DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Godfather
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one Hopper and one Joey. My internet connection is via a HIC connected to my Joey. Works OK at best. My Hopper will frequently drop the internet connection.

MY SETUP.....
I have a 100gb unmanaged Ethernet switch behind my TV that I connect all my toys to. It seems that the Hopper wants a dedicated connection (no internet access when running via the switch.) I had to use a ac power adapter and that works fine. I'm going to try a 100gb switch next week and see if its happy with that. Why is the Hopper soo picky about its internet connection?

But for now, it seems the hopper wants a dedicated connection to my router.

Loss of internet connection has cost me frequent lockups when accessing web apps (Weather channel for example.) The Hopper is not smart enough to know it does not have access and locks up with a blue screen. Power off, back on is the only fix. I demonstrated this for the tech yesterday by disabling my internet connection and starting the Weather Channel app.

Overall, I'm happy and understand its all new.

·
AllStar
63 Posts
I have a netgear gs608 8 port gigabit switch running all my livingroom gear. Internet access workable fine for me. I sling from my cell phone anywhere using the dish appt.

BTW...according to my netgear switch, the hopper runs at a max of 100mbps with cat6 cables.

·
Super Moderator
53,494 Posts
I have a Netgear 10/100 switch in my living room to connect up to four toys to the feed coming up from the basement where my router/gateway is located. I have not noticed any problems with connectivity, including sling use via wi-fi. (My biggest connectivity problem is having DSL. Good connectivity most of the time, but slow speed.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.