DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big Round 6ft dish mounted on 10ft pole,buried 4 ft in ground,with 10 lbs of cement, never lost elect,nor directv, (either due to 60 mile wide hurrican eye that allowed directv signal to get through or MUST be one heck of a strong signal being ut out )
=============================
notice channels 380,381,383 are test channels any idea what will be shown on these channels?

· Legend
152 Posts
At our house in West Houston, the winds from Ike were primarily from the North. Our house faces North with the Slimline dish on the South side of the roof. We were one of the VERY few in Houston that did not lose power, and our dish stayed in alignment. I was up at 3am when the storm was at its worst, but didn't turn on any of my TVs with Directv on them.

· Godfather
693 Posts
No hurricane here just TS Hanna. We had a few drop outs but nothing long term. I have my Slimline mounted in a very large flower pot with 240lbs of concrete in it. The whole thing only stands about 3 1/2 ft off the ground. If the winds are ever strong enough to move that, my house would be in big trouble.

2 Posts
I live in Midtown Houston(1 mile south of downtown) in a 3 story townhouse. My slimline is on the roof and did not get out of alignment. I was happily surprised. Power went out about 4 am Saturday morning and returned 1 am Tuesday morning. My neighbor's slimline went out of alignment but I have a 40 ft ladder and aligned it back this morning. Note that installer did not use any monopoles for my neighbor's dish. My next door neighbors Dish500 dish is hanging on the roof by the cables. Looks like I will be helping him out as well.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
igaitan said:
I live in Midtown Houston(1 mile south of downtown) in a 3 story townhouse. My slimline is on the roof and did not get out of alignment. I was happily surprised. Power went out about 4 am Saturday morning and returned 1 am Tuesday morning. My neighbor's slimline went out of alignment but I have a 40 ft ladder and aligned it back this morning. Note that installer did not use any monopoles for my neighbor's dish. My next door neighbors Dish500 dish is hanging on the roof by the cables. Looks like I will be helping him out as well.
By referring him to D*, no doubt? :)

· Legend
134 Posts
igaitan said:
I live very near igaitan in a similar 3 story townhome. My slimline is still on my roof but needs to be repointed. I regained power after Ike on Saturday afternoon by the grace of God. Some of my signals are very weak. For instance, I can not pull in ESPN at ch. 206 as it gives me a no signal error message. The other thing I noticed is that the Sunday Ticket SuperFan HD telecasts were very spotty and weak. DirecTV gave a date of October 4 to come and repoint my dish. I am getting a guy I found on Craigslist to do it tonight because I want to make sure I have my HD NFL Sunday Ticket games. Watching them on SD last weekend sucked. Oh, go Texans beat those friggin Titans and give us a shot in the arm please.

Finally, I know that there are a lot of complaints about DirecTV but I am very happy to have their service. I have Comcast for internet and they are still out. At least, I am able to still watch TV. If I was with Comcrap I would be out TV and internet.

· Godfather
732 Posts
A few weeks back we had Hanna blow through. Max wind 37mph. Slimline mounted southeast corner of house. Most of the winds (pre-storm) were from the NE then shifted around to the NW. Slimline held its own. No signal lost, fade or problems with signal strength since. My installer (back in March) did a great job.

Thank you:)

· Legend
121 Posts
The hurricane didn't affect our D* in the least... ;)

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
North Little Rock, AR

Sustained 37, Gusts to 51... Sidecar 5 lnb solid, 10' mesh solid, 6' Steel moved about 2 degrees off but still tracked.

Lost HD channels 4 times for 5 to 10 minutes each as feeder bands swept through (we had 5 confirmed F0/F1 tornados pop out of those bands). Never lost KU.

· Legend
115 Posts
My DirecTV Slimline INSTALL occurred last Friday when Ike was directly South of my home about 200 miles, we had gusts to about 70 mph, luckily, since my install was on a pre existing pole it was not an issue just windy as all get out, never lost signal once, after he zoomed in on the signal with his Accutrac, even when we had an occasional shower, not even rain fade. :)

· AllStar
127 Posts
Believe or not, here in Cincinnati we got hit pretty hard by what was left of Ike. Many people have lost electricity for 3-4 days. At one point on Sunday, basically the whole city was out.

I got my power back within 2 hours. I immediately fired up my HR21 and watched what was left of the day on Sunday Ticket. No problems -- the dish stayed in perfect alignment despite 75 MPH gusts.

Meanwhile, Time Warner has been out for 3 days. Since they have successfully sold a lot of phone service with it, people are complaining bitterly. No cable, no phone -- even after getting power back.

I've very happy with D*.

· Registered
631 Posts
We had very high sustained winds here in Louiville and as of today there are over 100 thousand without power. I have a ups and never lost Direct TV. I did loose part of my roof. I am now one of those with blue tarp on top:eek2: But, never lost Direct TV. I lost cable internet for about an hour. I was and am very lucky.

· Cool Member
12 Posts
As a side note, while our power was still out, was able to record the season ender of the Closer Monday night with the UPS and only the HR20-100 plugged in. Gave the HR20 about 5 min to power up & do its startup then punched in the channel and hit record. The UPS only had about a min left when the show was over. Was going to ask the neighbor if I could recharge the UPS on his generator but we got power back the next day.

· Icon
1,029 Posts
We're up in Spring and lost power around 10:30 Friday night. Up to that point, the slimline dish was still going strong. Once Ike passed and our neighbor fired up his generator on Saturday afternoon, we were back in business. The folks around us with Comcast are still out and so are the folks using Comcast for their digital phones. Thankfully, we got power last night around 8PM.

· Hall Of Fame
2,208 Posts
hurricane ike passed us by. but hurricane dolly did damage my roof but never touched my slimline still reading in the 90s.

· Icon
609 Posts
Here in NW Arkansas, we had very strong straight line winds from the north, and trees like this were down all over the county. This one was a few hundred yards from my property.

Power was out for over 42 hours, but when it was restored, D* work just like before (DVR hiccups and all). Signal strength is unchanged.

Friends in town are still without coxcable, and may be out for up to a week. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.