DBSTalk Forum banner
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

· Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I absolutely LOVE my two remaining, still working HR20s. I've had them since 1998, and they're STILL cranking along!
Absoutely. If they still work why retire them. Many still love their beautiful color (only other receivers with such were the H10, HR10, a couple Hughes boxes, R15, and D11). Additionally, their OTA antenna module is sought after, especially since an AM21 for another DTV receiver is becoming harder and harder to find these days for a ‘cheap’ price. You’d end up sending over $100.

· Registered
1,165 Posts

· Supreme Member
8,902 Posts
I didn't get it from Solid Signal, so that post is irrelevant. All I know is that when I moved, which was well before 2006, I had the HR20 with me. It was at the time my primary receiver. I don't know why you're so worked up about this. Telling me that I did not have an HR20 before 2006 when I did, in fact, have one is the ultimate in chutzpah.

BTW, not everything you read on the Internet, especially from Solid Signal, is true. After they told me there was "no way" I could presently have an active HR44 on my account when I do in fact have one, I don't believe anything those sales hucksters say anymore.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Announced at CES 2006 and reviewed in August. Not sure what you moved.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I didn't get it from Solid Signal, so that post is irrelevant. All I know is that when I moved, which was well before 2006, I had the HR20 with me. It was at the time my primary receiver. I don't know why you're so worked up about this. Telling me that I did not have an HR20 before 2006 when I did, in fact, have one is the ultimate in chutzpah.

BTW, not everything you read on the Internet, especially from Solid Signal, is true. After they told me there was "no way" I could presently have an active HR44 on my account when I do in fact have one, I don't believe anything those sales hucksters say anymore.
As I said, you can feel free to do your own research. The release date of the HR20 is confirmed by other sources, as well as by posts on this forum from countless people who bought HR20s when they came out in 2006. Or you can continue to deny the facts.

· Supreme Member
8,902 Posts
I cannot deny the truth. It was 1 of 3 receivers that came with me when I moved, a move that occurred before 2006.

I am not disputing anything you or James say. I am simply sharing my situation, which is factual. There is a lot I did with DirecTV prior to official releases. Not everything publicly available on the Internet is 100% accurate.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
I absolutely LOVE my two remaining, still working HR20s. I've had them since 1998, and they're STILL cranking along!
So you had HR20s in 1998? Or does "them" refer to DIRECTV and not the "two" HR20s?

I am glad your old receivers, regardless of the model number or exact age, are working for you. Even at 16 years old a still running HR20 is a good thing. Or a still running receiver of a different model.

· Registered
2,550 Posts
I started DirecTV in 2003. At that time I got 2 DirecTivo's for free at Circuit City. I believe they were the only DVR's DirecTV offered. Later I got a HR10-250 DirecTivo which was the first DirecTV HD receiver. Then DirecTV began offering their own non-Tivo HR20 which had a built in OTA tuner. I got my HR20-700 in 2006 from Circuit City and I still have the box it came in. I recycled the receiver years ago.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I started DirecTV in 2003. At that time I got 2 DirecTivo's for free at Circuit City. I believe they were the only DVR's DirecTV offered. Later I got a HR10-250 DirecTivo which was the first DirecTV HD receiver. Then DirecTV began offering their own non-Tivo HR20 which had a built in OTA tuner. I got my HR20-700 in 2006 from Circuit City and I still have the box it came in. I recycled the receiver years ago.
Those who bought their HR20s within the first few months of its 2006 release will probably recall how buggy they were. They were known for the infamous "black screen bug". When you tried to view a recording, you would often get just a black screen. The issue persisted for several months until it was finally fixed by a software update.

· Supreme Member
8,902 Posts
Those who bought their HR20s within the first few months of its 2006 release will probably recall how buggy they were. They were known for the infamous "black screen bug". When you tried to view a recording, you would often get just a black screen. The issue persisted for several months until it was finally fixed by a software update.
Funny you should mention the black screen, because I have an HR24 that has been doing that on a somewhat irregular basis. Everything just disappears, including the sound. Only a reboot fixes it.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
OK, I'll get some pictures of a newspaper from the day I moved, too. :rolleyes:
From September 1st, 2007:
I live in a pretty decent apt. complex and will have been here 9 years this September.

Ten days ago I had my Phase III 3-lnb dish replaced with the Slimline 5-lnb dish when my HR20-700s were installed.
That is from your thread.
"Hi Ho! Hi Ho! Is it off to court I go? (Landlord raises stink re. new dish)"

The topic continued in 2011 in a second thread.
"The Battle is on! My landlord now demands I remove my dish"

Based on other threads it appears you moved in 2016? In any case, your HR20 was installed around August 21st, 2007 per your own post 10 days later. I hope you can believe that post.

Moving on ... I am glad that your receiver is still working well after 15 years.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts