DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what everyone else does. It wouldn't be a problem for me this weekend since the Bills have bye, but I normally watch the Bills and Bengals games and they usually both start at the same time.

What I normally do is start one late and then I'll usually watch a few series and then switch to the other. I would probably just watch one and then the other, but I can't watch a game after hearing the score, so this minimizes the risk. I also put post it notes on the screen so I don't see the score on the ticker at the bottom. I used to put electrical tape on my CRT, but I'm afraid on my LCD RP, so I use the post it's because they aren't very sticky.

So what do you guys do?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
614 Posts
mtnagel said:
Just curious what everyone else does. It wouldn't be a problem for me this weekend since the Bills have bye, but I normally watch the Bills and Bengals games and they usually both start at the same time.

What I normally do is start one late and then I'll usually watch a few series and then switch to the other. I would probably just watch one and then the other, but I can't watch a game after hearing the score, so this minimizes the risk. I also put post it notes on the screen so I don't see the score on the ticker at the bottom. I used to put electrical tape on my CRT, but I'm afraid on my LCD RP, so I use the post it's because they aren't very sticky.

So what do you guys do?
Get a DVR with 2 tuners so you can record 2 games at once, and replay and watch when you can.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cybrsurfer said:
Get a DVR with 2 tuners so you can record 2 games at once, and replay and watch when you can.
Um. Did you see that you are in the HR20 forum? And the HR20 has 2 tuners. ;)

Yes, I record both games, but if I watch one, then I'll see the score for the other, which means I can't watch the other. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the OP.
 

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
Joined
·
9,882 Posts
mtnagel said:
Um. Did you see that you are in the HR20 forum? And the HR20 has 2 tuners. ;)

Yes, I record both games, but if I watch one, then I'll see the score for the other, which means I can't watch the other. Sorry if that wasn't clear in the OP.
There isn't much you can do unless you put some colored tape over the score bar up top corner and mute/look away if they show highlights.
 

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
mtnagel said:
How do you watch two football games at the same time and not hear the score?
Click into this thread to see the UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips & Tricks:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67933

This is on page 3 under WATCH TWO SHOWS AT ONCE. Basically you set up your HR2- to record both shows and follow the steps. The best part is that you will leave each show where you stopped watching. When you come back it will be at the same spot patiently waiting for you.

This is using the Dual Live Buffers Feature that you hear people asking for. You already have them if you know the trick.

- Craig
"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key"
- Henley/Frey
See the: UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips and Tricks
HR-20 Installation and Initial Setup Tips
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Milominderbinder2 said:
Click into this thread to see the UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips & Tricks:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=67933

This is on page 3 under WATCH TWO SHOWS AT ONCE. Basically you set up your HR2- to record both shows and follow the steps. The best part is that you will leave each show where you stopped watching. When you come back it will be at the same spot patiently waiting for you.

This is using the Dual Live Buffers Feature that you hear people asking for. You already have them if you know the trick.

- Craig

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
. . . . And we never even know we have the key" - Henley/Frey
See the: UNOFFICIAL HR-20 Tips and Tricks
. . . . . . . HR-20 Installation and Initial Setup Tips
It's not like watching 2 sitcoms at once though. They say the score on the one game for the other. I guess you guys except for bonscott are missing my point.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
423 Posts
mtnagel said:
It's not like watching 2 sitcoms at once though. They say the score on the one game for the other. I guess you guys except for bonscott are missing my point.
It may work if you switch between the 2 games frequently like after every play, keeping the time into both recording about the same. But it probably isn't much fun doing that many switchovers.
 

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
Joined
·
4,107 Posts
mtnagel said:
It's not like watching 2 sitcoms at once though. They say the score on the one game for the other. I guess you guys except for bonscott are missing my point.
OK, now I get it. You don't want the two TV stations to broadcast the scores of other games in the crawl at the bottom of the screen.

The classic answer would be duct tape...

Howard Hughes had a similar problem and bought the station. :)

What I wish it could do would be to show the two games side-by-side as a picture in picture. Let me move back and forth to select the audio. We can kind of do that with channel 104 provided your games are two of the 8 it will be showing.

Take care,

Craig
 

· Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,244 Posts
On my big TVs, I would unroll some TP so i could tape it on the back of the TVs and not mess up the screens. On the little ones, i could usually drape something from the top or put something in front from below depending on if the crawl was up high (Fox) or down low (everyone else)...

And its good for a laugh...

Cheers,
Tom
 

· Legend
Joined
·
146 Posts
toy4two said:
Buy a TIVO. That feature isn't available on the HR20.
...and it IS on a TiVo?????????????????????

Wow, I've had TiVo for seven years and I didn't know it was magically able to remove all instances of other game scores while I'm watching. Do tell us how it achieves this.

 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,642 Posts
Guindalf said:
...and it IS on a TiVo?????????????????????

Wow, I've had TiVo for seven years and I didn't know it was magically able to remove all instances of other game scores while I'm watching. Do tell us how it achieves this.

Dual live buffers are available on Tivos. With proper trick play management the only scores you would possibly see is if a score is made in the other game during the point you're watching a second.

It's simple. I watch one of two games until the next commercial. I hit Pause on game 1, press LiveTV and hit Play and some 30 second skips on game 2. Come the next commercial I press Pause on game 2, press LiveTV and hit play on game 1. A couple of 30 second skips later and I'm watching game 1. Keep that up and you can pretty much watch two complete games in the time one airs.

Sure there's a chance you may see something or they do a Game Break to show a score. But other than taping across your brand new 55" HDTV this is one of the best methods to minimize that chance.

A huge reason I cannot understand how DTV made a conscious decision to design the R15/HR20 without dual live buffers.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wolffpack said:
Dual live buffers are available on Tivos. With proper trick play management the only scores you would possibly see is if a score is made in the other game during the point you're watching a second.
Yeah, because that never happens. If I'm watching a game and I see the score change for the other game on the score ticker (for some reason I just can't not see it), then that ruins it for me. When I switch over to the other game, I'm just waiting for the score to happen. I want to be surprised; not know that a score is coming up.

Wolffpack said:
It's simple. I watch one of two games until the next commercial. I hit Pause on game 1, press LiveTV and hit Play and some 30 second skips on game 2. Come the next commercial I press Pause on game 2, press LiveTV and hit play on game 1. A couple of 30 second skips later and I'm watching game 1. Keep that up and you can pretty much watch two complete games in the time one airs.
I've done that and to me it kind of breaks up the flow of a game too much. It's just too much switching back and forth. But that's just me. If that's how you want to do it, go ahead.

Wolffpack said:
Sure there's a chance you may see something or they do a Game Break to show a score. But other than taping across your brand new 55" HDTV this is one of the best methods to minimize that chance.

A huge reason I cannot understand how DTV made a conscious decision to design the R15/HR20 without dual live buffers.
I just don't really get the big deal without the dual buffers. I just record both games. To start watching the first, hit List and highlight the first game and press play. When I want to switch to the other, just hit stop and that takes you to the list and then you highlight the second game and press play. Yes, it's maybe a click or two more than the pause/down arrow on a TiVo and definitely not as elegant, but it works. I just don't understand why everyone is so upset about the lack of dual buffers. Yes, you have to record the two games, but who cares? I guess if you were running low on space it might be an issue.
 

· Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
I don't have D*, but on my SA 8300HD DVR, the "Zoom 1" option hides the bottom
scroll line where the running scores of other games appear. Only problem is that also
masks most or all of the top graphic with current game data. It's a simple solution, until
they cut to the NY sports desk between almost every play when the motormouth ex-jocks
call audibles on the latest score updates which, IMO, occurs all too often.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
mtnagel said:
I just don't really get the big deal without the dual buffers. I just record both games. To start watching the first, hit List and highlight the first game and press play. When I want to switch to the other, just hit stop and that takes you to the list and then you highlight the second game and press play. Yes, it's maybe a click or two more than the pause/down arrow on a TiVo and definitely not as elegant, but it works. I just don't understand why everyone is so upset about the lack of dual buffers.
AMEN. :D
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top