DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving into a town-house, and left my receivers with the buyers of my house. Good chance to upgrade to HDTV, I figured :p

Unfortunately I am running into problems. The Homeowners association (HA) only wants one satellite dish, and I would need a two-dish setup to get HDTV.

Also they are requring proof of installers General Liability insurance for $500k/$1M workers comp, PLUS making the installer name the HA as additional insurer.

Finally you have to install on the roof only, and enter the house right there. This forces me to pull wires down to the basement inside the house at additional cost.

So, mostly I am venting BUT
A) Are the insurance requirements normal?
B) How much should I expect to pay to pull cable down to the basement (both receivers down there) ($50? $500)
C) How much extra is it to install both dishes (if I persuade the HA) - I have the dish and do a Movers package

Right now I am considering switching to DirectTV, since I can get HDTV with only one dish, and it actually ends up being cheaper than staying with DISH. Just a shame, because I have actually like DISH...

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts
See the document in my sig...

But in short, MY OPINION ONLY (not a lawyer).

A - Insurance requirements like this are EXCESSIVE !
B - I think the HOA's requirements are unreasonable.
C - As long as it is YOUR EXCLUSIVE USE area, you should be able to put up as many "under 1 meter in diameter" dishes as you can fit. This would INCLUDE your patio / yard area.

I would certainly do some more research both here, www.avsforum.com, and www.dbsforums.com on this subject. There have been some excellently written letters that told the HOA'S to "go pound sand" that were well-reasoned and explained in great detail why the HOA was wrong. If such a letter doesn't faze them, it's time to go to the FCC (see procedure in the OTARD). And in something like this, it's up to the HOA to validate their rules to the FCC, not you to prove them wrong.

BTW - the OTARD also applies to OTA antennas...

·
Icon/Supporter
726 Posts
You can put as many 1 meter or less dishes, DTV television antennaes, high speed internet antennaes, etc you want in your exclusive use space.

The insurance requirements are in-line with what we see in CA, for example, for most licensed installers of cable (not cable TV, low voltage cables in offices, networking cables, etc)

You could always weld a Dish 500 (and either a 148 or 61.5) together and it would be 1 dish and still less than 1m <g>

·
AllStar
94 Posts
The insurance requirement is becoming more common (requiring install company to have gen liability coverage). Most install companies are required by the fufillment networks to carry that type of insurance to install satellite systems. But the naming the HOA as an additionally insured represents (IMO) an unreasonable delay. It doesn't cost the insured anything but the install company would have to contact his ins co to get the document.

Pulling cables from an attic to a basement can be a tricky proposition. If you want them fished inside the walls it might cost several hundred dollars to do and may require the installer to cut holes in your walls.Sounds like an excessive expense to me. A cheaper option may be to see if the HOA will allow you to do an exterior drop and cover it with some kind of molding (panduit) or standard PVC conduit or pipe.

Good luck to you

RR

G

·
Here in Texas most Town Homes Exteriors belong to the association rather than the individual owners, so they can control where and what is mounted. As far as DISH is concerned you are an existing customer and they expect you to bring your receivers with you when you use DISH MOVERS. So that 6000 receiver will be at full price $499.00. DirecTV with a single dish and new customer status will definitely be cheaper.

·
Godfather
414 Posts
I don't get HOA's like that. If they are so concerned with all the clutter from DBS why not just make the plunge and install a comcerial grade setup for each DBS system. Then they'd have a total of three dishes, period, end of story. Put a big bank of multi switches where the cable and phone D-Mark is.

·
AllStar
94 Posts
Several reasons why they don't

1. They don't want to spend the money. Systems to feed 30+ receivers are $$

2. They would then have to allow free access to the cable demark. Most are currently under lock and key to the cable co (who would prefer to keep it that way).

3. Service calls would be a nightmare. Ex..Customer has a receiver go bad on him. Calls D*/E*, who tell customer it was installed wrong (they always tell them that) have tech come out who installed. Tech comes out, has to get a hold of dish installation and maintence crew to get in lock box. Assuming the tech has any clue what all the switchgear does, he may be able to fix it (or may crash the whole system). Who pays for "common property" parts?

Believe me, I wish it were that easy, I have approached several apt and condo managers to pitch the idea to them. None of them have been interested so far and most are don't even want to listen.

4. The property managers wouldn't get their kickbacks from the cable company. Why do you think the HOA regs seem to be getting harder to comply with? (theory)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.