DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just called Direct TV, and since it is just me in the house they recommended I get one recevier for both of my tv's. The lady was pretty nice, and said that I could get a two remotes and be able to use one downstairs (on tv one), and one upstairs on tv two. She said this will also waive the second reciver fee. ANyone know if this is accurate, and can I do this. If so how do I run the wires? Thanks! :confused:

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
Rocko62580 said:
Hi. I just called Direct TV, and since it is just me in the house they recommended I get one recevier for both of my tv's. The lady was pretty nice, and said that I could get a two remotes and be able to use one downstairs (on tv one), and one upstairs on tv two. She said this will also waive the second reciver fee. ANyone know if this is accurate, and can I do this. If so how do I run the wires? Thanks! :confused:
There are a couple of ways to do this. With a standard D11 receiver the remotes are IR-only so you would need to purchase an IR extender. There are a number of these available. I bought one several years ago from Radio Shack. You would need to connect a coaxial cable from the RF output of the receiver to the input of the second TV, and set that TV to channel 3 or 4. The extender didn't work all that well so I bit the bullet and got a second receiver.

The HD receivers (H20 and HR20) have remotes which will do RF so an extender isn't needed. They don't have RF outputs, so you would need to run audio and video cables to the other television.

The R15 DVR has an RF capability but it hasn't been activated. It may be in the future. This standard definition DVR has an RF output like the D11.

·
Legend
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bobnielsen said:
There are a couple of ways to do this. With a standard D11 receiver the remotes are IR-only so you would need to purchase an IR extender. There are a number of these available. I bought one several years ago from Radio Shack. You would need to connect a coaxial cable from the RF output of the receiver to the input of the second TV, and set that TV to channel 3 or 4. The extender didn't work all that well so I bit the bullet and got a second receiver.

The HD receivers (H20 and HR20) have remotes which will do RF so an extender isn't needed. They don't have RF outputs, so you would need to run audio and video cables to the other television.

The R15 DVR has an RF capability but it hasn't been activated. It may be in the future. This standard definition DVR has an RF output like the D11.
Thank great answer! What about the R-10 Tivo? WOuld it work with this unit?

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
All Tivo-based DVRs are IR-only. An IR extender should work. I believe that the R10 has a channel 3/4 output. I doubt that R10s are available new anymore, but some dealers may have a few.

·
Legend
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bobnielsen said:
All Tivo-based DVRs are IR-only. An IR extender should work. I believe that the R10 has a channel 3/4 output. I doubt that R10s are available new anymore, but some dealers may have a few.
Can I use a splitter for the coax out, one would to my downstairs TV, and the other to the upstiars tv?

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Rocko62580 said:
Can I use a splitter for the coax out, one would to my downstairs TV, and the other to the upstiars tv?
Yes, you can, but why not just connect the composite (rca or yellow/red/white) cables to the tv the tivo is with, and run the coax out to the other tv w/out a splitter?

Also, you can go to electronic shops and get a 3rd party "cone" to use an IR remote to change the channel in the other room.

NOTE: Any way you do this, running two tvs off of one receiver, tivo or not, will still get the same picture in both rooms.

·
Legend
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AnonomissX said:
Yes, you can, but why not just connect the composite (rca or yellow/red/white) cables to the tv the tivo is with, and run the coax out to the other tv w/out a splitter?

Also, you can go to electronic shops and get a 3rd party "cone" to use an IR remote to change the channel in the other room.

NOTE: Any way you do this, running two tvs off of one receiver, tivo or not, will still get the same picture in both rooms.
That's the best idea I have heard! Thanks! Yes I am aware that it will be the same signal, I actually prefer this as I am the only person in the house, and that way I can watch recorder programs on different tv's!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.