DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to say this for Dish. They have some amazing technology. I just stepped out the front door of the house and there was a FedEx envelope for me from Dish. It contained my new smart card for my 508 receiver. I ripped the string off the envelope to open it and pulled the envelope out of the FedEx envelope. I ripped the enclosed envelope open and pulled out the contents. Before I could start to read it my phone rang. It was a message from Dish stating that my new card will arrive any day now. How did they know that I just opened the envelope??? I didn't even get to read the letter or look at the card. How did they do this????? I bet Directv doesn't have a psychic system like this. ;)

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That could be. FedEx drops it off and the message goes back to them that it was delivered. They notify Dish in batches (or Dish follows tracking in batches). A phone call is generated when the tracking shows it delivered. I was just lucky to pick it up as the phone call was generated. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket today... .then again, maybe not.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,561 Posts
The cards are coming by FedEx? Now I'll have to start rummaging around in the bushes. FedEx uses a subcontractor up here who is about as reliable as a Dish subcontractor's subcontractor.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
dishrich said:
Maybe 'cause D* doesn't have to change it's cards every couple years... :p
During the period I was with D* they changed their cards twice.

And we all know the current E* was at least partly caused by Industrial Sabotage. And paid for by ..., well we can argue over who won that case.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
DISH is clearly part of the Big Brother program!

These new cards are clearly humanosensitive! When you touched the card, it sent a signal to DISH and they knew...

I bet they can watch us as we watch TV! I guess I should spend more time in front of the TV nekkid! That'll teach 'em!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
dmspen said:
I bet they can watch us as we watch TV! I guess I should spend more time in front of the TV nekkid! That'll teach 'em!
My late grandmother believed that the people on TV could see her and thus she would dress appropriately. Wouldn't want Arthur Godfrey to see her at other than her best. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
tnsprin said:
During the period I was with D* they changed their cards twice.

And we all know the current E* was at least partly caused by Industrial Sabotage. And paid for by ..., well we can argue over who won that case.
Directv hasn't had a card swap since late 2003-early 2004. They have released newer versions along the way but haven't had the need to swap them out.

Back when I had Dishnet, my receivers didn't have removable smart cards so I didn't have anything to swap out. :D

·
Hall Of Fame
21,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dbconsultant said:
Ditto here. And no phone call. And no channel 998 to watch the demo (good thing I figured it out, huh?:lol: ).

Richard, you must be special!
:icon_da:
Either that or they think that I couldn't handle this without a reminder. ;)

·
Super Moderator
53,483 Posts
Richard King said:
Either that or they think that I couldn't handle this without a reminder. ;)
Perhaps. I got no call that I know of (unless the system refuses to leave voicemails).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.