DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its not enabled yet but wanted to explore options for hooking this up. First any danger in hooking it up before the HR20 is capable of handling the input? Second would you use diplexors or just run a seperate line for OTA? My guess is seperate line since in future diplexors wont support some of the new sat capabilities? What type of cabling should I use to carry the OTA signal to the receiver? Should I ground the OTA outside as well as going through surge protectors inside?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
No, no danger of hooking it up now.
I have had my connected sicne day one.

You need a seperate line in the long run... you can get away with diplexing it now, but once they start to use the additional frequencies in the cable for the additional sats... you will run into problem.s

Regular RG-6 is fine...
Grounding outside (or just properly grounding) is a very good thing.
You may or may not need the surge protector inside.... when ota is enabled, if you are not getting a signal lose with the sruge protector go for it.... if you are... if you have it properly grounded you should in general be safe.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,879 Posts
spidey said:
First any danger in hooking it up before the HR20 is capable of handling the input?
No.
Second would you use diplexors or just run a seperate line for OTA?
A separate cable would be best unless you can't run the cable. You should be able to diplex in and out downstream of the switch.
What type of cabling should I use to carry the OTA signal to the receiver?
Don't scrimp here; you never know when you might want to add a second receiver.
Should I ground the OTA outside as well as going through surge protectors inside?
An ground is recommended for every coax coming through the wall. Don't get carried away with additional devices as each represents a decrease in signal (insertion loss).

·
Godfather
328 Posts
spidey said:
I know its not enabled yet but wanted to explore options for hooking this up. First any danger in hooking it up before the HR20 is capable of handling the input? Second would you use diplexors or just run a seperate line for OTA? My guess is seperate line since in future diplexors wont support some of the new sat capabilities? What type of cabling should I use to carry the OTA signal to the receiver? Should I ground the OTA outside as well as going through surge protectors inside?
I have had my ant cable grounded outside with a grouding bus then inside to a splitter where I ahve it connected to two hr10-250 and the hr20 eventhogh ota is not enabled yet on HR 20. Should have no affect eveen when d*tuns ota on. Run a new cable you can Use rg6 cable same as what you used for sat. I was told not to run through surge protector. For both ant and sat the grounding block outside should be sufficient. The surge suppressor may degrade the signal and cause other problems exspecially for the sat cable.

Rob

·
Hall Of Fame
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rlgold88 said:
I have had my ant cable grounded outside with a grouding bus then inside to a splitter where I ahve it connected to two hr10-250 and the hr20 eventhogh ota is not enabled yet on HR 20. Should have no affect eveen when d*tuns ota on. Run a new cable you can Use rg6 cable same as what you used for sat. I was told not to run through surge protector. For both ant and sat the grounding block outside should be sufficient. The surge suppressor may degrade the signal and cause other problems exspecially for the sat cable.

Rob
surge protector may affect sat cabes??? I have everythingthat comes into house going through surge protectors before going to equipment like TV, computer, sat etc

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
spidey said:
surge protector may affect sat cabes??? I have everythingthat comes into house going through surge protectors before going to equipment like TV, computer, sat etc
I think he may be referring to the coaxial surge protectors built into some "bar style" AC Line surge protectors. It is possible that a really cheap or poorly designed one (that has F connectors in and out) could cause signal problems. It would also be true if the surge protector (coaxial) has done it's job and while protecting the equipment, no longer passes the signal without substantial loss.

I don't think the person meant the AC line protection would affect a sat cable.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hasan said:
I think he may be referring to the coaxial surge protectors built into some "bar style" AC Line surge protectors. It is possible that a really cheap or poorly designed one (that has F connectors in and out) could cause signal problems. It would also be true if the surge protector (coaxial) has done it's job and while protecting the equipment, no longer passes the signal without substantial loss.

I don't think the person meant the AC line protection would affect a sat cable.
I current use a sure protector that handles coax, in/out, ant in/out, phone line in out and all the units plugged into it. Have used these since 1995 when original DTV systems were installed never saw issues before but than again this was before HD etc

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
spidey said:
I current use a sure protector that handles coax, in/out, ant in/out, phone line in out and all the units plugged into it. Have used these since 1995 when original DTV systems were installed never saw issues before but than again this was before HD etc
Certainly, and I didn't mean to imply they wouldn't work...just that they could be a possible cause of signal loss.

My installer refused to let me initially connect my coaxial surge protector...absolutely refused. He said he had run into too many problems with them and that if I wanted to I could connect it after he left. (now that's determined!)

·
AllStar
96 Posts
I had my HR10 hooked into a Monster Power center. One satellite line hooked into the "satellite" protector worked fine. I hooked the other satellite/OTA diplexed line into the "antenna" protector, and the satellite signal was severely degraded, OTA was fine. There must be some filter or something that blocks out certain frequencies.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
No, no danger of hooking it up now.
I have had my connected sicne day one.

You need a seperate line in the long run... you can get away with diplexing it now, but once they start to use the additional frequencies in the cable for the additional sats... you will run into problem.s

Regular RG-6 is fine...
Grounding outside (or just properly grounding) is a very good thing.
You may or may not need the surge protector inside.... when ota is enabled, if you are not getting a signal lose with the sruge protector go for it.... if you are... if you have it properly grounded you should in general be safe.
So how long do you think it will be before we may see issues with a diplexed or combined OTA signal with the Satellite signal? Months? Years? Trying to decide if I should just tackle this issue now and run a dedicated line for my OTA. Thanks.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
HJJ said:
So how long do you think it will be before we may see issues with a diplexed or combined OTA signal with the Satellite signal? Months? Years? Trying to decide if I should just tackle this issue now and run a dedicated line for my OTA. Thanks.
Probably around April once the additional SATs are launched

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.