DBSTalk Forum banner
81 - 100 of 103 Posts

Registered
Funny you should mention the black screen, because I have an HR24 that has been doing that on a somewhat irregular basis. Everything just disappears, including the sound. Only a reboot fixes it.
My HR24 goes black or shows no communication with the dish on occasion, but it's due to the coax connection on the back. It usually happens if the box gets moved slightly or one of the cats walks on it. It will start working again if I reseat the cable. I would look into getting it fixed or swapping out the box, but both of my DirecTV DVRs will be gone for good when I cancel my service this month.

Super Moderator
I moved twice before 2012. 馃槈
Yep. You apparently moved in 1998 and that was before 2012.

Your own post says you got your HR20 installed in August 2007 (10 days before a September 1st post). So were you lying then or are you lying now? Really. I have given you the chance to walk away. Apparently you can't even believe your own posts!

AllStar
I cancelled last night, been a customer since 2001. I have an HR44, HR24, and two Genie clients. She said I would get either an email or a letter with return instructions. I went with YouTube TV, Philo TV (for A&E channels and Reelz), and my monthly bill will be right around $100 cheaper. I bought one Apple TV 4K for the living room, and four closeout Apple TV HDs for our other TVs. Cancelation call took 11 minutes.

Cool Member/Supporter
I cancelled last night, been a customer since 2001. I have an HR44, HR24, and two Genie clients. She said I would get either an email or a letter with return instructions. I went with YouTube TV, Philo TV (for A&E channels and Reelz), and my monthly bill will be right around $100 cheaper. I bought one Apple TV 4K for the living room, and four closeout Apple TV HDs for our other TVs. Cancelation call took 11 minutes.
Did they offer you a bunch of discounts or anything like that ?
Just want to know what to expect when I call to cancel after 28 years.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
My friend had been subbed since 1994 like you glrush. When he called to cancel they didn鈥檛 bribe him with anything. In fact, they just went and did it with no issues. They did, however, ask him if he would be interested in DIRECTV STREAM, which he kindly declined. FRYNDLY TV was all he needed.

Cool Member/Supporter
My friend had been subbed since 1994 like you glrush. When he called to cancel they didn鈥檛 bribe him with anything. In fact, they just went and did it with no issues. They did, however, ask him if he would be interested in DIRECTV STREAM, which he kindly declined. FRYNDLY TV was all he needed.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was hoping for.
Hopefully we'll get some questions answered about YTTV and Sunday Ticket soon. That's all I'm waiting for.

Registered
Did they tell you the amount of your final bill? I always thought the bill that I got during the month was for the upcoming month of service, but the bill I paid in December shows a service period of December 2 through January 1, so it looks like I'll owe them for January when I get the bill later this month. If I cancel next week, will my service continue until the end of the month?

Godfather
Two January ago I cancelled after nearly twenty years. I had a HR24, some old inactivated SD receivers, plus one or two HD DVRs. They didn't ask for any of it back.

I occasionally received letters to reactivate, so I thought maybe they kept hoping I'd turn them back on?

Also, when I left I went to YouTube tv. I think you all will be happy with some time. It's a great service.

AllStar
Did they tell you the amount of your final bill? I always thought the bill that I got during the month was for the upcoming month of service, but the bill I paid in December shows a service period of December 2 through January 1, so it looks like I'll owe them for January when I get the bill later this month. If I cancel next week, will my service continue until the end of the month?
I thought that was odd too. My billing cycle ends on 1/11, so she said it would keep working until then and I would have one final month payment due that day.

Registered
I thought that was odd too. My billing cycle ends on 1/11, so she said it would keep working until then and I would have one final month payment due that day.
That means I will owe them for the month of January, which is fine. I can pay off my DirecTV bill and get rid of the DirecTV hardware. I noticed yesterday that Youtube TV is offering a 2-week free trial, so I'm planning to sign up next week. I have a new Roku arriving Friday that will replace my second DVR, along with two extra Roku remotes.

AllStar
I called back in since I never received anything about equipment return. Even though I already canceled, they still tried all the retention stuff. It was a 20 minute call to finally get the information on returns. I have an HR44-700, (2) C41-700s, and an HR22-100. She said they just need the HR44 back with no remotes or cables. I have to take it by the UPS Store and give them my account number.

Registered
I called back in since I never received anything about equipment return. Even though I already canceled, they still tried all the retention stuff. It was a 20 minute call to finally get the information on returns. I have an HR44-700, (2) C41-700s, and an HR22-100. She said they just need the HR44 back with no remotes or cables. I have to take it by the UPS Store and give them my account number.
Let us know how it works out with the return - i.e., if the UPS Store is able to handle the return with just your DirecTV account number. I'll be canceling this week, and I have an HR54 and HR24.

Registered
To be on the safe and not receive a possible notice, "To Return Equipment," down the road, I'd take all the stuff to the UPS store within 7 days of cancelation. That's me. ATT is paying for the return.

Registered
We moved overseas, and our HR24-200 ended up somewhere or got lost in the move - basically it's gone. I suspended our satellite account and later on we signed up for a Stream package to stay connected with home. As I'm about to cancel our satellite package, will they charge us for the HR24-200 if we can't return it....as it's lost? Anyone having had similar experience?

Premium Member
If they want it back they will charge you. If they don鈥檛 want it back then you are in the clear. Sometimes they ask for them back. Sometimes they don鈥檛. I recently had an HR24 replaced and they didn鈥檛 ask for it back. On phone support later they told me they wanted it back. Since I don鈥檛 have a local UPS or FedEx store to return them through they agreed to send me a prepaid label for USPS to ship it back. That was over a month ago and I never got the label. 2 days ago a person from the Office of the President of DIRECTV called me over a different matter and while I was on the phone I questioned them over the return of the HR24 and the fact I never received the label. They told me not to worry about it and they said they don鈥檛 want it back and told me I won鈥檛 be charged for it. So they may or may not tell you to return it.

Hall Of Fame
I just called to cancel service. Started in 1997.
Call took about 5 minutes. Service ends on February 2 at which time I'll get my return instructions. I'll share info on what they want (I have an HS-17 and 3 clients, 2 of which are 4K capable)

Registered
I just called to cancel service. Started in 1997.
Call took about 5 minutes. Service ends on February 2 at which time I'll get my return instructions. I'll share info on what they want (I have an HS-17 and 3 clients, 2 of which are 4K capable)
I've been with them a year longer and disconnect was today. They never tried to keep me as a customer. Not one word. And today I get the email below. Almost makes you think they are going out of business sometime soon.

Regrettably, your DIRECTV service was disconnected on 1/16/2023. In approximately 7 days, you'll receive a bill. If your service was cancelled before the end of your agreement period, you will see an Early Cancellation Fee on that bill.
You can always pay your current outstanding balance online when you sign in to your account. If you have a credit balance, you'll receive a refund check within 6 weeks.
If your circumstances have changed and you would like to stay with the best in video entertainment, simply give us a call at 800.531.5000.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts