DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
I don't have all your answers, but...
SWiM is a single coax solution that uses splitters to feed multiple receivers.
Since you're not exceeding 8 tuners, you'll get a SWiM dish.
DECA is a RF networking over coax which are part of the HR34 & HR24.
You'll be able to watch programs from any location, but there isn't any "transferring" between DVRs. Streaming may have been what you meant, but all recordings stay on the DVR they were recording on, and these are simple the server to other receivers/TVs
Not fully up to speed on the RVU TV aspect, so others that are will need to post.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
As for 5.1... I think so but I honestly don't know. The Samsung TVs support HDMI-ARC so if your AV receiver does as well you could feed that in and it would probably work. The AV Receiver in the same room as my Samsung TV does not support HDMI-ARC and the Samsung TVs only put out 2.0 audio over their digital audio out.

Did I get everything?
Samsung's website is suggesting ARC will only do this from the TV tuner.
My Sony's optical is like this too, where it doesn't pass 5.1 from a HDMI input.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
NR4P said:
Just tried this on my Sony LED TV.
HR24 feeds Sony TV with HDMI. Also has an optical line to Sony Receiver (older model, no HDMI inputs).

Sony TV output feeds Sony Receiver via Optical only.

I can switch inputs on the Sony Receiver between the HR24 optical and Sony TV optical out and get 5.1 either way.

If this is "synthetic", how would I know?
The Sony AVR should scroll in the display what the signal is after you change inputs.
My very old Sony has a blue light for 5.1, while my Sony XBR2 doesn't output anything over optical, if it changed from the tuner to a HDMI input.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
NR4P said:
I wasn't clear, my bad.
When I do the test, in both cases I do get the Blue Light and it does display Dolby Digital 3/2. Even with the HR24 to the TV, and TV optical to the Sony Receiver.

I trust that to be actual DD 5.1, not Simulated.
Since that is the input signal, you can "trust" that.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
drx792 said:
My only other explanation is that it can magically strip audio from the HDMI cable (which would make sense, but I don't believe that can happen due to HDCP).
I had a Sony AVR with HDMI for some testing, and it would "strip" the 5.1 off the HDMI once I found the right setting in their [stupid] menu.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
drx792 said:
If receivers can do this I don't see why HDMI-ARCs even exist then...
"So far" its only use seems to be for the TV tuner output back to the AVR.
"It seems" the AVR is to be the control center, so ARC would mean all HDMI [single cables from each device] connect to the AVR, thus removing/reducing the cabling from earlier types.

For ARC to be "what it should" the TV makers need to include all the inputs to the TV to work with it. RVU and internet becoming part of the TVs means the makers need to have all of these work with ARC.

·
Premium Member
42,754 Posts
drx792 said:
Gotcha, I guess I'll be experiencing to see what my units are actually doing. (sorry I sent us off topic with this)
Every year the makers need to find some reason why we "must" go buy their new hardware.
HDMI 1.4 is starting to be exploited to control various devices. "press one button" and your blu-ray player powers up as you've selected the input on your AVR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.