DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the limits of the "Normal" temperature range for a DTivo is? I had one of my units shut down due to being too hot. When I turned it back on the next day, the Temp said "Normal" but it was still at 63 degrees Celsius. I bought a USB fan mat and have had it running beneath the unit for over 24 Hours and Temp is now down to 57, but that still seems high. My HR10-250 runs at around 40. The hot model is a Hughes GXCEBOT, with a 9th Tee daughter card for networking. I will open it up in the next day or two to see if there is a malfunctioning fan inside. Any thoughts?

· Icon
507 Posts
The S1 DTiVos are notorious for overheating. When I had one, I considered any temp over 53º C as excessively hot. I had to put a 5 in. external fan blowing from back to front to keep it cool. Elevating the unit about 1 in. will help also. The internal fan can become coated with dust and consequentially move less air, so open it up and clean it.

· Icon
808 Posts
Anything above 50 degrees C is too high. The normal temp should be in the low to mid 40's. Make sure you have adequate space around the base of the DTivo to allow proper air circulation. The S1 DTivos draw air in from the bottom of the chassis.

I always ran my S1 DTivos with the covers off to allow for proper cooling. The case design was poorly conceived for these units and they tended to overheat and shorten the life of the hard drives. If you can't operate the DTivo with the cover off then make sure it's not in an enclosed cabinet. Try raising the unit slightly by placing a couple of strips of wood underneath the edge of the chassis to provide a wider air gap. Check the fan to make sure it's working and that there isn't a lot of dust buildup inside of the unit.

· Banned
614 Posts
OrlandoJoe said:
Does anyone know what the limits of the "Normal" temperature range for a DTivo is? I had one of my units shut down due to being too hot. When I turned it back on the next day, the Temp said "Normal" but it was still at 63 degrees Celsius. I bought a USB fan mat and have had it running beneath the unit for over 24 Hours and Temp is now down to 57, but that still seems high. My HR10-250 runs at around 40. The hot model is a Hughes GXCEBOT, with a 9th Tee daughter card for networking. I will open it up in the next day or two to see if there is a malfunctioning fan inside. Any thoughts?
Check fan and ventilation.

· Banned
4,642 Posts
All of mine run below 45. For what it's worth, during the boot phase the Tivo log shows:

Terminal temp: 71
Critical temp: 62
Logging temp: 60
Target temp: 50

On the other hand my R15-500 is running at 52 and the fan isn't even running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.