DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Hopper with Sling with 2 Joey Receivers. I called about upgrading to a Super Joey. I didn't know anything about it...but wanted to get some info.

I need the additional tuner. A few nights we record 3 programs at 1 time.

I was offered $150 and $10 fee monthly for the device replacing 1 of the Joeys. After some hesitation...they dropped it to $100 and $10/monthly.

Is this the normal offer? Also, anyone with experience that if it would be worth this type of investment to just gain 1 additional tuner?

Thanks!

·
Cool Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In your opinion...is the cost associated worth the upgrade? I am still trying to wrap my mind around the PrimeTime Anytime feature with a Super Joey. If I have 4 tuners...how it can record that many shows at once and still be able to watch Live TV. I don't see how that works.

·
Legend
533 Posts
With PTAT enabled the Hopper records all 4 major networks and only uses one tuner (Transponder) to accomplish this. Even outside of Primetime only one tuner is used for the major networks. That leaves 2 sat tuners for other uses. Adding a SJ adds 2 sat tuners not one. In the first case you can record 6 shows with PTAT enabled, the 4 networks and 2 sat shows. With a SJ you add 2 sat tuners so its possible to be recording 8 shows at once with PTAT. If you turn off PTAT then you have 5 tuners available with a SJ. You can add an OTA module which will give an additional tuner in each case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.