DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Godfather
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have EI, and Mlb.tv premium subscription, and neither will show me the national FOX game ( like the one on Sat between Phillies/Rockies) in Seattle. They have some other west coast game on my local Fox station. I wish they at least use the 2nd digital channel ( 13-2 for example) to show the game from the other coast...

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
Same way the ABC regional college football games are on "national" TV. It is a national network.

· Super Moderator
13,787 Posts
I'm pretty sure this has to do with the funky MLB rules on what gets aired where and has little to do with whatever service provider is airing that particular channel.

I've searched and I can't seem to find a one single explanation as to what MLB's blackout rules are. I can find bits and pieces as they seem to apply to certain situations but I've never found one single set of rules that applies to all of MLB.

Does anyone know where that list may be? Just a single coherent list that lets you read tomorrow's schedule and know who's going to be blacked out, where they'll be blacked out, and who isn't going to be blacked out.

This is a good-ish explanation but it really doesn't let me look at tomorrow's games and figure it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_blackout_policy

Mike

· Hall Of Fame
3,715 Posts
MicroBeta said:
I'm pretty sure this has to do with the funky MLB rules on what gets aired where and has little to do with whatever service provider is airing that particular channel.

I've searched and I can't seem to find a one single explanation as to what MLB's blackout rules are. I can find bits and pieces as they seem to apply to certain situations but I've never found one single set of rules that applies to all of MLB.

Does anyone know where that list may be? Just a single coherent list that lets you read tomorrow's schedule and know who's going to be blacked out, where they'll be blacked out, and who isn't going to be blacked out.

This is a good-ish explanation but it really doesn't let me look at tomorrow's games and figure it out.

Mike
Its not too complicated. On Sundays no games that start after 5:05 PM ET can be televised except Texas home games, which are excluded from MLBEI. On Saturday afternoons (4-7 PM ET) you can only watch the Fox game that your local affiliate provides. Most if not all other games are televised and are part of MLBEI. What part don't you understand?

If a certain feed of a game isn't available its because the rights holder chose not to televise it themselves, it wasn't blacked out, weekday games don't get blacked out, only the above mentioned weekend ones.

· Icon
553 Posts
Also need to note that the Fox Saturday Games are not National Games but Regional Games that are broadcast in various markets.

Has been this way for years.

I also share in the frustration of not being able to just pick the Fox Games that suits you most or view all of the Fox Saturday feeds.

That said though there is zero chance of that happening until the current contract expires.

2013 I believe.

· Legend
163 Posts
Boston_bill said:
LOL no kidding. I hate the whole regional Saturday thing. FOX Sports sucks in general
I have to agree. When anything is shown on Fox sports national I cringe cuz they rarely use 1080 to broadcast games. It's almost always 720. ick. NBC's Sunday Night Football, conversely, shows a crystal clear 1080 picture. The difference between the two is quite noticeable.

· Icon
925 Posts
homebase said:
I have to agree. When anything is shown on Fox sports national I cringe cuz they rarely use 1080 to broadcast games. It's almost always 720. ick. NBC's Sunday Night Football, conversely, shows a crystal clear 1080 picture. The difference between the two is quite noticeable.
FOX never broadcasts in 1080i. Same goes with ESPN.

· Legend
158 Posts
MicroBeta said:

Mike
The list is kept in Bud Selig's dirty underwear hamper. So far, noone has been brave/crazy enough to attempt to retrieve it. :hurah:

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
Aw, come on, people. It ain't a mystery. Fox has EXCLUSIVE rights during the Saturday period when their games are on. It does not matter if they show a national game or regional. No other games are available except the one they put on your local Fox station. Period.

· Godfather
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tonyd79 said:
Aw, come on, people. It ain't a mystery. Fox has EXCLUSIVE rights during the Saturday period when their games are on. It does not matter if they show a national game or regional. No other games are available except the one they put on your local Fox station. Period.
I have no objection to exclusivity or not. All I care is I can see what is dubbed as a national game ( when I see mlb.tv ) on my local TV..

· Icon
553 Posts
Fox doesn't dub their Saturday games as National Games, they are regional.

It would be different if there was one stand alone game broadcast across the entire Country and being shown on all Fox affiliates.

Like the ESPN Sunday Night Game.

Apples and Oranges.

That said I wish Fox would make the out of market feeds available through the EI package Much like the NHL used to do with NBC on their Sunday Regional Games when they did regional a couple of years ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.