DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend/Supporter
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried the Amazon Cube in place of the Joey 4K I had, but it's not comparable in a good way. The Dish Anywhere app is slow, skip ahead is slow, and lip sync is off pretty bad. Prime Video and Netflix and all the other apps work fine, so I suppose it is the Dish app that has issues (for me anyway). Picture quality is also not as good as what we had with the Joey 4K.

Now they are only offering the new 4K Joey that has apps on it. Do the new 4K Joey units use Dish Anywhere, or is it like the older models?

What about a second Hopper 3 to get native 4K... does that require a second dish antenna installed on top of the house (or outside)?

Regards,
Sonnie

·
Hall Of Fame
3,999 Posts
The Joey 4K is merely a client (as are ALL Joeys) to the Hopper that is incapable of displaying 4K HDR.

The Joey 4 is capable of displaying 4K HDR and also displaying the android apps that the Hopper+ has.

The Joey 4 and the Joey 4K are two seperate appliances - I say it that way because neither is a receiver, they only operate as an additional display connection off the Hopper.

The Dish Anywhere comes from the Hopper w/sling (HWS) or the Hopper3. The Joey 4 is a 4K HDR display apparatus used with the Hopper+ which is and add-on to the HWS or H3, but if the Hopper+ is disconnected from the Hopper, the Joey 4 will still operate off the Hopper as if it were a Joey 3. I'm not certain the Joey 4 will display 4K HDR off channels 540-01 and 540-02 as my TV is 4K non-HDR so I get to see nothing 4K off the Hopper any way.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
It became so complicated.... it would be useful to have a matrix of devices and its compatibility
Everything is complicated when you introduce the Super Joey into the discussion. I don't think there is enough of a population of them out there to worry about. I suspect that those who needed more tuners have turned to the Hopper 3 as it is overall a better solution to more tuners and the fact that the Super Joey can't view 4K (however little there is) is a downer.

DISH's online documentation of the Hopper Plus is certainly lacking.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,506 Posts
Sure - when we moved in, we just had a HWS. The 2nd cousin that was living here discovered that he could record lots of some Comedy Central show (I think it was South Park), and always using one tuner. So I got the SJ, and after it was installed, it's been nice having the extra tuners. No muss no fuss - it just works. The funny thing is that the TV it is attached to is usually viewing a tuner on the Hopper now that he is gone. A tuner on the SJ is usually only used for recording now in our use.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,506 Posts
Tried the Amazon Cube in place of the Joey 4K I had, but it's not comparable in a good way. The Dish Anywhere app is slow, skip ahead is slow, and lip sync is off pretty bad. Prime Video and Netflix and all the other apps work fine, so I suppose it is the Dish app that has issues (for me anyway). Picture quality is also not as good as what we had with the Joey 4K.

Now they are only offering the new 4K Joey that has apps on it. Do the new 4K Joey units use Dish Anywhere, or is it like the older models?

What about a second Hopper 3 to get native 4K... does that require a second dish antenna installed on top of the house (or outside)?

Regards,
Sonnie
DIsh AnyWhere on the cube is mostly functional (after you get used to the different control style), but the Sirius channels aren't available. I do admit that the TV I'm using it on has a Super Joey as well (both going through my Yamaha AVR) and is only a 720p TV.

·
Hall Of Fame
7,506 Posts
A couple more things to consider -
1. Set the audio output on the FireTV Cube to Dolby Digital or PCM ( not DD Plus or higher) when using Dish Anywhere
2. remember the mantra - "WiFi is for convienence - ethernet is for performance". You should be using at least CAT5 (100 Mbps) for both the Hopper and the FireTV
3. Check the Dish Anywhere app for somewhere that can adjust for lipsync.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts