Votes: 2 3.0%
  • multi story house - 40+ foot mast

Votes: 1 1.5%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Godfather
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How high did you mount your antenna?

And are you happy with the decision you made on the height?

I am in the Bay Area (Sunnyvale - 94087)...

My antenna installer is highly suggesting a 20 foot mast...

A friend of mine is recommending a 40 foot...but thinks a 30 foot at the very minimum....

I want to avoid an eyesore... but also want to ensure that I get a good signal...

Any comments and feedback appreciated!

· Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
A tv antenna is not an eyesore, it is a beautiful thing that
brings the world into your home.

Higher is better -- it is your perspective that must change.

· Hall Of Fame
4,010 Posts
My RS U75-R is mounted on a 28' telescoping mast based on the ground and attached to the roof peak of my house. I still have to use an urban pre-amp (Winegard HDP-269) to receive my two weak sisters (0.98kW and 0.96kW) from 6.5 miles away.

· Banned
11,498 Posts
jdspencer said:
Single story house with a five foot mast.
Ditto. I have a Radio Shack VU190 on a 5 foot mast on a single story house. Used to pick up stations from all over in Canada, what helps is I live on what is esstentially a 130 foot hill. I practically had Sunday Ticket for free. Haven't used the thing in a few years now though.

· Cool Member/Supporter
246 Posts
MikeekiM said:

A friend of mine is recommending a 40 foot...but thinks a 30 foot at the very minimum....

I want to avoid an eyesore... but also want to ensure that I get a good signal...

Single story mounted in the attic on a 3 foot pole. I get all the Phoenix digitals near 100%.
I am at least 35 miles from the towers

· AllStar
64 Posts
You need an option for "Set-top".

I'm about 20 miles from the cluster, predominantly flat terrain with trees, using a Winegard WS-1000 and receiving most networks perfectly.

... and yes, that beast is set top ... because I haven't hauled my lazy a$$ up to the attic to mount it in our new home.

- Shane

· AllStar
81 Posts
I have a 10ft pole clamped to my wife's cloth line pole behind the house. The antena has a pre-amp and all the local digital channels come in good. I do need to replace the old cable from the antena to the house(cable has to be 15+ or older). My neighbors hate all the antenas I have up. Two dual LNB dishes, left up when the AT9 was installed for HD. They complain about them all the time BUT at least I can watch TV! Comcast is all ways at their house.

· Cool Member
23 Posts
Tower Guy said:
My 4228 is on a 125' tower. It's high enough, but I need more gain.
No problem,just duplicate this....20+db gain and extreme directivity.CM rotors need not apply.A Ham rotor such as a Yaesu G800 DXA with variable speed control is needed to slow the turning proccess enough to match the directivity of the stack.

http://community-2.webtv.net/GregBarker/NewTowerAntennas/

Wish I had a 125ft Tower.Can't have too much metal,or too much height when you're in the boonies!

· Hall Of Fame
2,535 Posts
MikeekiM said:

I'm in Santa Cruz and put my antenna on the mount from the old 3LNB dish we used to have before the HR20 upgrade. I just have a Winegard GS2200 and I get all our stations here. (which happens to be a whopping 6!)

I would guess that with a similar setup you could probably pick up all your stations as well. The bulk of the SJ channels broadcast from Mt. St. Bruno. SF channels from Sutro.

The antenna I got is bidirectional, because most of my channels are in one spot, the one excpetion happens to be about 180* away, so this antenna works perfect for me....

Overall though, you're not looking at a ton of mileage to get all the SJ/SF channels, so I don't think you need a monstrosity!

I picked up my antenna on ebay for like $15, and I figured if it didn't work then I'd look into going bigger and better....

· Legend
135 Posts
45.5 miles away from Chicago broadcast location for most channels and have a Phillips antenna from Menards in the attic generally facing the broadcasters and get all channels avail in Chicago with minor problems most likely associated with Ohare between me and the broadcasters. (occasional tiling fairly rare)

· Godfather
439 Posts
My antenna(s) are in my very open large attic.

I have a small GPS device and can measure the actual elevation (within the GPS error margin) of my antenna. Does anyone know how or where to find out the above-sea-level altitude for the tranmitters atop TV station towers?

My antennas are very directional and getting a pretty good signal from about 40 miles away. If those towers are a thousand feet higher than my antenna, for example, I wonder if a slight upward tilt of my antenna might get me a little stronger signal. Then again, a 1/211 slope isn't much. But if there is a more significant elevation difference, a little up-angle in my antenna "might" be worth it. I've got one tower 4.1 miles from me and the altitude difference may be much more significant. It's also been the hardest one to receive well.

Just a thought.

· Legend
151 Posts
terk slimline with amplifier located in the attic of a two story house. 40 miles N of NYC. Very happy with the decision for now, will see what happens in the spring when the leaves come back on the trees Now if I could effectively mount the 5lnb in the attic my wife would be extremely happy..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.