DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Icon
773 Posts
I find it very odd that there are TVs that don't pass 5.1 on the optical out. I have 4 TVs and have never encountered this. 2 samsungs from 2006 and 2 songs from 2010 pass through whatever signal is sent in over HDMI regardless of its encoding too.

Limiting this ability to the tuner input also makes no sense to me.

·
Icon
773 Posts
My input signal on the AVR shows Dolby Digital 5.1 for my HR20 and will show DTS Master HD or Dolby HD from my blu-ray player. This is from a 2006 Samsung DLP Optical Out.

My other Sony shows up as 3/2 Dolby Digital on my other AVR, but this is an older one and for blu-ray passes PCM (its decoded at the PS3).

I'm assuming by "synthetic" 5.1 everyone is referring to ProLogic II encoding right? Cause my AVR will switch to that when I am watching an SD show or show that is 2.0.

EDIT: This all being said, my AVR (Denon 991) seems to be magical. I can only assign Opt1 to one HDMI input. So I have the HR20's input use the TVs Optical Out. Somehow my blu ray player gets set to Coax1 though and will decode the DTS HD from it too. I have no coax inputs in use and just that one Optical In. I'm going to guess that the Optical In 1 and Coax 1 are parallel and the receiver does this because it can't assign an input to multiple outs. My only other explanation is that it can magically strip audio from the HDMI cable (which would make sense, but I don't believe that can happen due to HDCP).

·
Icon
773 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I had a Sony AVR with HDMI for some testing, and it would "strip" the 5.1 off the HDMI once I found the right setting in their [stupid] menu.
Interesting, I'll have to read up on that then. Perhaps my Denon AVR does the same and has been ignoring my Digital Input Patch? If receivers can do this I don't see why HDMI-ARCs even exist then...

As for my second AVR, that is a Sony, and I may have stumbled upon a strip setting by accident. You are right, the menu structure on all of these units are ridiculous. Even the ones with on-screen GUIs can be horrid and unorganized.

·
Icon
773 Posts
veryoldschool said:
"So far" its only use seems to be for the TV tuner output back to the AVR.
"It seems" the AVR is to be the control center, so ARC would mean all HDMI [single cables from each device] connect to the AVR, thus removing/reducing the cabling from earlier types.
Gotcha, I guess I'll be experiencing to see what my units are actually doing. (sorry I sent us off topic with this)

·
Icon
773 Posts
veryoldschool said:
Every year the makers need to find some reason why we "must" go buy their new hardware.
HDMI 1.4 is starting to be exploited to control various devices. "press one button" and your blu-ray player powers up as you've selected the input on your AVR.
Yeah I'm used to dealing with marketing like that. I have a live audio and sound design background and can't even count the amount of times that people have tried to get me to replace year old system components because they added something useless in.

I actually use hdmi control with my ps3. It lets me use my TVs remote to control my ps3 rather than buying a Bluetooth remote for it. Granted, this is not a feature I would go out of my way to get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.