DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd start a thread for this race so DirecTV can see what the issues are instead of wading through the "this week on nascar" thread trying to find things.

VERY bad video breakup on Harvick's channel.

At least twice a lap I'm seeing pauses in video.

Also the engine is MUCH louder than the team radio, can barely hear his spotter over the engine.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,042 Posts
Looking at Gordon blow by Harvick like he was standing still, looks like Harvick's car was having issues.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For whomever it was that was wondering if the censorship would be off so that DirecTV could get more subscribers you were dead on! Harvick just had an F-bomb tirade, no muting all.

·
Legend
105 Posts
About lap 35 I stopped getting audio from the 17. Haven't heard any communications through a round of pits on lap 46, so something is up. Other channels are still working for me.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rosco said:
I like how wide open coverage is little commercial screens except when TNT wants to promote themselves or TBS then it is a complete commercial break
And during those breaks HotPass promotes itself as well and doesn't show the TNT commercials. :lol:

UPDATE: Now here's a weird one... TNT is on another one of their "local break" deals. The TNT window on HotPass is still showing a TNT feed of the race but TNT itself is showing their commercials.

·
AllStar
66 Posts
RunnerFL said:
And during those breaks HotPass promotes itself as well and doesn't show the TNT commercials. :lol:

UPDATE: Now here's a weird one... TNT is on another one of their "local break" deals. The TNT window on HotPass is still showing a TNT feed of the race but TNT itself is showing their commercials.
Lots of empty seats there, how come you aren't there?

·
Godfather
497 Posts
RunnerFL said:

TNT is all for self-promotion .... that we don't watch their channel is the promotion I see. Anyway, 799 audio is off. Now that JJ is in the seat, team radio has improved! Funny, not.

At least in commercial mode, they are showing the race on-going, which is something I have wanted since ESPN can do it.

I have Jr on one set and 799 on the other and sync is off. Both use HD receivers.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I like ESPN's coverage of IRL races.

NASCAR claims they can't do that because their sponsors won't allow it.

Come on NASCAR... IRL is struggling financially and they can pull it off.

·
Godfather
325 Posts
Rosco said:
I like how wide open coverage is little commercial screens except when TNT wants to promote themselves or TBS then it is a complete commercial break
The main point of those breaks aren't for self promotion. To help justify the cost for a channel, cable and satellite companies are allowed to insert local ads at certain times. Contractually, they must go to a full screen break unless other arrangements are made. Most people will see local ads instead of the TNT promos. Not all cable companies will run local ads though so TNT has to show something. TNT would much rather have viewers see their own promos than their announcers talking about what they will say when they "come back". As RunnerFL pointed out, sometimes HotPass for some reason skips these breaks and you can still watch the raw race feed.

·
DINFOS Trained Killer
1,217 Posts
neighbors bought tickets late yesterday afternoon. cost $130 for two and they got handicapped seating. haven't been to the track in so many years, i have no idea where they say. guess, i could ask.

back to hot pass, watched jr's channel and i was able to use my green button. it was the only one which functioned. last lap, i switched to national feed and my interactive menu popped up. and i was using my h20.

·
Godfather
497 Posts
Dang, we finally had a race worth watching. Unfortunately watching Hotpass was again, laddened with audio issues. On 799 with Smokes audio, JJ in the seat with the caution he was involved in around 25 laps to go, JJ comes on saying something then a GD and dead airspace. Grandson, 16, is "what is going on, what did he say". So I go into my short version of why the button pusher leans on the button so we can't hear the rest of the sentence. He ponders for a moment and simply says, well if parents don't want to hear the words they say then don't get Hotpass. They hear those words all the time so what is the problem. I raised him right and he knows not to use them. He knows the heat of the moment brings out words some people wouldn't normally use. He knew that the censor cut the entire context of what JJ had done out of the audio feed and he didn't like it any more than I did.

So yes, there was lots of censoring going on Smokes audio on 799. Sound levels were much better when they did communicate with each other.

·
Mentor
38 Posts
Watched the Jr. channel all race with no bad language. Maybe a dozen times the video would freeze for a second, but nothing too bad. Audio options were non-existent with only the Hotpass audio working, no team radio or network.

Overall it was a good race, the outcome was less than would be desired....

·
Freethinker
3,183 Posts
No real issues on the Gordon channel. A couple of minor audio things that were quickly resolved.

The censoring was spot-on. They managed to censor the offending sylables while allowing the rest of the conversation to get through.

Very exciting race and a great race to have Hotpass. I was very happy until that last restart.

·
Legend
105 Posts
SPACEMAKER said:
No real issues on the Gordon channel. A couple of minor audio things that were quickly resolved.

The censoring was spot-on. They managed to censor the offending sylables while allowing the rest of the conversation to get through.

Very exciting race and a great race to have Hotpass. I was very happy until that last restart.
I second that Spacemaker - just wish we could have seen more in-car shots. Otherwise, I agree w/ everything you said, especially being happy until the last restart.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.