DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me stupid, but for the life of me I cannot find instructions on how I can schedule the HR20 to TUNE to a certain channel in the future, like say 30 minutes from now or at a specific time when a show starts in a different channel.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Icon
545 Posts
gpaint said:
Call me stupid, but for the life of me I cannot find instructions on how I can schedule the HR20 to TUNE to a certain channel in the future, like say 30 minutes from now or at a specific time when a show starts in a different channel.

No autotune!!
So I guess you'll have reach for the remote and just change the channel!

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
gpaint said:

There is no feature for this. I've asked several times. Things work like this (so you can trick it, or force it to do something like what you want):

There are no dual buffers in the HR20, so you can't "switch between viewing them" as such.

When you tell the HR20 to record (the first show you choose in a given time slot) that show is recorded from the BACKGROUND tuner, i.e., you can't see what you are recording. Now, if you select another show that starts after or at the same time as the first show, that show will be recorded from the foreground tuner.

So, to get the HR20 to "tune to" a specific channel at a specific time so you can "see" it (and it will appear on the other video out connectors for recording to a VCR or DVD recorder), first set up a recording you don't care at all about in the desired time slot (it must start recording BEFORE the next step), then set up a recording for the channel you want to "tune to"...the first recording goes to the background, the 2nd recording goes to the foreground and you can see it.

There is also a similar game you can play to switch between the two...that is listed in the Unofficial Tips and Tricks you will see posted in these threads.

·
Icon
1,565 Posts
gpaint said:

You don't. The whole point of a DVR is to watch shows on your schedule rather then when they come on live. Set your HR20 to record the shows you want to watch then watch them whenever you want to. I have been using DVR's in various forms now for about 6 years. It has gotten to the point that I don't even know, or even care anymore, when most of the shows that I watch on a regular basis are actually broadcast. Except for sports which I still like to watch live.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
49 Posts
OK that may be "the whole point" of a DVR but just like you said some things need to be watched live (like sports). I like to wake up to the news on a certain channel w/ my TV as my alarm. I could setup multiple recordings to try to trick it, but all in all it would be a nice feature to have so that @ 5am when my TV comes on, the DVR is "watching" the local news.

·
Godfather
340 Posts
gpaint said:

You can. Press "list". Then press the "yellow" button to bring up your ToDo list. On the left side move down and select "Manual". From there you can set up which channel, what time and how long you want it to record.:)

·
I used to be a rocket scientist
12,182 Posts
I could setup multiple recordings to try to trick it, but all in all it would be a nice feature to have so that @ 5am when my TV comes on, the DVR is "watching" the local news.
Why is this complicated? Just set up a Series Link for whatever morning news show you like to watch. Voila.

Is there something I'm missing here? :confused:

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I wish it had this feature because I look thru the guide at the end of a program (2 or 3 minutes early) to find next thing to watch.. sucks that I have to wait to tune next program.. should be easy to make it go 'tune' 'record' 'series record'....

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
LameLefty said:
Why is this complicated? Just set up a Series Link for whatever morning news show you like to watch. Voila.

Is there something I'm missing here? :confused:
Yes. When you tell the HR20 to record it does not switch to the channel in the foreground, it switches the background tuner. Only if you deliberately have the background tuner busy, will the foreground tuner be available to view, and you have to tell it to record too. It's quite CLUNKY.

There should be a "tune to" function to accomplish this simple task: tune to channel x at the following time/date. This is for "viewing" NOT recording. It would also be quite nice to have this to be able to dub a live recording (simultaneously) from the HR20 to an external device like a DVD recorder. As it sits now, I have to record to the HR20, then play the damn thing back to get video out from the HR20 to the DVD recorder.

My wife goes on the road and takes dvds with her. I have to make them. So, I have to record them, then play them back to get them to the dvd recorder. If we had a "tune to" function, I wouldn't have to do anything extra...just tell the dvd recorder when to start recording from its external input.

My only other option is this silly scenario of setting up two recordings in the right order to force the show I'm interested in into the foreground so it can be recorded "live". It's just plain silly. Dual buffers would permit this, but I'm not even asking for that. Just a "dumb" tune to channel x at date/time. Nothing could be simpler. (although you'd have to work it into the record conflict management)

·
Legend
101 Posts
gpaint said:

Just schedule it to record the show, then watch the recording almost live.

Seems to me that it would take more effort to schedule the unit to change to a channel at a certain time, than to just punch the number on the remote....:confused:

--Mike

·
Cool Member
14 Posts
Just tune your box to the channel your news is on the night before. Unless you are recording two shows at the same time while you are sleeping, it will be on the same channel in the morning. Some times the simple way is the easiest way...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.