DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we babysat a 5 year old. He messed with cables and lost 2 smartcards:( We found one so far...

I am thinking of putting my system in a closet. UPS, eventually 4 PVR receivers, switches, modulators, and IR repeater system.

This isnt the first time someone messed around here. If everything were in a closet it would be safe, and sound.

Has anyone else done this? One big advantage would be cleaning. With everything in a closet I wouldnt have the dust in receiver problem. Presently I use a air hose to perodically blow the dust out of receivers. Our dogs drag in so much dirt which becomes airborn as dust when dry...

Will temperature be a problem?

Any ideas will be apreciated...

·
DishRetailer.com Administrator/Supporter
107 Posts
I have installed several systems in a closet. Just keep in mind of overheating your equipment though. Install a fan in the closet door if possible or do something to move some air across the equipment. Put some filters on the fans to catch most of the dust and you should be fine.

·
DishRetailer.com Administrator/Supporter
107 Posts
To much dust can cause harm to just about anythng electronic. Heat is electronics worst enemy. You can get small filters for fans at most electronic stores. If you have a 501/508, the cooling fan is right behind the hardrive. If it gets to the point where it stops, then the hardrive could overheat. Just remember to schedule monthly cleanings of your equipment with some compressed air. I have 2 headend rack systems that I service monthly, and they usually always need a cleaning.

Good luck

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
I have my stereo system in a piece of furniture meant to be a kitchen island. It is up against the wall (back is open to let air in/heat out). The front doors can be locked shut. I got a remote control IR repeater and ran it to all the equipment inside. That way the only reason I need to open it up is to change a DVD or video cassette. I have a UPS, 2 VCRs, DVD/LD, CD, Preamps, AMPS, etc all tucked away in there (it is pretty big, but you would never know that there was a home entertainment system hidden in there).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.