DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard about the AM21's from Direct TV...but I don't know if I'm eligible or not...currently I do not have HD locals from Direct. I don't know if D11 will bring them online or not...

Are the AM21's free for those folks that don't get HD from Direct?
How do you know if you're eligible or not?

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
The AM21's are not typically free unless you have an HR20 replaced with an HR21 and remind them that you used OTA.

Eligibility for AM21's are based on your equipment list. If you have an HR21, you may purchase an AM21 thru DIRECTV. (And with free shipping the last time I looked.)

Otherwise, anyone can purchase an AM21 from independent dealers or retailers.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
You might be able to talk them into a free AM21 if you don't get locals via sat but it is not a sure thing like when you upgrade from an ota capable receiver to a hr21 like from a hr20 or hr10-250. Really the only way to find out is to call and ask. If they won't give you a free one a 50$ one time fee isn't that bad to get your locals in HD.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,951 Posts
Of course they lie through their teeth to you about getting a free one. They promised me one through Retention, but said I had to pay for it first, then I just had to call them and they'd refund me. So I call the CSR, and they tell me they can't do it. I have to go through their supervisor. Then the CSR says they talked to the super, and they'll handle it right away, just not right then. Don't worry, it'll be taken off. Weeks later, they have done NOTHING.

DTV: DON'T TRANSMIT VERACITY

·
Hall Of Fame
3,985 Posts
MudMover,

Welcome to DBSTalk, sir!

You may already aware and I may just stating something needlessly, but the AM21 is an "add on" piece to the HR21 HD DVR (allowing OTA capabilites where the HR21 itself doesn't have it) and is not meant to be a standalone digital OTA receiver.

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JLuc....I did realize that it is an add-on....What I was hoping is that because D* does not provide my HD locals....there would be a "no fee" or "discounted fee" for having to get my HD OTA rather than thru D*. But alas....it seems capitalism is at work here!

And now I read another post...where Huntsville may be out of the running on D11....bummer.

My local NBC affiliate is a low power station...currently at 41kW and upgrading some time from now (according to FCC filings) to 88KW....but that's probably not enough to burn thru this RF shadow I'm currently in. The Analog is poor at best OTA...I may go up on my antenna another 10 ft.

Mainly I was just hoping for the HD signal via the AM21 so I could use the DVR feature too....especially when the fall shows come out.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
MudMover said:
JLuc....I did realize that it is an add-on....What I was hoping is that because D* does not provide my HD locals....there would be a "no fee" or "discounted fee" for having to get my HD OTA rather than thru D*. But alas....it seems capitalism is at work here!

And now I read another post...where Huntsville may be out of the running on D11....bummer.

My local NBC affiliate is a low power station...currently at 41kW and upgrading some time from now (according to FCC filings) to 88KW....but that's probably not enough to burn thru this RF shadow I'm currently in. The Analog is poor at best OTA...I may go up on my antenna another 10 ft.

Mainly I was just hoping for the HD signal via the AM21 so I could use the DVR feature too....especially when the fall shows come out.
Just a quick history.

The HR20 had OTA built in and was $299.
The HR21 with no OTA is $199. AM21 OTA addon is $50.

So you're saving $50 actually over the older receiver that had OTA built in.

As for if you're eligible, just call and ask. Nobody here can tell you if they will give you a discount say $10 a month off programming for 6 months to offset the cost. You'll have to negotiate that.

Good luck!

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
MudMover said:

Echostar is coming out with an OTA DVR the TR-50.Might be something to check into.For more information on OTA antennas and what you would need check out.
www.antennaweb.org ;)

·
Legend
135 Posts
they gave it to me for free. it took some haggling since the CSR told me (get this!) ALL local channels are going dark in feb. 2009. i couldnt get it thru his thick skull that this wasnt true so had to step it up to to his supervisor and he got it taken care of for be. but as for that CSR....sheesh!

·
Icon
596 Posts
Mine is on the way as well. Now that I look at the details, it doesn't seem like the AM21 was well thought out until after they made the hr21. Would have been much better as an insertable module on the hr21 instead of a full size box sitting on top for no reason at all.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I think it's great. A dongle would probably have stuck out too far. It's a nicely integrated look as is.

·
Icon
597 Posts
Does anyone know if former HR10-250 owners are eligible for an AM-21? I do get all my HD locals except for PBS. If it was relatively cheap (as in free or just shipping) I would probably go for it, otherwise, PBS HD will be here eventually.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,792 Posts
Rob-NovA said:
Does anyone know if former HR10-250 owners are eligible for an AM-21? I do get all my HD locals except for PBS. If it was relatively cheap (as in free or just shipping) I would probably go for it, otherwise, PBS HD will be here eventually.
Do you have the HR21 now?.If so you could call DirecTV and tell them the AM21 wasn't available when you upgraded from the HR10-250.If not when you upgrade to the HR21 you just tell them you need OTA.;)

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jhon69 said:
Do you have the HR21 now?.If so you could call DirecTV and tell them the AM21 wasn't available when you upgraded from the HR10-250.If not when you upgrade to the HR21 you just tell them you need OTA.;)
I'm in exactly that situation. I had a DVR (non-HD) and an HD Receiver per the contract (leased equipment)....then I bought (Best Buy) an HR21 for the new LCD I got in the front room....with the Stimulus Package Check (woo hoo..nice to have MY money back...since I'll probably never see Social Security...but that's another rant).

Now on the HR21...I'd like to get the AM21...since D* doesn't carry my local HD...and I'm having to get them OTA....I'll be calling them this afternoon!

·
Icon
597 Posts
Jhon69 said:
Yes, I got the HR21-700 back in January, before the AM21 was released. I'll give them a shout and see what happens. As I stated above, it's not necessary for me, but another cool toy to play with.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
I think it's great. A dongle would probably have stuck out too far. It's a nicely integrated look as is.
I agree, the distinct box is attractive and does not take up significant room. In addition, in the case of a failure it is a simple swap.

What should not be forgotten is the OTA tuner in the AM21 is measurably superior to that in the HR20-700/100. I know I'm quite pleased with the look and performance of my AM21.

·
Icon
596 Posts
Not sure where people got dongle from insertable module. A module port would take up no additional space, the only footprint would be the coax connector coming out of the back where the module would go. There would also be no additional wire-mess like the AM21 introduces.

Irregardless of it's looks, I would rather have a HR20 than the HR21/AM21 combo. The HR20 is much faster with OTA tuning, and setting up the local areas was much smoother. The HR20 also crops out most of the VBI portion of the screen, while the HR21/AM21 does not, leaving white squiqqly lines along the top of the screen.

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
shenefie said:
they gave it to me for free. it took some haggling since the CSR told me (get this!) ALL local channels are going dark in feb. 2009. i couldnt get it thru his thick skull that this wasnt true so had to step it up to to his supervisor and he got it taken care of for be. but as for that CSR....sheesh!
How in the world did you get it for free? The CSR I talked with wouldn't budge. Not saying it was a bad deal or anything....but if I can get something for free....Hey...it's free.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.