DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Legend
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of switching to E*, and can't seem to find this anywhere on specs for the Hopper, does it do Native Resolution? If not, I suppose you just set it at one resolution, and it sticks with that? Does that effect PQ at all?

· Godfather
630 Posts
You set the TV type to 1080i/720p/480i. In theory, if the upscaler on your TV is better than the Hoppers, 720 programming would look better if you switched the TV type for 720 channels to 720. I suspect it would be a very subtle improvement. I don't see a native mode.

· Hall Of Fame
2,396 Posts
No Dish receivers have a native option like D*. Just set it and forget it and enjoy the speed. It upscales everything to 1080 just fine. When I had D* I found the slowness of channel surfing negated any benefit of having my tv scale instead of the receiver anyway.

If you are concerned about aspect ratio, Dish has every setting you can imagine and can be different for each channel.

There seem to be a lot of native mode diehards out there. But I wonder if they've really done a comparison to see if their other devices ate better at scaling than their sat box. I have done such a comparison and found that my sat box did a much better job than my TV.

In any case, the MPEG4 decoders in the Hopper are noticeably better than those on older receivers, making all content look very good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.