DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I copy pgms from HR24-500 to external using a Mac? I've seen the post about using a PC, but haven't seen any about using a Mac to copy programs from internal drive to external drive. My HR24-500 is starting to be squirrely, it locks up sometimes when I power it off and I have to reset it with red button to restart it. Have alot of programs that I want to keep before I have to replace the HDR. I have an external USB drive that I can use to mount bare Sata drives and copy them. I presume the drive has to be NTFS formatted.

Update: base on the first reply, it's obvious I did not explain what I wanted to do. I want to attach an external drive to the HR24-500. I want to transfer the programs recorded on the HR24-500 internal drive to it so that if the internal drive fails I have the programs on the external drive. Can I use a Mac to copy the programs from the HR24-500 internal drive to an external drive that will be connected to the HR24-500?

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
You can't copy bit for bit. Copying to Mac is not different than copying to your VCR or DVD. You need a Video capture software and hardware. El Gato makes some good products for the Mac

·
Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,541 Posts
macnicol said:
How do I copy pgms from HR24-500 to external using a Mac? I've seen the post about using a PC, but haven't seen any about using a Mac to copy programs from internal drive to external drive. My HR24-500 is starting to be squirrely, it locks up sometimes when I power it off and I have to reset it with red button to restart it. Have alot of programs that I want to keep before I have to replace the HDR. I have an external USB drive that I can use to mount bare Sata drives and copy them. I presume the drive has to be NTFS formatted.

Update: base on the first reply, it's obvious I did not explain what I wanted to do. I want to attach an external drive to the HR24-500. I want to transfer the programs recorded on the HR24-500 internal drive to it so that if the internal drive fails I have the programs on the external drive. Can I use a Mac to copy the programs from the HR24-500 internal drive to an external drive that will be connected to the HR24-500?
(you can hit Quote rather than edit your post, makes it a bit easier to follow)

Welcome to DBSTalk!

I've heard of folks making a precise copy of their internal drive, then replacing it with the (almost always larger) drive they copied to. Perhaps someone has made the move you contemplate, but it seems fraught with problems. Or potential problems!

You might be better off getting a Genie and whole home service, then putting all new recordings on it, and watching down the '24, then returning it. Or what Peds said, or getting a GenieGo.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
Copying a drive bit by bit to another drive wont work on another DVR. The recordings from a DVR are encrypted to that specific DVR (OTA is the exception) and wont played on a replacement DVR.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,434 Posts
macnicol said:
It doesn't really matter what OS you're using. The most straightforward way (where a Mac is involved) is to use two USB hard drive adapters and use imaging software to copy everything across.

If you have only one adapter, you'll have to image the DVR drive to files on the computer's hard drive and then swap in the new drive and put the image on it.

The only part that changes from one OS to the next is the imaging software and how you set up to access the drives. The nice part about doing this on hardware platforms other than Macs is that you may have ready access to available SATA ports and you don't have to deal with USB adapters.

Neither NTFS, FAT32 nor HFS are involved.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,434 Posts
peds48 said:
Copying a drive bit by bit to another drive wont work on another DVR.
It appears that the TS seeks only to replace the failing internal drive, not move or copy it to another DVR.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
harsh said:
It appears that the TS seeks only to replace the failing internal drive, not move or copy it to another DVR.
After the OP was updated, it was not clear back then. the OP said replaced "HDR", that could be DVR, or HDD. Now we know

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
macnicol said:

I believe it is actually a realtime XFS filesystem, it is definitely not NTFS. You will need Linux if you want to mount it, but there's not much useful you can do with it if you did since it is encrypted by the DVR. If you just want to copy bit for bit, you can do it from the shell on your Mac using 'dd':

sudo dd if=/dev/<device name of old drive> of=/dev/<device name of new drive> bs=1024k
The new drive has to be at least as large as the old one - beware "equivalently" sized drives, one 1 TB drive may be slightly smaller than another 1 TB drive, even from the same vendor! I'm not sure whether you can extend the filesystem for the DVR to recognize a larger drive, someone who has experience with that will have to comment, but if it requires extending the XFS filesystem I'd strongly advise using a Linux Live CD to perform that task even if there are XFS drivers available for OS X.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
RunnerFL said:
Can't use that to go to a bigger drive though. A cloner clones the exact size of the original. For instance you clone the 1TB original to a 2TB new drive, you only get 1TB usable on the new drive.
install the new 2TB drve in the HR and boot it (till) TV comes on -then remove and do it

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
peds48 said:
Copying a drive bit by bit to another drive wont work on another DVR. The recordings from a DVR are encrypted to that specific DVR (OTA is the exception) and wont played on a replacement DVR.
Wish I had a buck for every time a post like this has been written. We oughta have a button we could push to put the above message in a post, just to save us some time.

Rich

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,434 Posts
Rich said:
Wish I had a buck for every time a post like this has been written.
I wish I had a buck for every DIRECTV HD DVR user that expressed an interest in backing up their recordings.

Reactions: lschwarcz

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
WestDC said:
Whatever you say -LOL!
If it's doing something else then it is not a "clone" by definition fo the word. Every "cloner" I've used, plenty, only has the ability to make a drive the same size as itself. None have the ability to think for themselves... It's a standalone cloner, no software.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.