DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Godfather
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This subject may have been discussed before and I'm sure I could search the internet for answers, but many of you already have the answers.

For discussion purposes let's take a local Fox station and call it Fox6. I know FOX6 produces a lot of it's own programming (news, weather etc) and receives network programming from a Fox satellite. Fox6 then transmits it's SD analog signal to the local market. Now DISH picks up the local market for DBS delivery.

How does the Fox6 analog SD signal get to the DISH DBS satellite (110 degrees)?

Does the signal get transmitted via non-DBS satellite from Fox6 to DISH's ground processing center who then converts it to digital and re-transmits it to DBS-110?

Or, does Fox6 convert the signal to digital and transmit it directly to the DBS-110?

Or, some combination of the above. Who does the analog/digital conversion for SD transmissions? How does that signal get from Fox6 to the DBS?

On my 622 I watched Fox6 in PIP mode with my OTA providing one Fox6 and DISH Fox6 the other. Side-by-side you can see the OTA is about 3 seconds ahead of the DISH signal, which is partly caused by roundtrips to satellites.

Now, same question for digital (HD) signals from Fox6. We know Fox6 originates digital signals and transmits them to the local OTA market. How does the signal get from Fox6 to DISH for DBS transmission?

It seems that a lot of transponders and bandwidth will be used if a local station can not transmit their signals directly to a DBS without passing thru a DISH ground station.

Thanks

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
I'll do this for DirecTV, since the information is a bit easier to find.

Within each local market DirecTV and Dish Network rent a site to collect all of the local channel signals. I believe the term used for Dish Network is called a POP, or point-of-presence. DirecTV calls theirs Local Receive Facilities, or LRFs. This link is DirecTV's addresses for each LRF within each market.

From these LRFs the signal is digitized and sent to the broadcast center. This is done mainly through a dark fibre network. Once at the appropriate broadcast center, the local channels are then beamed up to the satellite and bounced back down to consumers.

·
Super Moderator
53,900 Posts
It is the same for Dish. There are a couple of markets where satellite is used to "backhaul" the programs to an Echostar uplink center for rebroadcast, but E*'s and D*'s uplinks to the DBS satellites ONLY come from their uplink centers. Individual stations do not uplink their own signals directly to E* or D*'s service.

For Dish the primary uplink centers are in Colorado and Arizona with locals on 110° also being uplinked from four other sites in Washington, Texas, Virginia and Illinois.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,918 Posts
Ah. Good point, James.

For DirecTV, most of the local channels are rebroadcast out of the Los Angeles Broadcast Center or the Castle Rock Broadcast Center. DirecTV also uses uplink sites in Minnesota and Virginia for some of the local channels that are on the DirecTV 7S satellite at the 119 slot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.