DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,710 Posts
It is a channel that has been on DISH receivers for over a decade - and was finally brought to the Hopper system for the Olympics this year. Not having it for the past couple of years I learned to live without it. (BTW: It was also used for March Madness.)

When I first got the Hopper I wondered where the channel was and felt that it was something missing (a channel I could get on my 301 but not my new Hopper?). From that perspective, they are restoring a lost feature. But it does seem to be of limited use.

The original channel 100 is a launchpad for apps ... the Hopper has one on every channel - press the blue button and all the apps on the receiver appear across the bottom of the screen. So that purpose is lost. The only thing left is having channel 100 be a showcase of six channels.

While your suggestion for time based changes to the channel line up is interesting I do not see DISH giving the channel that much thought. If there is something special going on I can see them selecting channels to match that event (Olympics, March Madness, perhaps news channels on Election Day). I would not expect changes throughout the day.

Today's oddity is that they are using letterboxed feeds in each of the boxes. It is a HD channel, I'd expect the HD feeds to be in each box (no SD stretch). But as I mentioned, I don't believe DISH is giving the channel much thought unless they have a special event.

If it were up to me I'd put free preview channels on channel 100.

·
Super Moderator
53,710 Posts
Blueflash said:
As for why not in HD that is a question for Dish and has been bantered around for a while also but never replied to by dish.
I believe channel 100 HopView is a HD channel. A HD backdrop with text added by the receiver. In a quick experiment, if either the HD or SD feed of the source channel is locked the feed is locked. Sports blackouts should work the same way.

It appears that DISH is using SD channels on the HD HopView channel ... but shrunk down to less than 1/9th of the screen size the sources can be SD. I'd prefer that they were not letterboxed inside the frames.

·
Super Moderator
53,710 Posts
Dish could use the data from the What's Hot app to decide what is popular throughout the day. The mix may be accurate.

·
Super Moderator
53,710 Posts
Jim5506 said:
But it's all still SD and I have every SD copy of my HD channels locked out - Hopview is useless to me.
HopView is a HD mosaic ... your decision to lock out SD channels sounds like a personal problem.

Perhaps DISH should rework the logic to say "if either HD or SD is unlocked show the channel" instead of "if either HD or SD is locked hide the channel". But locking out SD is unneeded. HD is already preferred on the receiver. You're not doing yourself any favors locking out SD channels.

·
Super Moderator
53,710 Posts
With the way that channels are delivered via satellite (a group of channels per transponder with different channels on different transponders) one would only be able to choose from channels on a single transponder to make their own mix. Mixing channels from multiple transponders would take multiple tuners. At best DISH would be able to offer a selection of six of ~30 SD channels on a transponder (assuming MPEG4) but that would burn an entire transponder for a single channel. A transponder that could be used for nine new HD channels.

Would you rather have your choice of 30 channels on a mix channel or more HD? I believe most people would choose the more HD.

I like the concept of a "choose your own mix" and would not mind seeing more mix channels for different genres ... but if mix channels get in the way of new HD they are counterproductive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.