receivers. We are considering purchasing a new laptop, surround sound speakers, and an Xbox 360. Also, 2 original Xbox consoles.

I would like to be able to do several wireless tasks.

1. View and use the computer(s) on my tv screen(s).
- to play PC games on the tv
- to access the internet
- to view video and pics

2. Download saved movies from my DISH DVR to an external hardrive.

3. Listen to the DISH music channels via wireless surround sound.

I know I'm asking for a lot here, but I am sure there's a way to do all of this. To complicate matters, my house is three stories with all the electronics spread out through the house.

I would be tremendously gratefull for any guidance.

Mickey

·
Icon
749 Posts
Mickey, I think you are getting ahead of current technology for home devices. There is some mention of using the new N type WiFi devices to move video around.

But things change fast. Check the Digital Living Network Alliance for new information.

http://www.dlna.org/en/industry/home/

I guess the 'Get a life' universal put- down is changing to 'Get a digital life' -- Hi Hi.

--- CHAS

·
Icon
628 Posts
1. Is your TV and HDTV?

If not, the quality of the TV won't let you enjoy connecting the PC to the TV. If your TV is HDTV then you'd need a video card in your PC that has an HDTV output. Like the Radeon X700 for example. Do a google search on this. You'll need a card for whatever slot you have open in your motherboard. It could be PCI, AGP, PCI-X.

2. Dish doesn't offer this yet. Coming soon. You could capture the programs in your Dish box by feeding the S-Video signal to a PC with an video capture board like the ATI HDTV Wonder for example. Once in the PC you can save the files to a DVD or external HD.

3. You can do this with a Slingo box. Connect the audio out from the Dish box to the Slingo box. Then from any PC connected to you wireless network connect to the Slingo box.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts