DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
17,324 Posts
Well, the Dish Network DVR's have 300x which is VERY nice. It would be great if they could add faster scan speeds. You would be surprised how much you would use them.

·
Icon
968 Posts
dafreeds said:
Just wondering, how fast 4X is?

Thanks.
~298.4 fps.

:lol: seriously, what kind of question is that anyhow.. how would you measure such a thing. 2x is faster than 1x, 3x is faster than 2x, and 4x is faster than 3x..

·
Mentor
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was just wondering. Ya know, 6 commercials, 30 seconds each.

I can count 1 Budweiser, 2 Budweiser, 3 Budweiser.

OR

1 Earl is the Bomb, 2 Earl is the Bomb, 3 Earl is the Bomb!!! :)

Thankey!

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
byron said:
~298.4 fps.

:lol: seriously, what kind of question is that anyhow.. how would you measure such a thing. 2x is faster than 1x, 3x is faster than 2x, and 4x is faster than 3x..
You would measure it relative to realtime. For example, the speeds on a TiVo are (I believe) 3x, 20x, and 60x, and very precicely so. I'm not as convinced about the precision of the speeds on the DirecTV DVRs (although I only have R15 experience). The precision is very important: training yourself to consistently skip commercials is impossible if you can't predict what will happen on your chosen speed.

·
Godfather
284 Posts
In my limited use last night with 4X, it's impractical for skipping commercials. It's way too fast, and you don't see enough frames to stop it in time, and wind up using skip back 20 times just to get to the restart of the show.

The 30s slip is much faster, though, and works great. Hit it 6-7 times, wait until you see the show and hit skip back 3-4 times.

·
Lifetime Achiever
28,939 Posts
I just tried this over my SlingBox and it was roughly 60 seconds to 4xFF through 90 minutes of recorded material. So I think it's safe to say that 4xFF is 1.5 min/sec . It's no wonder 4xFF is NOT good for commercial skipping.

·
Icon
777 Posts
Keep in mind that it's not really 1x-4x. The 1-4 designators are just representative, like 2 is faster than 1, etc.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,222 Posts
brott said:
I just tried this over my SlingBox and it was roughly 60 seconds to 4xFF through 90 minutes of recorded material. So I think it's safe to say that 4xFF is 1.5 min/sec . It's no wonder 4xFF is NOT good for commercial skipping.
On the other hand, that's only 50% faster than TiVo's fastest, which is perfect for commercial skipping (at least for me). It has something to do, I suspect, with the number of the available frames that are shown (i.e. the "smoothness" of the FF).

·
Legend
192 Posts
walters said:
On the other hand, that's only 50% faster than TiVo's fastest, which is perfect for commercial skipping (at least for me). It has something to do, I suspect, with the number of the available frames that are shown (i.e. the "smoothness" of the FF).
I think the big difference is Tivo's patented auto-skip-back feature where it will dynamically skip back more automatically depending on how fast you were fast forwarding.

·
Banned
614 Posts
dafreeds said:
Just wondering, how fast 4X is -- also, how fast are 1X, 2X and 3X?

Thanks.
1x = fast
2x = very fast
3x = very, very fast
4x = breaking sound barrier
:lol:

·
Godfather
284 Posts
pgiralt said:
I think the big difference is Tivo's patented auto-skip-back feature where it will dynamically skip back more automatically depending on how fast you were fast forwarding.
Exactly. The auto skip back stuff on tivo is the biggest thing I miss from the R10. But, I'm getting used to the 30s slip method of skipping commercials, and it's fairly fast and accurate.

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
FFW4 is not four times as fast as FFW1. It is 18 times as fast. But your have another Fast Forward that is 75 times as fast.

I posted the information below in another thread.

FAST Forward
The 0xEF release offers blazing speeds. Here are the design speeds . Your results will vary. The X in the FFW display was removed. For instance 1X was changed to 1 as 1X was misleading. 1 times playback speed is playback speed.

FFW1 - 5 times normal playback. (30 minutes in 6 minutes)

FFW2 - 12 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 2.5 minutes)
. . . . . . .This was increased slightly from 10x.

FFW3 - 20 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 1.5 minutes)

FFW4 - 90 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 20 Seconds)

SKIP1 - 300 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 6 Seconds)
. . . . . . .Press and hold FFW 3 seconds in a recording up to 60 minutes long

SKIP2 - 600 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 3 Seconds)
. . . . . . .Press and hold FFW 3 seconds in a recording of over 60 minutes long

Skip is your FFW5.

- Craig

·
DBSTalk Club Member
721 Posts
dervari said:
Keep in mind that it's not really 1x-4x. The 1-4 designators are just representative, like 2 is faster than 1, etc.
Yeah - if it were really mathematical, then 1X would be regular play.

·
Legend
159 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
FFW4 is not four times as fast as FFW1. It is 18 times as fast. But your have another Fast Forward that is 75 times as fast.

I posted the information below in another thread.

FAST Forward
The 0xEF release offers blazing speeds. Here are the design speeds . Your results will vary. The X in the FFW display was removed. For instance 1X was changed to 1 as 1X was misleading. 1 times playback speed is playback speed.

FFW1 - 5 times normal playback. (30 minutes in 6 minutes)

FFW2 - 12 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 2.5 minutes)
. . . . . . .This was increased slightly from 10x.

FFW3 - 20 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 1.5 minutes)

FFW4 - 90 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 20 Seconds)

SKIP1 - 300 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 6 Seconds)
. . . . . . .Press and hold FFW 3 seconds in a recording up to 60 minutes long

SKIP2 - 600 times normal playback speed. (30 minutes in 3 Seconds)
. . . . . . .Press and hold FFW 3 seconds in a recording of over 60 minutes long

Skip is your FFW5.

- Craig
Did SKIP1 and SKIP2 replace the SKIP-TO-TICK function that was there in previous versions or are you just indicating that in a program over one hour, the ticks are every 30 minutes so holding the button for three seconds FFWs 30 minutes in those 3 seconds?

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Did SKIP1 and SKIP2 replace the SKIP-TO-TICK?
Nope. Skip to Tick is a TiVo Trademark. Skip to Tick, SKIP1, and SKIP2 are the same things. Internally it responds differently based upon the length of the program.

- Craig

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.