DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two DVRs, HR21 and HR23. While troubleshooting possible hardware problems I was asked to verify the LNB dish type was correct. Well I'm now trying to change the dish type just to check to ensure a different selection might be more correct. Yes, we are looking at a possible software issue or LNB hardware issue not being sensed correctly. So lets pretend the LNB is just not being sensed correctly.

While in my setup screen I can see the dish type (SL3S) SWM but it is not selectable for change. The only thing I can change is single/dual tuners.

Is there a manual way to change the dish type?

Thank You,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
If you go into setup, settings, satellite, and select "Repeat Satellite Setup" you will be able to select the dish/LNB type. However, it will serve no purpose to change it from what you actually have (and will cause problems).

Look at your dish/LNB. If you have a single "knob" on your LNB, it is a 3-LNB (99, 101, 103). If you have 3 "knobs", you have a 5-LNB. Set your dish/LNB type accordingly. Both of your units should be (must be) set the same to work properly.

As to "SWiM" or "Multiswitch", don't change that (even if it lets you, it might not).

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
SWiM LNB's are auto detected by the receiver the only thing selectable is single or dual tuner.

SWiM 8 and 16 multi switches are auto detected by the receiver, lnb type is selectable.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the single LNB, a SL3S according to the receiver. It is not changeable as is. I was hoping for some way to try another setting as part of this long troubleshooting effort. Is there a backdoor way to force a change? A trick like maybe disconnecting the coax? I don't know. I'll try something later today when I get home from work but if there is an idea, I'm listening.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
Joe Schmuck said:
I have the single LNB, a SL35 according to the receiver. It is not changeable as is. I was hoping for some way to try another setting as part of this long troubleshooting effort. Is there a backdoor way to force a change? A trick like maybe disconnecting the coax? I don't know. I'll try something later today when I get home from work but if there is an idea, I'm listening.
The SWiM and the receiver communicate during booting.
You could disconnect the SAT feed, then try to redo the SAT setup, but without connecting another LNB that isn't a SWiM, I doubt you'll have much luck. Even if you did, the min you connect to a SWiM, it will revert back to what the SWiM is telling the receiver it is.

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
If the sat input isn't connected there won't be an lnb for it to auto detect.

So yes you can disconnect the sat input go to satellite setup and change the lnb type. Reconnect the sat input, enter the signal strength screen and selecting done when finished will cause the receiver to auto detect your setup again.

Selecting continue wont force another auto detect and you might get stuck.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
samrs said:
SWiM LNB's are auto detected by the receiver the only thing selectable is single or dual tuner.

SWiM 8 and 16 multi switches are auto detected by the receiver, lnb type is selectable.
Okay, I'm using SWM8 and that is how I checked if you could do that. My error, did not realize the receiver knew the difference between LNB SWiM and SWM8 SWiM.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dish setup is completely automatic and it cannot be changed while the coax is connected to the DVR. I can change it to the 5S SWM but once I connect the coax it changes back to the 3S SWM which is the correct model.

So thanks for the help, it did prove that there was only one correct setting and it was being automatically set.

Now if I could just get my DVRs to stop rebooting, but that is another thread.

-Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.