DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Legend
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, the vast majority of HR20 users don't read this forum. How do they know what the updates do? I've had the latest update for several days and only just learned on another thread that we have 4XFF now.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Icon
731 Posts
It's unreal isn't it. Considering the millions and millions of D* subscribers.. us thousand that fequent this forum are like GURU'S compared to the average Joe. Most people don't even know what a forum is much less that there's one for sat TV.

·
Banned
614 Posts
bonscott87 said:
How do Windows users know that IE7 is out? How many would even know they got IE7 installed automatically? :D ;)
Unless users of prior editions of IE download IE7 it will not install itself like an update in the background as do certain security updates. If you even have enabled autoupdates.

·
Legend
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slyster said:
It's unreal isn't it. Considering the millions and millions of D* subscribers.. us thousand that fequent this forum are like GURU'S compared to the average Joe. Most people don't even know what a forum is much less that there's one for sat TV.
Do you have a bass boat?

·
Legend
105 Posts
My wife is finding this stuff w/o me having to tell her. After the 0xFF update she discovered 4XFF all on her own. The more subtle things like the Trick Play tricks, no idea. That is a big negative for me. I had to come here to find out half of the functionality of the HR20 AFTER I piled through their doc.

Z

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
JerryShain said:
Obviously, the vast majority of HR20 users don't read this forum. How do they know what the updates do? I've had the latest update for several days and only just learned on another thread that we have 4XFF now.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Ah, based on your question, you actulay think that D* might give a rats ass about their customers.

IMO D* takes a very arrogent position, they refuse to proactivly commuincate, provides CSR that lack a basic understanding of what D* is doing and the products they are selling, and the customer is left to sort out any issues, changes ect.

The least they could do is put an announchment/message on the box describing what changes have happened and addressing fixes and new functinoality.

For those of us who have registerd on their web site, they know my equipment and email address. in pusodo code: select customers where STB = HR20 | send mail about update and changes.

How nice would that be? Think of the goodwill it would create.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
JerryShain said:
Ah, based on your question, you actually think that D* might give a rats ass about their customers.

IMO D* takes a very arrogant position, they refuse to proactive communicate, provides CSR that lack a basic understanding of what D* is doing and the products they are selling, and the customer is left to sort out any issues, changes ect.

The least they could do is put an announcement/message on the box describing what changes have happened and addressing fixes and new functionality.

For those of us who have registered on their web site, they know my equipment and email address. in pseudo code: select customers where STB = HR20 | send mail about update and changes.

How nice would that be? Think of the goodwill it would create.

·
Legend
115 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
Unless users of prior editions of IE download IE7 it will not install itself like an update in the background as do certain security updates. If you even have enabled autoupdates.
Thats true right now....wait until the end of the year when they're planning to make it part of WU as a critical

·
Legend
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slyster said:
My first love is bass fishing! Have boat.
I have a Ranger Bass boat that I store at Lake Mead. Don't mock me, we just fish for strippers though.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
It is going to be a critical update if it isn't already. They plan to do 1% of XP users every day.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
Look, I don't excuse DirecTV for not telling people but no other company does. Does your cable company inform you of new "features" or Dish? No. And frankly what kind of communication do you want? A post card to go out every single time they add a new feature to a receiver? Problem is most people wouldn't understand and call in, overloading the already overloaded CSR's.

I work in IT for a very large company. When new features are rolled out for software we typically have a web page up with the announcement as well as send email out to everyone. How many people actually read any of this? Basically none. Calls get generated to the help desk. Fun, fun.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,914 Posts
I think there should be a message on the HR20 that there's been an update and for more informaton go to dbstalk to read Earl's posted release notes and software build discussion thread.:)

·
Legend
181 Posts
mikeny said:
I think there should be a message on the HR20 that there's been an update and for more informaton go to dbstalk to read Earl's posted release notes and software build discussion thread.:)
Absolutely, though why don't D* post release notes on their own site?

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
At least D* hasn't compleatly changed every menu setup like IE7.... I uninstaled IE7 10 minutes after the update...:((

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.