DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Legend
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that there a a few software engineers on this forum, like myself, that use Test Cases to methodically test software using a list of tests, expected results and actual results reported.

Maybe D* or someone else could provide a test scenario something like this:

Test Step Expected Result Actual Result
(If failed,provide info)

1 Press Guide on Remote Guide Menu Pops Up Menu Popped Up
2 Select All Channels Guide Shows All Channels All Channels Appeared
3 Schedule HD OTA Record Recording Works Blew Up. Only 30 mins recorded.

This way there would be some structured testing and not a bunch of random chance errors showing up. These are good, but for feedback to the programmers at D* this would go a long way.

Sorry about the formatting. There should be columns for each heading, but you should get the gist of it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
This is a great idea. I do this at my job for Wireless/GPRS/WiFi connectivity. I would gladly participate in this kind of testing for the HR20 software releases.

DaHound said:
It seems to me that there a a few software engineers on this forum, like myself, that use Test Cases to methodically test software using a list of tests, expected results and actual results reported.

Maybe D* or someone else could provide a test scenario something like this:

Test Step Expected Result Actual Result
(If failed,provide info)

1 Press Guide on Remote Guide Menu Pops Up Menu Popped Up
2 Select All Channels Guide Shows All Channels All Channels Appeared
3 Schedule HD OTA Record Recording Works Blew Up. Only 30 mins recorded.

This way there would be some structured testing and not a bunch of random chance errors showing up. These are good, but for feedback to the programmers at D* this would go a long way.

·
Legend
148 Posts
I think there are two problems with this scenario:

1 - I bet D* has test cases that they are running and must pass, and they are probably more detailed than we will create.

2 - Most of the bugs that people encounter are not reproducible with a step by step process. The ones that are get fixed in 1 or 2 releases. If they were reproducible, D* would create test cases to fix them.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I think DaHound was saying that since we are more or less Beta testing when we force these release why don;t they go full out and give us the same testing scereios to test for them

laxcoach said:

1 - I bet D* has test cases that they are running and must pass, and they are probably more detailed than we will create.

2 - Most of the bugs that people encounter are not reproducible with a step by step process. The ones that are get fixed in 1 or 2 releases. If they were reproducible, D* would create test cases to fix them.

·
Legend
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
laxcoach said:

I see a lot of "I think I did this, or Not sure what I did". This would at least give more sturcture to what exactly was done when something blows up or doesn't work.

I wouldn't expect the same detailed test cases that D* runs, but for us putting the HR20 through it's "Normal Expected Functionality", it would go a long way.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
Maybe Earl should pick 5-10 people to start (if this would even be allowed) and then if it works out and D8 is happy with the feedback he could add 10-20 more for the next time.

Add a poll to see who would even be interested :)

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Wishful thinking, but I doubt it would happen. You guys have much more patience than I if you're willing to run through test cases. I just want to watch TV with the damn thing :rolleyes:

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Seemingly that anyone with the time and talent can produce their own test cases just by reading the threads and seeing if they can recreate the problems. While informal, it does allow for the matching of interest, talent, and time availability. For instance, I have lots of interest and a fair amount of talent. And last week I had time. This week, I'm on the road and no time. Would love to be testing 10b with my "test cases" that I use on each new release, mostly centered around manual recurring, OTA, and a couple of other questions people have asked about.

The other advantage to each of us "creating our own wheel" is that we'll not be doing tests that pass in the lab, but tests that are fully unique to each of us and therefore more likely to catch things that aren't caught in the lab.

Thusly the challenge is given: Go forth and test, test, test. :)

Merry Christmas,
Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.