DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Grouch Extrordinaire
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago after reading about the features of the HR34 here I phoned DirecTV for information and the cost to obtain one. The telephone rep described the equipment I would need and told me a service call would be required. He then said the total cost would be $699 plus tax. I gulped and pointed out I had seen reports of significant discounts available but he said $699 plus tax was the best he could do. I thanked him for his time and declined his offer.

I then came back here and the reports of more acceptable costs continued, so I thought I would try again today. Of course I got a different rep and the offer was less today...$649 plus tax. The rep then took the time to explain that he simply input my needs and DirecTV's "system" then "scored" me as a customer and calculated what offers and discounts I would qualify for and gave him the final price. No ifs, ands or buts. No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Silly me. I thought a 13 year customer paying well over $100 per month for all those years would qualify for some sort of offer. I did. Full price...plus tax. ;)

I'll continue to read with great interest (and envy) about the wonderful deals some are scoring. :nono:

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
Without know your system it sounds like perhaps you need WHDVR as well. The HR34 normal cost is $399, WHDVR is $199 and installation would be $49. The first offer might have had tax included in it or they added a client install to the order.

Every company will have a proprietary algorithm that would not be disclosed. With that said large factors that will impact most companies decision makings are going to be payment history, length of service, level of service, prior discounts given, amount of times calling in, and then other aspects.

·
Grouch Extrordinaire
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shades228 said:
With that said large factors that will impact most companies decision makings are going to be payment history, length of service, level of service, prior discounts given, amount of times calling in, and then other aspects.
That's got to be it. Maybe if I had only been a customer for five instead of thirteen years, missed a payment every once in a while instead of never even being late, no premiums instead of two and only had one DVR instead of four I would look better. ;)

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
I can't talk to the specifics of your account obviously but I can understand that spending that amount of money could be impacting to people. Perhaps you could order the WHDVR upgrade first and then later on get the HR34. Perhaps there's a promotion on WHDVR you might be eligible for but not a HR34 order.

You shouldn't get too discouraged about it because as I stated in another thread there were some events that happened which created offers that customers weren't eligible for. This has since been corrected and so it's not surprising to hear that there isn't a discount available on the HR34. That's not to say that everyone is not eligible for a discount but it isn't like it was.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,487 Posts
With your track record there doesn't appear to be any need to buy your loyalty.

Revenue-wise, you're just an average DIRECTV customer.

As long as you remain unremarkable, they'll offer you unremarkable deals.

·
Godfather
398 Posts
Carl Spock said:
Re: How does DirecTV "score" a customer?

Like anybody else. Buy them dinner, soft lights, maybe a little wine...
You forgot begging.....at least thats what applies to us married guys

:)

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
harsh said:

Spoken like my 6 year old who often states things she thinks are true due to her limited education.

Sorry you don't like that DIRECTV has a solid ARPU but that doesn't negate a customers value if they are at or below that number.

·
Grouch Extrordinaire
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
harsh said:

Thanks for your thoughts. And, your username describes you perfectly. ;)

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,487 Posts
Shades228 said:
Sorry you don't like that DIRECTV has a solid ARPU but that doesn't negate a customers value if they are at or below that number.
I presented the comparison only as a fact and not as some sort of dismissal of the OP, DIRECTV or their scoring system.

It is apparent that the OP thought they were a relative cash cow for DIRECTV.

·
Godfather
398 Posts
Shades228 said:
Spoken like my 6 year old who often states things she thinks are true due to her limited education.

If the OP is unremarkable, I must just not plain exist.

No premiums (ever), never had NFL Ticket, never late on a bill, customer since 2002.

On the third call I was able to get the 149 installed deal that seems common on these forums.

Rather than talking about how little someone may or may not be worth to directv as a customer, we should be talking about why there is such a variance with "deals" overall.....and why its seemingly up to the kind of day the CSR is having that determines if you get a good deal or just kicked to the curb.

I got the best "reception" when I mentioned that i can go on their website as a new customer and get the HR34 for 99.00 installed. I was out of contract, and technically the only way to come back as a new customer would be under someone elses name, but it seems playing hardball like that might help. Ive said it before: I still dont understand why they make it so hard for good customers to come close to deals they hand out everyday to new customers. I know they want to attract new people with those offers, but at the same time they dont care if they keep existing people by offering them something even close?

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
I would suggest that you keep calling, it took me about a week and 4 calls before I got what I considered to be a reasonable offer ($199). I have had D* since 1997 with no premium channels but I have had NFLST since 1997. I got an HR34 and an HR24 to replace 3 SAT T60's. They installed a new Dish (Not in place of the old one which was where I wanted it but at least they installed it) They installed a CCK, I asked them not to but the installer insisted so about a week after the install I removed the CCK and plugged an ethernet cable into the HR34 instead, that worked fine, I didn't even have to reboot anything it just worked. (Thee CCK was $99 with a $99 credit so I didn't argue about it when I placed the order). Main reason was the CCK box was very warm. They even tried to give me a new SD DVR which I had already told them I didn't want, They just did not understand that I was replacing 3 receivers with 2. I guess I needed to tell them that I wanted to deactivate 1 receiver and then upgrade 2.
Well at least now I am upgraded to HD and I have less equipment in the living room because I have 1 HR34 with 5 tuners in place of 2 SAT-T60's that provided 4 tuners. Not having to swap between DVR's is nice.
The old SAT T60's were more reliable than the HR24 and HR34 have been so far but hopefully the issues will get worked out soon.

·
Grouch Extrordinaire
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
harsh said:
I presented the comparison only as a fact and not as some sort of dismissal of the OP, DIRECTV or their scoring system.

It is apparent that the OP thought they were a relative cash cow for DIRECTV.
In your profile you say you are actually a Dish customer. So, on what do you base your DirecTV conclusions and, to you, what would be a "cash cow" qualifying you as a most desired customer?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,487 Posts
Jon J said:
So, on what do you base your DirecTV conclusions and, to you, what would be a "cash cow" qualifying you as a most desired customer?
I base my conclusions on the anecdotal evidence that the OP and others who felt similarly slighted have posted.

I think you're fooling yourself if you believe that being a DIRECTV subscriber grants any greater insight into the elements and their relative weights in the scoring algorithm.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,905 Posts
Jon J said:
A couple of weeks ago after reading about the features of the HR34 here I phoned DirecTV for information and the cost to obtain one. The telephone rep described the equipment I would need and told me a service call would be required. He then said the total cost would be $699 plus tax. I gulped and pointed out I had seen reports of significant discounts available but he said $699 plus tax was the best he could do. I thanked him for his time and declined his offer.

I then came back here and the reports of more acceptable costs continued, so I thought I would try again today. Of course I got a different rep and the offer was less today...$649 plus tax. The rep then took the time to explain that he simply input my needs and DirecTV's "system" then "scored" me as a customer and calculated what offers and discounts I would qualify for and gave him the final price. No ifs, ands or buts. No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Silly me. I thought a 13 year customer paying well over $100 per month for all those years would qualify for some sort of offer. I did. Full price...plus tax. ;)

I'll continue to read with great interest (and envy) about the wonderful deals some are scoring. :nono:
I really have no idea how the scoring works. Although, maybe being a 13 year customer does work against you. Your rating says, stable long term customer, no need to offer this customer a deal.

In my case, I'm only a 3+ year customer. I started having an issue with my HR22 and the technical csr said they needed to send someone on site. I wanted them to send me a swap. Asked her about an HR34 and she said my account would allow her to offer it for $199. Said I think I may just switch providers, can I talk to retention.

Let him know I wasn't happy with the answer I got from the last CSR and have always been taken care of in the past. Explained I just wanted them to ship a replacement, but if they weren't interested in keeping me as a customer, maybe someone else would. Although, since I needed to replace my Hr22, I really like the HR34. And would consider a 2 yr commitment if he could work a deal for me. Without much effort, he said based on your account its $199, but I'll go ahead and give it to you for no charge and waive installation costs. I mentioned all this, because it may take going to retention, letting them know how you feel and asking for a better offer.

·
Icon
712 Posts
I find that having been a long term customer has been beneficial. D* has been very generous over the years. My wife is retired AT&T, and we could get U-Verse at a discount. But we stay with D*, because they have always treated us fairly. D* has offered a no cost upgrade to an HR34, but I do not want to be on the bleeding edge. I did that once by purchasing an HR10-250 TIVO DVR. It was an expensive experiment which is sitting in my basement. DBSTALK rocks! Have a great day!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.