DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How far can a SWM-8 output go on an RG6 coax without any amplifiers? And, does it depend on the incoming signal level? I am guessing about 250 - 300' ?? Any help appreciated.

Dave in Atlanta
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,120 Posts
zdava said:
How far can a SWM-8 output go on an RG6 coax without any amplifiers? And, does it depend on the incoming signal level? I am guessing about 250 - 300' ?? Any help appreciated.

Dave in Atlanta
From what I have read in other forum posts it is about 150 feet without introducing an amp in the line some where.
If you have to run that far you should use RG-11 and make sure it is Solid Copper Core.
Some of the experts will give you a definitive answer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,281 Posts
It depends on the number of splitters. If there is an 8 way the limit is 150 feet, if it is 4 way 200 ft, 2 way 250 ft, no splitter 300 ft. It will likely work beyond those limits but the less margin you have the more likelihood minor problems can get you.

If you can give a bit more detail about what you are trying to do, i.e. what will be connected on the far end, is the cable already run or not, is this something that must stay within Directv specs or it is your own personal set up where you're trying to save money but you're willing to support it yourself, etc. that will help.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
It doesn't depend on the incoming signal level. It depends on the loss of the splitter(s) and the insertion loss of the connectors.

There are three main issues in play:

1. DC voltage loss over the cable between the dish and the PI
2. DECA signal loss
3. IF signal loss

As I often point out (and inkahauts notes), it is much easier to arrive at an answer if we have most of the particulars (dish run to splitter, number of DIRECTV TV boxes (including RVU TVs if they are DECA adapter equipped) and total length of cable needed).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,281 Posts
harsh said:
It doesn't depend on the incoming signal level. It depends on the loss of the splitter(s) and the insertion loss of the connectors.

There are three main issues in play:

1. DC voltage loss over the cable between the dish and the PI
2. DECA signal loss
3. IF signal loss

As I often point out (and inkahauts notes), it is much easier to arrive at an answer if we have most of the particulars (dish run to splitter, number of DIRECTV TV boxes (including RVU TVs if they are DECA adapter equipped) and total length of cable needed).
DECA loss is irrelevant here since the receivers don't need to talk down the long coax to the SWM8. The DECA only needs to make it as far as the splitter.

DC voltage loss isn't really going to be a problem for only a few hundred feet since a SWM8 is powered by a 29v power inserter, and can function with as little as 18v - probably less. An 11 volt loss when drawing only 10 watts or so would require some pretty hefty resistance. It would work fine with CCS on a pretty good sized run, though of course he'll want to use solid copper if he's running a new cable.
 

·
Beware the Attack Basset
Joined
·
24,482 Posts
slice1900 said:
DECA loss is irrelevant here since the receivers don't need to talk down the long coax to the SWM8. The DECA only needs to make it as far as the splitter.
I saw a DECA installation just last week where the splitter was mounted near the dish and the runs left in opposite directions. I'm pretty sure it was a self-install. I've also seen SWiM switches mounted near the dish.
It would work fine with CCS on a pretty good sized run, though of course he'll want to use solid copper if he's running a new cable.
It would also work fine if a professional installer was allowed to do it all. It also helps down the road with getting your system SWiM designated in DIRECTV's tracking system.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,071 Posts
Frustrating, even after years at this now I still have problems when people refer to SWiM splitters as "switches." ^_^

It still keeps thowing me off a lot with thinking it's a SWiM-8 or -16 mutiswitch that's being talked about.


Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
I agree with you !
That's Dish networks mumbo jumbo talk.
They use Multiple switches and nodes.
You should see what has to be done for a 3 hopper system. Unreal!

But a swm 8 and 16 are the switches .
Splitters are not switches.
They split a switched signal. Lol.

Those swm splitters are no different than any other splitter. I've used all kinds of different splitters with my directv system instead of those specific green label, as long as they have a power pass, and are the proper mhz, they should work fine. But of course if you are going to install a new system you should definitely use the supported equipment.
 

·
Genius.
Joined
·
20,073 Posts
damondlt said:
Those swm splitters are no different than any other splitter. I've used all kinds of different splitters with my directv system instead of those specific green label, as long as they have a power pass, and are the proper mhz, they should work fine. But of course if you are going to install a new system you should definitely use the supported equipment.
That is the keyword, with green label splitters is it guaranteed to work, they took the guess work out of the equation.
 
  • Like
Reactions: damondlt

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
damondlt said:
Those swm splitters are no different than any other splitter. I've used all kinds of different splitters with my directv system instead of those specific green label, as long as they have a power pass, and are the proper mhz, they should work fine. But of course if you are going to install a new system you should definitely use the supported equipment.
peds48 said:
That is the keyword, with green label splitters is it guaranteed to work, they took the guess work out of the equation.
The green labeled are different than other splitters.
The difference is in the 475-625 MHz range for DECA.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
veryoldschool said:
The green labeled are different than other splitters.
The difference is in the 475-625 MHz range for DECA.
I'm sure they are, but I had a non directv 2 way splitter in my setup for a year and worked no different than the 2 years prior with the 4 way it replaced.

I'm sure there are lots of different splitters, but that's why you stick with what your system requires if you are a novice.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
damondlt said:
I'm sure they are, but I had a non directv 2 way splitter in my setup for a year and worked no different than the 2 years prior with the 4 way it replaced.

I'm sure there are lots of different splitters, but that's why you stick with what your system requires if you are a novice know what you're doing.
I can do all sorts of things with splitters, but I also know what the differences are and where I can vary applications.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,276 Posts
damondlt said:
I'm sure they are, but I had a non directv 2 way splitter in my setup for a year and worked no different than the 2 years prior with the 4 way it replaced.

I'm sure there are lots of different splitters, but that's why you stick with what your system requires if you are a novice.
Didn't you complain about issues pretty often with your system? Just sayin.....
 

·
Genius.
Joined
·
20,073 Posts
inkahauts said:
Didn't you complain about issues pretty often with your system? Just sayin.....
BINGO!

Yesterday went to a service call. Customer was having issues adding a client they got dropped ship. Upon entering PIN they were getting error 48 (MoCA network degraded). Upon further inspection, I found a 4 way cable vision splitter inline. Removed that an install proper splitter. MoCA signal improve from -47 to -40. Get this, DIRECTV® had send the client because the the other one kept disconnecting from the MRV network. Wonder why!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
inkahauts said:
Didn't you complain about issues pretty often with your system? Just sayin.....
But doesn't everyone with an HR34?
Just saying.
The issue I have weren't signal or coax related.
Slow box since day one.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,276 Posts
We actually do know slow boxes can be a symptom of a bad install including wiring. We found that out with HR20-700 years ago.

With that said yes the HR34 has issues as well in some circumstances. Add two problems and problems get worse.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,455 Posts
inkahauts said:
We actually do know slow boxes can be a symptom of a bad install including wiring. We found that out with HR20-700 years ago.

With that said yes the HR34 has issues as well in some circumstances. Add two problems and problems get worse.
Agree but if you read my post I already stated that the first 2 years a green label splitter was in place, then the last year when all my equipment was replaced, I tried a different different splitter just for S&G and it worked the same.
As I already stated multiple times you should always use the supported equipment, so no reason to derail the topic any futher by unnecessary analyzing.
Again use the supported methods.

But switches are not the same as splitters which is what started this whole mess.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
damondlt said:
Agree but if you read my post I already stated that the first 2 years a green label splitter was in place, then the last year when all my equipment was replaced, I tried a different different splitter just for S&G and it worked the same.
First post where?
You seem to be highjacking a few threads these days that aren't being that helpful to the thread starter.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top